Evo-stik & ground share likely (Gazette latest)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Hilly
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Evo-stik & ground share likely (Gazette latest)

Post by Hilly » Tue May 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Ah right.... know where it is now.

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Tue May 01, 2012 2:38 pm

Would our dream be for a groundshare for a year and a move to feethams once a Bishop style ground has been built. If that is what we want lets do it 1883 are only the sum total of us the fans, lets make it happen.

The Arena for a year (with the Falcons) whilst our new ground is built was what I thought would happen, but that was before MR roadblocks demands
Last edited by ted_do on Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 pm

We can't move back to Feethams.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

3BlackHoops

Post by 3BlackHoops » Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 pm

carver30 wrote:Do people not think this may just be 1883 showing Raj and S&S that they have some muscle and will walk and as such it strengthens their negotiating stance. Do S&S really want a stadium rotting away on the outskirts of town with the council refusing to budge on any development. I thin htis has alot more mileage to go yet with various twists and turns.
Yes, I think this may indeed be a case of 1883 playing brinkmanship. But as our former chairman has history here, vis a vis his own last-minute takeover of the club, 1883 will have to walk the walk if he still fails to back down.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 pm

ted_do - beggars can't be choosers. If there was a choice over where to situate a new ground I think it wouldn't be clear cut for a return to Feethams. Other potential sites have more going for them.

Back in the real world, we'll be looking for the cheapest, most cost effective solution.

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Tue May 01, 2012 2:42 pm

This is the best option imo.

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Tue May 01, 2012 2:42 pm

I know its been said a number of times, lets see...at the mo nothing supprises me.

Heed
Team Supported: Gateshead

Post by Heed » Tue May 01, 2012 2:51 pm

If your club's thinking about moving to a rugby field on the edge of town (effectively almost building a ground from scratch), would you not be better off looking to do some deal/hook up with Darlington College? - http://binged.it/Imz4UL

Ok, that pitch doesn't appear to have floodlights like the rugby one, but there's not a million miles of difference between them. There's enough room there to build a small ground, if you removed the two small car parks and shifted the pitch very slightly north-east then stands could be built around it. It also has the massive advantage of being near the town centre.

You could do some sort of hook up with Darlington College there similar to ours with Gateshead College's football academy, then you could effectively keep your academy going (which I'd imagine may become a millstone in it's current format?).

divas

Post by divas » Tue May 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Heed wrote:If your club's thinking about moving to a rugby field on the edge of town (effectively almost building a ground from scratch), would you not be better off looking to do some deal/hook up with Darlington College? - http://binged.it/Imz4UL

Ok, that pitch doesn't appear to have floodlights like the rugby one, but there's not a million miles of difference between them. There's enough room there to build a small ground, if you removed the two small car parks and shifted the pitch very slightly north-east then stands could be built around it. It also has the massive advantage of being near the town centre.

You could do some sort of hook up with Darlington College there similar to ours with Gateshead College's football academy, then you could effectively keep your academy going (which I'd imagine may become a millstone in it's current format?).
It would also lead to a very real community club imo. I've said all along that we need to be affiliated with the college in as many ways as possible from physiotherapy placements for students to media students producing parts of the programme/match highlights. It's a win-win for both organisations.

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Tue May 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Did someone mention a statement was expected today?

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Heed wrote:If your club's thinking about moving to a rugby field on the edge of town (effectively almost building a ground from scratch), would you not be better off looking to do some deal/hook up with Darlington College? - http://binged.it/Imz4UL

Not sure if that College picture is up to date. They built a new building around there as part of Teesside University. I have a feeling that this reduced the field size and the College have hooked up with the Rugby club at Blackwell Meadows to use their pitches.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue May 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Lawman3 wrote:

Not sure if that College picture is up to date. They built a new building around there as part of Teesside University. I have a feeling that this reduced the field size and the College have hooked up with the Rugby club at Blackwell Meadows to use their pitches.
I think you're correct Lawman
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue May 01, 2012 3:54 pm

ted_do wrote:Now Mowden park RC may be a goer, they have sold thier ground and have planning for a new one at west park. My Rugby friend says this would work as DMPRC are getting promotion to a national leauge and need to inprove thier ground anyway.
Mowden rugby club is set to become a housing development, there is a massive sign on the way in. If we are going to the arse end of the football pyramid could we not ground share with the RA (temporary stand etc) for one season whilst a new ground is sorted? I know this would cost money but may be better in the long run as we would get more fans if the club stayed in the town, I wont be going to bishop Auckland to watch, but I would if it was kept in Darlington

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Tue May 01, 2012 3:55 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
ted_do wrote:Now Mowden park RC may be a goer, they have sold thier ground and have planning for a new one at west park. My Rugby friend says this would work as DMPRC are getting promotion to a national leauge and need to inprove thier ground anyway.
Mowden rugby club is set to become a housing development, there is a massive sign on the way in. If we are going to the arse end of the football pyramid could we not ground share with the RA (temporary stand etc) for one season whilst a new ground is sorted? I know this would cost money but may be better in the long run as we would get more fans if the club stayed in the town, I wont be going to bishop Auckland to watch, but I would if it was kept in Darlington
What division can R.A go up to though?

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue May 01, 2012 3:59 pm

I don't know, with their blessing and temp stands maybe we will have enough for a year or two whilst a new stadium is built. This is the perfect time for the council to come out of all this as heroes and help the town out, no doubt they won't an we will have another couple of car parks in the town.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue May 01, 2012 4:00 pm

I may be clutching at straws but I would hope this would give more momentum to the Feethams community stadium proposal, it makes sense community stadium for a community club!

