The club is a shambles - was easier to succeed than to fail!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MB86DFC
Team Supported: Darlington

The club is a shambles - was easier to succeed than to fail!

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:58 pm

If we had folded in january then we could have got a new club submitted in time for the next season, march was the deadline wasn't it?

It was obvious 500k wasn't going to be hit

Now we need to look at things realistically, I think there has been too much false hope over the last 6 months (people thinking raj would stick to his deal, 500k being hit, appeal being accepted). We need to accept this and make sure we are not budgeting unrealistic amounts based on projected donations by fans and businesses. All we should budget is what the revenue generated on te pitch will bring.

GreathamDarlo

Re: The club is a shambles - was easier to succeed than to f

Post by GreathamDarlo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:02 pm

I have read and re-read Shaun's OP and I'm totally gutted he would post something like this.
Pre season starting tomorrow, open day at Bishop, 1883 busting a gut in their voluntary roles and Martin doing his utmost to build a team, and Shaun who I believed wanted to SUPPORT the club Moving forward writes such a downer of a post.

Shaun, if you have something to say why not write ALL of it instead of hint at something and leave us guessing the rest?

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:16 pm

MB86DFC wrote:If we had folded in january then we could have got a new club submitted in time for the next season, march was the deadline wasn't it?

It was obvious 500k wasn't going to be hit

Now we need to look at things realistically, I think there has been too much false hope over the last 6 months (people thinking raj would stick to his deal, 500k being hit, appeal being accepted). We need to accept this and make sure we are not budgeting unrealistic amounts based on projected donations by fans and businesses. All we should budget is what the revenue generated on te pitch will bring.
We would have had to have the start up fund of 200,000 quid raised, all the administrative issues regarding a board and registration etc sorted and a ground squared away in about 6/7 weeks from the January D-Day to the march registration deadline.

I don't think it would've been realistic to manage that and I dont think we would have had enough people left supporting us if we missed said deadline to see us mount any kind of challenge the year after.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:17 pm

We really do need to give our heads a shake. There is no way that this club would ever have been revived if we had gone pop. 18 months down the road and the average Jo Darlington Public would have got used to life without a football club. Once the momentum has gone it is gone. You end up with nothing to sell.

bigbitchtits
Team Supported: Sunderland

Post by bigbitchtits » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:57 am

shaun campbell wrote:How are we here in this ridiculous situation? when we had the world at our feet and a golden opportunity to do something wonderful, innovative and dynamic for both Darlington FC and the town...and the world of football?

The communities of Darlington, the North East, and the wider world of football were watching and supporting with pride and passion following the dramatic events of January 18th through to mid-February.

Dress it up how you like, but the dramatic downturn of events occurred following the transition from the 'Darlington Football Club Rescue Group' to the '1883 group' - it's been down hill all the way, until we are where we are now, rock bottom!

Stop patting yourselves on the back and get real. Playing with 128 years of history is no joke - this is a serious matter with significant implications and dire consequences for bad practice as has now been proven.

I am on this message board as me, Shaun Campbell. It is my choice to be transparent and open on here. I have no doubt that most of you on this site are are good descent people who genuinely want to contribute positively and get involved with the various discussions going on - you know who you are and I applaud you.

But, for some of you, it is easy to hide behind your tag names and insult one another and point the finger while you 'splash' over your keyboard.

Constant Blaming of Raj and the FA? for what? To find the answers to your questions about what has gone on, just look at who the winners and losers are!!

My advice? have the confidence in your views and the courage of your conviction to stand up and be counted as who you are. What's the matter, cat got your tongue?

Respect.

Shaun.
Shut the fuck up you publicity hunting ball bag. You've met with Blatter and appeared on page 4 of the Northern Echo....WELL DONE! Pipe down and stop bleating on about Feethams, man-up and get behind this fan driven club if you're game.

No offence , but you just annoy me.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:35 am

bigbitchtits wrote: Shut the fuck up you publicity hunting ball bag. You've met with Blatter and appeared on page 4 of the Northern Echo....WELL DONE! Pipe down and stop bleating on about Feethams, man-up and get behind this fan driven club if you're game.

