The way football is run by many as a plaything for the rich.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Big Tim
Team Supported: Darlington

The way football is run by many as a plaything for the rich.

Post by Big Tim » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:14 pm

http://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/footba ... y_buy_out/

How would this even be Possible or legal?

MikeinBlack

Re: The way football is run by many as a plaything for the r

Post by MikeinBlack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Didn't Airdrie buy out Clydebank and become Airdrie Utd? Didn't Wimbledon up sticks and move towns and become Milton Keynes Dons?

I'd say that if the money's there then it could happen. Why Bury, because they are within Rangers financial means and far enough down the ladder not to step on any of the big boys toes, but yet high enough up the ladder to be Championship/Premiership within a couple of seasons. Maybe?
COME ON DARLO!

funksoul

Post by funksoul » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:41 pm

its getting like nfl etc

wishmaster3211

Post by wishmaster3211 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Scandalous if they were even considering it. Not enough money to pay the creditors but plenty to buy a whole other Club ? Disgusting.

Apparently a lot of the SPL Clubs are declaring they will vote to kick Team 12 out...5 needed, 3 have said they will vote them out so far. Motherwell are having a fans vote on it.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:00 pm

I've heard that Hearts and Dundee Utd are in favour of demoting Rangers, and I would suspect that Dunfermline (assuming they get a vote {incidentally did I see somewhere that Rangers were getting a vote?}) would vote them out in an attempt to keep their place in the SPL.
COME ON DARLO!

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:02 pm

MikeinBlack wrote:I've heard that Hearts and Dundee Utd are in favour of demoting Rangers, and I would suspect that Dunfermline (assuming they get a vote {incidentally did I see somewhere that Rangers were getting a vote?}) would vote them out in an attempt to keep their place in the SPL.
what are Celtic doing?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Big Tim wrote:http://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/footba ... y_buy_out/

It's not that long ago that it was rumoured that Rangers might be looking to take over Darlo, when Wildes was sniffing around.

To be honest I think there may have been something in it.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Big Tim wrote:http://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/footba ... y_buy_out/

It's not that long ago that it was rumoured that Rangers might be looking to take over Darlo, when Wildes was sniffing around.

To be honest I think there may have been something in it.
Bet the FA would have allowed that, no Northern League then. I mean how could the smaller NL teams manage to afford to travel all the way to Glasgow to play us? lol.
COME ON DARLO!

princes town

Post by princes town » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:08 pm

It feels like UK league on the horizon. Rangers buy Bury, get up to the Premier and move back to Scotland. At which point Celtic join up. I know it sounds far-fetched but after today I can believe anything.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 pm

princes town wrote:
MikeinBlack wrote:I've heard that Hearts and Dundee Utd are in favour of demoting Rangers, and I would suspect that Dunfermline (assuming they get a vote {incidentally did I see somewhere that Rangers were getting a vote?}) would vote them out in an attempt to keep their place in the SPL.
what are Celtic doing?

Not seen anything on their viewpoint. Difficult for them, vote them out and there is likely no serious competition fro the title and no decent players will relish playing for them. Vote them in and Celtic may not win the league and could miss out on Champions League football.
COME ON DARLO!

princes town

Post by princes town » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:17 pm

MikeinBlack wrote:
princes town wrote:
what are Celtic doing?

Not seen anything on their viewpoint. Difficult for them, vote them out and there is likely no serious competition fro the title and no decent players will relish playing for them. Vote them in and Celtic may not win the league and could miss out on Champions League football.[/quote

I don't think it is automatic Celtic will vote against them. If they did vote them back they would have to sell it to their fans by saying it is 'a business decision' or 'we did it in the best interests of the SPL'.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:17 pm

BBC article tonight regarding how the SPL teams may vote.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18539483
COME ON DARLO!

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:38 pm

princes town wrote:It feels like UK league on the horizon. Rangers buy Bury, get up to the Premier and move back to Scotland. At which point Celtic join up. I know it sounds far-fetched but after today I can believe anything.
Well, the bigger Welsh clubs play in the English Football set up, and Berwick (which is half in England still I believe?) play in the Scottish set up. Not forgetting Gretna used to play in English non league before being admitted into the Scottish League, where it went pear shaped for them.