Going over what has has been said previously, I would support this as long as there is a view to return to the town at a suitable venue at Blackwell Meadows, Darlington Rugby Club etc.

However I think we need to realise if we are to groundshare out of town, or at all it will be for more than one season!

It could be a win-win for everyone concerned, we would no longer be at the behest of property developers/businessmen, S&S could pursue a development or sale for the stadium site with out the current restrictions imposed by the the club's presence there.

I doubt DBC would stand in the way of any potential development as it would serve no purpose having a large abandoned stadium on the edge of town.

Although this is encouraging so far, there is nothing concrete yet and has been said there is always a lot of twists and turns when it comes to DFC and sometimes it's just too good to be true!
Last edited by quaker4life on Tue May 01, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue May 01, 2012 4:03 pm

What division can R.A go up to though?
Northern League Division One, no higher.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue May 01, 2012 4:14 pm

There is always the chance that Tesco still want to have a presence in Darlington and in return for some land they have to build a 6000 capacity stadium elsewhere in the town. If they are willing to build a new town hall then I cant see why this cant be an option.
It needs to happen quickly though because a lot of people wont have the patience to keep travelling out to Shildon or wherever for too long. The only good thing I can see coming out of this at the moment is the fact that Singh loses out big style. However theres the downside of yet more small businesses losing out on money they would have got from a CVA, again thanks to Singh and his total disregard for others.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:37 pm

loan_star wrote:There is always the chance that Tesco still want to have a presence in Darlington and in return for some land they have to build a 6000 capacity stadium elsewhere in the town. If they are willing to build a new town hall then I cant see why this cant be an option.
It needs to happen quickly though because a lot of people wont have the patience to keep travelling out to Shildon or wherever for too long. The only good thing I can see coming out of this at the moment is the fact that Singh loses out big style. However theres the downside of yet more small businesses losing out on money they would have got from a CVA, again thanks to Singh and his total disregard for others.

Small businesses could be looked after at a later date. :shh:

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue May 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Sure I read somewhere S&S want £40k a year. Pay them it! How much would it cost to upgrade someone else's ground?

Also how much would 24 hr security cost S&S cos the minute we leave that stadium would be stripped bare by certain elements from the town!

Oh and we STAY IN DARLINGTON!!!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue May 01, 2012 5:40 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Sure I read somewhere S&S want £40k a year.
Can a club in the EvoStik league afford that? I doubt it and I would imagine this sum may have increased considerably since it was quoted which has led to this.

Better yet don't give them a penny, fuck the White Elpehant and bollocks to S&S as well! We've got to think of ourselves.

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue May 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Ted-Do - You claim Darlington Rugby Club are making money?

I've heard for years that they are struggling big style!

Even if they are making money, it's stupid to suggest they'll dismiss outright the chance to have their pitches improved and a couple of hundred (atleast) fans in their clubhouse?

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue May 01, 2012 5:48 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Can a club in the EvoStik league afford that? I doubt it and I would imagine this sum may have increased considerably since it was quoted which has led to this.

Better yet don't give them a penny, fuck the White Elpehant and bollocks to S&S as well! We've got to think of ourselves.
If it wasn't for the help of Philip Scott we would have died in January!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Tue May 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:
quaker4life wrote:

You may well find that £40K a year rent (which still sounds very low by the way) is less than we will end up paying whoever we share with - bearing in mind we will also probably have to pay for half of the costs for Policing (do they have it at this new low level?), 1st aiders, Stewards, gas/electricity/water etc. we will have to pay for upkeep etc when it's our turn to be the 'home' team won't we?

£40K is not a lot in these terms I would think. If it has increased dramatically, is it still that much more than moving out of town, throwing away possibility of big crowds, cup runs, paying rent to someone else, paying for amenities etc and alienating a potentially large proportion of the fan base?
COME ON DARLO!

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue May 01, 2012 6:01 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Mowden Park RFC have been looking to move to Westpark for a number of years, funded by the sale of their Yiewsley Drive ground for housing. Not a bad location, with large housing estate on the doorstep.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue May 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Its clear the biggest cost of staying at the Arena isn't the rent payments but all the associated bills - water, gas, elec, etc, etc. If it was just a straight £40k per year cost then I'm sure we'd be staying put.

Darlo_Fanatic

Post by Darlo_Fanatic » Tue May 01, 2012 6:33 pm

How about Clariville stadium in Middlesbrough? It's floodlit not far from town and plenty of car parking available, only bad thing is it's location with the local estate etc and the running track around the pitch.

DARLO FANATIC

Supporting DARLO might be a heartache but it's a heartache I chose to have.

Charlie_Darlo

Post by Charlie_Darlo » Tue May 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Darlo_Fanatic wrote:How about Clariville stadium in Middlesbrough? It's floodlit not far from town and plenty of car parking available, only bad thing is it's location with the local estate etc and the running track around the pitch.

It is being demolished for housing.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue May 01, 2012 6:53 pm

I realise and appreciate they've helped us, but like I said the time has come where we have to be selfish and do what ever is necessary.

Darlo_Fanatic

Post by Darlo_Fanatic » Tue May 01, 2012 7:35 pm

Charlie_Darlo wrote:
Darlo_Fanatic wrote:How about Clariville stadium in Middlesbrough? It's floodlit not far from town and plenty of car parking available, only bad thing is it's location with the local estate etc and the running track around the pitch.

It is being demolished for housing.
Ah just read an article on it, it's a shame. I went there loads when I was a kid, for sports day etc. The facilities are fantastic.
DARLO FANATIC

Supporting DARLO might be a heartache but it's a heartache I chose to have.