Darlington cricket club

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Darlington cricket club

Post by princes town » Wed May 09, 2012 9:30 am

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... fans_told/

I'm sorry but Darlington cricket club should not have full planning consent for residential development. That land was designated for sporting purposes only and I can't believe nobody has objected to this proposal. I refuse to even enter that cricket ground as they are a disgrace to the town. Harsh but true.

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington cricket club

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 am

Personally I think this is all brovado by the cricket club sticking two fingers up at us.

Can we have the name of the builder please? I bet it isn't a national one, as they would run a mile over this development as there are too many obstacles to overrun - ie access, potential flooding issues etc.

They can go ahead and build but only a fool would buy a house their beacuse there is too many risks- despite what anyone else says, the housing market is as flat as a pancake at the moment - and there wouldn't be the returns on the development.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

MB86DFC

Darlington cricket club

Post by MB86DFC » Wed May 09, 2012 10:53 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Personally I think this is all brovado by the cricket club sticking two fingers up at us.

Can we have the name of the builder please? I bet it isn't a national one, as they would run a mile over this development as there are too many obstacles to overrun - ie access, potential flooding issues etc.

They can go ahead and build but only a fool would buy a house their beacuse there is too many risks- despite what anyone else says, the housing market is as flat as a pancake at the moment - and there wouldn't be the returns on the development.
Utter bollocks.

sasha44

Post by sasha44 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:20 am

The builders are the Esh group who bought the land years ago.

Mazz Javerick

Post by Mazz Javerick » Wed May 09, 2012 11:22 am

MB86DFC wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Personally I think this is all brovado by the cricket club sticking two fingers up at us.

Utter bollocks.
Agreed

Is it me or is this place even more awash with failed-at-life dimwits and their 'opinions' than usual?

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed May 09, 2012 11:23 am

Mazz Javerick wrote:
MB86DFC wrote:

Utter bollocks.
Agreed

Is it me or is this place even more awash with failed-at-life dimwits and their 'opinions' than usual?
Well we TRIED banning you, but you came back ;)
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Mazz Javerick

Post by Mazz Javerick » Wed May 09, 2012 11:25 am

mikkyx wrote:
Like my posting style or not Mikky, I at least hold a modicum of intelligence, unlike the people I am judged to 'abuse' on here.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:27 am

Mazz Javerick wrote:
MB86DFC wrote:

Utter bollocks.
Agreed

I am a qualified accountant (so I can call myself a professional) earning 40k plus per annum - so I aint done bad for a "failed-at-life dimwit". ;)
Greg Norman

Mazz Javerick

Post by Mazz Javerick » Wed May 09, 2012 11:29 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote: I am a qualified accountant (so I can call myself a professional) earning 40k plus per annum - so I aint done bad for a "failed-at-life dimwit". ;)
:lol:

Errr yeah, apologies Sir Richard Branson.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed May 09, 2012 11:30 am

Mazz Javerick wrote:
mikkyx wrote:
Like my posting style or not Mikky, I at least hold a modicum of intelligence, unlike the people I am judged to 'abuse' on here.
'twas a joke, fella. Get back on the Glee DVDs!
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:32 am

Mazz Javerick wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote: I am a qualified accountant (so I can call myself a professional) earning 40k plus per annum - so I aint done bad for a "failed-at-life dimwit". ;)

Yes I am a failure :oops: didnt realise you were trying to compare me to Dick Branson.
Greg Norman

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed May 09, 2012 11:33 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Mazz Javerick wrote:
MB86DFC wrote:

Utter bollocks.
Agreed

I am a qualified accountant (so I can call myself a professional) earning 40k plus per annum - so I aint done bad for a "failed-at-life dimwit". ;)
I earn more than 40 grand a year and I'm a dimwit. Well, I went to Carmel anyway. Personally I think it'd be nice to enter talks with the Cricket Club on a way forward/return to Feethams. I don't think it'll help to start bad mouthing them on here.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed May 09, 2012 11:35 am

potential flooding issues etc.
Did the Skerne ever flood the football ground? The pitch problems we had were down to poor drainage. Anyway isn't the Victoria Embankment side lower?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 pm

It seems that planning approval was granted in 2009, but no sign of any building work yet. Doesn't the approval run out this year?
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Mazz Javerick

Post by Mazz Javerick » Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Mazz Javerick wrote:

Yes I am a failure :oops: didnt realise you were trying to compare me to Dick Branson.
To be honest I was laughing at your crass attempt to gain credibility by telling a stranger on the internet how much you earn.