So, to a lesser extent the UK (or more aptly, the British) League is sort of here in a way already.
COME ON DARLO!

Dave_from_London

Post by Dave_from_London » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:48 pm

If Rangers don't play in the SPL then it might be the final nail in the coffin for Scottish football.

princes town

Post by princes town » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:53 pm

Dave_from_London wrote:If Rangers don't play in the SPL then it might be the final nail in the coffin for Scottish football.
I agree which is why I think Celtic may support Rangers on this one.

CSJambo
Team Supported: Heart of Midlothian

Post by CSJambo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:11 am

Scottish Football is in need of serious reform especially some of the clauses for voting and the financial distribution. The old firm theoretically have/had a veto for everything a "diddy" proposes. (11-1 voting). Also it is getting a wee bit boring.

Motherwell are in an akward position - the Board are trustee's/have Power of Attorney for a fan's membership/ownership scheme hence the ballot.

On the Gretna/Berwick cases, both are within 5 miles of the border so in some respects it is easier (at least for Berwick) to play in the leagues across the border by the time travel is factored in. Berwick are mentioned in the articles of association for the SFA/SFL as an exception to the playing in Scotland rule, and I assume the FA and relevant leagues had the same exception written in for Gretna until they went to play in the SFL.

I also do not thing a britain wide league is feasible. Imagine Plymouth, Exeter or Torquay vs Elgin, Wick or Ross County. At the moment the SFA are trying to get a pyramid system into place in the Scottish Leagues.

grytters

Post by grytters » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:27 am

And money talking down in the lower leagues as well -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... ponsorship
Bring Back the Quarters

Darlo4eva2012

Post by Darlo4eva2012 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:44 pm

wishmaster3211 wrote:Apparently a lot of the SPL Clubs are declaring they will vote to kick Team 12 out...5 needed, 3 have said they will vote them out so far. Motherwell are having a fans vote on it.
this is a desision i cannot understand, the SPL clubs should all vote for Rangers to be in, without Rangers and the Old Firm games they will have Celtic winning the title by 20 or 30 points unchallenged and that will be the death of the SPL

Darlo4eva2012

Post by Darlo4eva2012 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:47 pm

princes town wrote:It feels like UK league on the horizon. Rangers buy Bury, get up to the Premier and move back to Scotland. At which point Celtic join up. I know it sounds far-fetched but after today I can believe anything.
I would love that, we already have Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham in the English system, as the Welsh Leauge is amatuer - all we would need is to add Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Motherwell to the English system somewhere around Leauge 1 or 2 and put the SPL as Leauge 3 or something with the rest of the clubs, from the SPL and Scot Div 1, the others can play in an amatuer 'Leauge of Scotland' similar to the current Leauge of Wales

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Darlo4eva2012 wrote:
wishmaster3211 wrote:Apparently a lot of the SPL Clubs are declaring they will vote to kick Team 12 out...5 needed, 3 have said they will vote them out so far. Motherwell are having a fans vote on it.
this is a desision i cannot understand, the SPL clubs should all vote for Rangers to be in, without Rangers and the Old Firm games they will have Celtic winning the title by 20 or 30 points unchallenged and that will be the death of the SPL
Maybe they are putting honesty and integrity ahead of personal gain? Maybe they are simply saying that enough is enough and that the Scottish League will survive with more competition for 2nd place, maybe they are prepared to cut the fans a bit of slack and treat them with respect. Maybe it will be a good thing in the end....maybe.
COME ON DARLO!

CSJambo
Team Supported: Heart of Midlothian

Post by CSJambo » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:51 pm

What happens to liquidated clubs in the past in Scotland
Airdrieonians - reformed as Airdrie Utd, in SFL 2 after buying out Clydebank who where heading the same way.
Clydebank - following being bought out, moved and renamed, a phoenix club is now playing in the Juniors
Gretna - phoenix in the east of scotland league
Rangers - ????? but should not be allowed back into the SPL.