If ever there was a post to put someone in their place, then that was it. :lol:

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

wishmaster3211

Post by wishmaster3211 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:35 am

Liquidating in February (or indeed doing what we did in the end back then) gave enough time to be registered and entered in competitions. Not much, but enough. Historically most Clubs that have gone pop have not done a Rushden. I think Shaun is alluding to the decision not to go with the SD option back then, but there is an awful lot you can read between the lines of what he is saying. Would be better if we didn't have to do that!

Tremendous respect for the guy, but not sure what has prompted this outburst. I can only assume it has to do with the Look North interview.

In the circumstances it isn't helpful as we need all the people that were willing to put money into the Club in February to cough up now, thats the biggest challenge! Unless of course that is what he is saying!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:19 am

As far as I can see it our only other option was to liquidate earlier and to register as a phoenix for the new season because no matter what happens there was going to be a roadblock that - I don't believe for a second that was ever prepared to let go without an unattainable price (recent comments back this up saying we can't say anything because we didn't put as much money into the club as they did)

shaun mentions that on meeting him he never suspected that there would be any issue in making an arrangement, unfortunately, i think what has been shown time and time again the individual we were dealing with was a bit of a master in saying 1 thing and actually doing another!

I commend what shaun did because no matter what happens I felt we kept our integrity by finishing the season. Fact remains though, it was actually his actions that prevented us from starting again early enough.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:03 pm

bigbitchtits wrote:Shut the fuck up you publicity hunting ball bag. You've met with Blatter and appeared on page 4 of the Northern Echo....WELL DONE! Pipe down and stop bleating on about Feethams, man-up and get behind this fan driven club if you're game.

I really think it's time you got off the fence! ;)

Odd post, odd timing - quite surprised to see it from someone who was/is so close to the situation.

The last few months have been painful, but we are where we are and we have to lump it. To be honest, they're are bigger things in life to worry about.

I'm looking forward to getting back into football again, regardless of at what level and in whose ground, and putting the last few months/years/chairmen behind us. If we have a good-to-great season, I'm not too bothered about what league we're in as long as there is a club to follow and it's fun.

It's a case of 'in 1883/Pinnegar we trust' for me - pointless looking back over what if's now, really.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:09 pm

I heard a while back that the trust had been told that Singh preferred the SD/trust route, and I think underground there could be resentment from certain individuals that we did not take that route.

But let's face it, if true, they are basing it on what Singh said, and that should immediately rule that route out as a realistic option.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:19 pm

beatroute66 wrote:

I'm looking forward to getting back into football again, regardless of at what level and in whose ground, and putting the last few months/years/chairmen behind us. If we have a good-to-great season, I'm not too bothered about what league we're in as long as there is a club to follow and it's fun.
Actually, this is it for me too, and I didnt think it would be.

Felt pretty jaded with football in general towards the end of last season, it was more the constant reminder that it could be our last game ever, every week.

The way the FA have acted had distanced me from football as a whole too, I havent watched much of the Euros because of it, however, the energy of people involved with ensuring Darlo survive is quite infectious, and at this stage I want the season to start so we can begin our journey back (however long it takes) and I hope Im there to say to the FA 'we are here because of us, and despite your best efforts'

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:27 pm

shawry wrote:Actually, this is it for me too, and I didnt think it would be.

Felt pretty jaded with football in general towards the end of last season, it was more the constant reminder that it could be our last game ever, every week.

The way the FA have acted had distanced me from football as a whole too, I havent watched much of the Euros because of it, however, the energy of people involved with ensuring Darlo survive is quite infectious, and at this stage I want the season to start so we can begin our journey back (however long it takes) and I hope Im there to say to the FA 'we are here because of us, and despite your best efforts'
Good stuff.

The bulk of football is bollocks anyway. The frustration of the last few months/years as far as DFC is concerned is that it's clearly rotten to the core, and not just the Premier League or whatever. Reynolds, Houghton, Singh, The FA and so on have come out of this appallingly and I have very little faith in any of them.

It's the reason I'm behind us, 1883 and the club as it is now - I don't sense any hidden agendas or knives waiting to be sunk in.

Sure, errors will be made and people will moan, but it strikes me that every decision will be made from the heart as against from some ulterior motive.

I'm utterly done with clowns like those listed above - they gave next-to- nothing, really. Fine, pump your money in & build stupid ego-driven stadiums, but where did it get any of us? Northern League and ground sharing with Bishop Auckland? Great plan, fellas - top businessmen.