Mazz Javerick

Post by Mazz Javerick » Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 pm

mikkyx wrote:
Mazz Javerick wrote:
mikkyx wrote:
'twas a joke, fella. Get back on the Glee DVDs!
:lol: Fucking headshot there son!

sasha44

Post by sasha44 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Mick wrote:
Mazz Javerick wrote:
MB86DFC wrote:

Utter bollocks.
Agreed

I earn more than 40 grand a year and I'm a dimwit. Well, I went to Carmel anyway. Personally I think it'd be nice to enter talks with the Cricket Club on a way forward/return to Feethams. I don't think it'll help to start bad mouthing them on here.
The cricket club dont own the land any more. They sold it to the Esh group , who have full planning permission to build houses . They intend to start building in the summer.

sasha44

Post by sasha44 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Lawman3 wrote:It seems that planning approval was granted in 2009, but no sign of any building work yet. Doesn't the approval run out this year?
You normally get 5 years to start the foundations from the date planning was approved.

princes town

Post by princes town » Wed May 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Mick wrote:
Mazz Javerick wrote:
MB86DFC wrote:

Utter bollocks.
Agreed

I'd like to understand more about the planning permission rather than the geophysical issues. Sporting covenants are covenants when all said and done. I don't give a monkey about towny sensitivities to be honest.

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 09, 2012 1:02 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will) but my understanding is Esh have paid a deposit on the land to the CC which give them first refusal at the price of £1.7m which is why the comment about us needing £1.7m to buy the land comes from.

I think it's wrong that they've been allowed planning permission on the land given it was supposedly left in trust for sporting use however it's now too late to do much about this - getting that overturned would take too long so IMO it's not an option if we want to be back in Darlington within a decent timeframe.

I'd like to see the campaign to save it kept up though as the CC should never have been allowed to cash in, it's just a shame our eyes were off the ball at the time planning was being sought - if action had been taken then who knows...

princes town

Post by princes town » Wed May 09, 2012 1:05 pm

divas wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will) but my understanding is Esh have paid a deposit on the land to the CC which give them first refusal at the price of £1.7m which is why the comment about us needing £1.7m to buy the land comes from.

I think it's wrong that they've been allowed planning permission on the land given it was supposedly left in trust for sporting use however it's now too late to do much about this - getting that overturned would take too long so IMO it's not an option if we want to be back in Darlington within a decent timeframe.

I'd like to see the campaign to save it kept up though as the CC should never have been allowed to cash in, it's just a shame our eyes were off the ball at the time planning was being sought - if action had been taken then who knows...
Great post. I am as annoyed with myself that I didn't pick up on this. I'd have been first with the objection.

sasha44

Post by sasha44 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:11 pm

princes town wrote:
divas wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will) but my understanding is Esh have paid a deposit on the land to the CC which give them first refusal at the price of £1.7m which is why the comment about us needing £1.7m to buy the land comes from.

Great post. I am as annoyed with myself that I didn't pick up on this. I'd have been first with the objection.
If i remember right , there was a few discussions on here at the time that planning was discussed

princes town

Post by princes town » Wed May 09, 2012 1:23 pm

sasha44 wrote:
princes town wrote:

If i remember right , there was a few discussions on here at the time that planning was discussed
I only came on the site in November 11 so you could you well be right. the only consolation is that the money may have gone into youth cricket which i fully support. Let's face it Feethams is pretty much a dead duck.

sasha44

Post by sasha44 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:31 pm

" Let's face it Feethams is pretty much a dead duck." I agree princes , just wish a lot more would realise this. Get sick of hearing it mentioned year after year after year.

princes town

Post by princes town » Wed May 09, 2012 1:36 pm

sasha44 wrote:" Let's face it Feethams is pretty much a dead duck." I agree princes , just wish a lot more would realise this. Get sick of hearing it mentioned year after year after year.
do you have nay idea what the differencfe
sasha44 wrote:" Let's face it Feethams is pretty much a dead duck." I agree princes , just wish a lot more would realise this. Get sick of hearing it mentioned year after year after year.
Aye, by the way do you have any idea what the sloped terracing is. Keep hearing this expression.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed May 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Mazz Javerick wrote:
MB86DFC wrote:

Utter bollocks.
Agreed

Well how can you be so stupendously unable to absorb information then? It's not as if the fact that Esh bought the land has not been said a million times or anything. And don't tell me you never knew.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

sasha44

Post by sasha44 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:47 pm

princes town wrote:
Aye, by the way do you have any idea what the sloped terracing is. Keep hearing this expression.
All i can think of is that the terracing was in the form of steps so the ppl behind you could see over your head

princes town

Post by princes town » Wed May 09, 2012 2:24 pm

sasha44 wrote:
princes town wrote:
All i can think of is that the terracing was in the form of steps so the ppl behind you could see over your head
Cheers mate. OK, I'm up at shildon tonight so might take a look. I'm slightly worried about the viewing in the event of a big crowd although I notice Q has put forward some interesting ideas about temporary constructs

yandarlobhoy

Post by yandarlobhoy » Wed May 09, 2012 2:52 pm

If D.B.C. can stop anything been built at the arena other than for sporting purposes. How have the cricket club been given permission to build housing on land that was designated for sporting purposes only. I bet mr smart arse retired magistrate johnston knows something we dont know. I rest my case me lord

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed May 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Why not move the council offices to the arena. Plenty of space there seeing as they are closing down all their departments apart from the management levels, so less staff to put in, and bulldoze the Town Hall and build a ground there adding in the old bus station land as well. It's on Feethams roundabout so could still be classed as Feethams.
Dixon keeps the stadium standing, gets his new offices and we get Feethams!

G&T's all round methinks!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!