Darlo Pirate

Post by Darlo Pirate » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:53 pm

I appreciate Shaun's efforts to date, but either that post was as they say in the PR trade...err dumb.

Haji el Maveric

Post by Haji el Maveric » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:05 pm

It seems that anyone who posts anything critical of Darlington 1883 is labeled bitter. Certainly 1883 haven't covered themselves in glory - the Clowncube fiasco being a case in point. Then we had the rush to groundshare with Shildon, the confusion over the football share and the phoenix club issue. And now we have the proposed new name.
I respect Shaun and his opinions.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:11 pm

Haji el Maveric wrote:It seems that anyone who posts anything critical of Darlington 1883 is labeled bitter. Certainly 1883 haven't covered themselves in glory - the Clowncube fiasco being a case in point. Then we had the rush to groundshare with Shildon, the confusion over the football share and the phoenix club issue. And now we have the proposed new name.
You might be right on some issues but CrowdCube wasn't a fiasco, it was a massive success. We failed to hit targets due to other reasons. CC raised far more money in a short period of time than any other option. Why do you think otherwise?

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Haji el Maveric wrote:It seems that anyone who posts anything critical of Darlington 1883 is labeled bitter. Certainly 1883 haven't covered themselves in glory - the Clowncube fiasco being a case in point. Then we had the rush to groundshare with Shildon, the confusion over the football share and the phoenix club issue. And now we have the proposed new name.
Everyone has a right to opinions and we should be thankful that we live in a country of free speech.
However, his childish and badly written snipe at the 1883 board clearly shows bitterness and does not provide any help whatsoever to help the new club move forward - which, at the end of the day, is what "this" is all about - it's not about the 1883 board and it's not about any individuals who may or may not have got things quite right.
We are at a critical point as we start to get back to the "day job" of playing and watching football and start this mammoth task of climbing back to the Football League.
We don't need lead weights around our necks in the form of fans who have turned bitter - we have plenty of other challenges still to overcome.
Every challenge the 1883 board have faced has been enormous - try to agree a CVA, try to get players to sign a deal to defer wage payments, agree a deal to stay at the arena - didn't work, have problems after signing a deal with Shildon, so have to go to Bishop for a groundshare, get a new manager in, sort out a playing budget, attend FA hearings (involving lots and lots of prep work), prepare an appeal, attend the appeal, sort out the new playing kits, sort out admission fees and season tickets, get sponsors in, sort out transport, sort out temporary stands....
That's a long list but I am sure I have missed off at least 500 things.
The 1883 board have their own jobs/businesses to take of away from giving Darlo a future.
Certainly mistakes were made and this much has been admitted - but more digs at them about this? Why? Where will this get us?
Give them some slack please - and better still, a bit more support.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:21 pm

I think Shaun's comments are fair enough in that I can understand the frustration. If I'd busted my balls to save the club from its deathbed and kickstarted a load of momentum which reached national TV etc. only to see that eventually the club ends up no better off than if it had gone to the wall, then I'd be frustrated at that. As we all are. That said, personally I don't think there can be to much cause for fingerpointing at others involved in the rescue attempt - decisions for the best of the club were made based on what was known about certain situations, people and football associations at the time.

Some of the responses on here have been a bit over the top. I'd be interested to hear more from Shaun's point of view on how he thinks things played out.

tinshedender

Post by tinshedender » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:27 pm

The sooner the new season starts the better.
We can all get back to arguing over football matters,team selection, tactics etc.
Nobody who loves Darlo has been immune from the emotional termoil over the last 6 months.
We all react in different ways to berevement, and believe me the last months have been exactly that.
It is the passion and love for our club that sometimes results in tired and emotional
topics and posts on here, and I am as guilty as anyone else.
I am not angry with the ex chairman whose name I refuse to acknowledge, he is a symptom of the corruption pervading football condoned by the Football Association.

It is the F.A. who have relegated us 4 divisions,it is the F.A who are making us change our name. It is the F.A who I despise , 'Fit and proper to own a football club', Total bollocks.

We were hammered because we are a small club and they could get away with it, and because of that I am more determined than ever to try and make the the future a success.

Today has been the best day for many months for our club, time to bury hatchets and look forward to our first home game, or is it away ?

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm not really interested in Shaun's negative opinions. Can we get rid of this shitty thread? Time to move on. Onwards and upwards.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.