Very proud of the lads tonight

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Very proud of the lads tonight

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:25 pm

If we show the spirit and committment that we showed tonight, for the remainder of the season, then we'll avoid the drop. We certainly looked a lot better side, than one that has only had two draws in the league, against a far from weak Leeds side. Have to admit I feared a mauling when they scored two quick fire goals in the middle of the first half and yes at times we rode our luck. But with a bit more belief we could have really caused a shock and equalised. At the end it was the Leeds fans that were shouting for the final whistle.
Some excellent performances tonight, but in particular Gall for his tireless running and closing down, Devitt for his trickery down both flanks & Liversedge who looked very assured in goal and making some great saves in pretty horendous conditions. Well done to Lidds and Maddo for lifting the players for tonight's game. I bet Staunton & Richardson were both very impressed with what they saw in front of them. Good support for the team as well, looked a good 300 to 350 made the trip down, its a pity that a few more didn't go down and prefered to stay at home.

Spyman

Re: Very proud of the lads tonight

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:28 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:If we show the spirit and committment that we showed tonight, for the remainder of the season, then we'll avoid the drop.
Was it the flurry of goals that convinced you? Or the clean sheet?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:29 pm

What atmosphere did the Darlo fans create Pete ?..
Any good ?..

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:If we show the spirit and committment that we showed tonight, for the remainder of the season, then we'll avoid the drop.
Was it the flurry of goals that convinced you? Or the clean sheet?

Pete's sheets have never been clean, allegedly. :lol:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:31 pm

AndyPark wrote:What atmosphere did the Darlo fans create Pete ?..
Any good ?..

We made it rain and damned near set off a hurricane :mrgreen:

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:35 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:
AndyPark wrote:What atmosphere did the Darlo fans create Pete ?..
Any good ?..

We made it rain and damned near set off a hurricane :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:

DarloBear
Team Supported: Darlington / Rangers

Post by DarloBear » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:37 pm

The atmosphere was fantastic tonight, even though we were banned from standing up!

The team certainly did us proud, I thought Barnes was excellent and Liversedge proved he is a far better keeper than Knight. If only Gall got support from his fellow players (and a few on this forum as well). A striker can only score when the ball goes into the box for him and once again we were lacking in that department even though we could pass our way from goalkeeper right through their midfield. Devitt....quickly becoming the new Nathan Porritt, needs to start delivering.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:If we show the spirit and committment that we showed tonight, for the remainder of the season, then we'll avoid the drop. We certainly looked a lot better side, than one that has only had two draws in the league, against a far from weak Leeds side. Have to admit I feared a mauling when they scored two quick fire goals in the middle of the first half and yes at times we rode our luck. But with a bit more belief we could have really caused a shock and equalised. At the end it was the Leeds fans that were shouting for the final whistle.
Some excellent performances tonight, but in particular Gall for his tireless running and closing down, Devitt for his trickery down both flanks & Liversedge who looked very assured in goal and making some great saves in pretty horendous conditions. Well done to Lidds and Maddo for lifting the players for tonight's game. I bet Staunton & Richardson were both very impressed with what they saw in front of them. Good support for the team as well, looked a good 300 to 350 made the trip down, its a pity that a few more didn't go down and prefered to stay at home.

Agree with most of that Pete. Young lads like Barnes didn't look afraid to get possession and we played some really good stuff at times.

As I was coming out a Leeds fan said to me "How are you lot bottom when you can play like that." Darlo's support was very vocal aswell. All in all proud to be a Darlo fan tonight.

What we need though is a striker, a central midfielder with some strength and a left back. No criticism of Jeff Smith but he is not a defender. Hopefully Staunton will make us a bit nastier and we can start grinding out results. I honestly think that with a pacy goal threat we could look like a decent side.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:48 pm

if effort and commitment got you points on the board we'd be in the top half - sadly it doesnt - its goals and clean sheets, which is why were rooted to the bottom of the table

get me 2 lazy twats that can finish the half chances we're creating

good to hear the young lads played well though, it seems we have a bright future if we can just negotiate the current sticky situation
Last edited by divas on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:50 pm

DarloBear wrote:The atmosphere was fantastic tonight, even though we were banned from standing up!

The team certainly did us proud, I thought Barnes was excellent and Liversedge proved he is a far better keeper than Knight. If only Gall got support from his fellow players (and a few on this forum as well). A striker can only score when the ball goes into the box for him and once again we were lacking in that department even though we could pass our way from goalkeeper right through their midfield. Devitt....quickly becoming the new Nathan Porritt, needs to start delivering.
gall is getting chances - chances a good striker would put away - he missed at least 3 against rochdale and another couple against macclesfield - yes they werent open goals, but at this level you need to be able to take a half chance, its no coincidence we've only scored a handful of goals all season.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:34 pm

No you don't. The higher up the league you go, the more you need to be able to put away half chances. At our level, you need to finish the clear cut chances, and I don't think Gall's had many of those. I counted 5 on Saturday, none of which fell to Gall. Strikers who finish half chances at our level tend to be on a lot more than we will be offering.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:56 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:No you don't. The higher up the league you go, the more you need to be able to put away half chances. At our level, you need to finish the clear cut chances, and I don't think Gall's had many of those. I counted 5 on Saturday, none of which fell to Gall. Strikers who finish half chances at our level tend to be on a lot more than we will be offering.
with the greatest respect, thats utter bollocks. agreed that the higher up the leagues you go the harder the chances get, but even at this level you need to put away half chances to stand a chance of doing anything.

so you're saying that Dagenham have scored 21 goals this season mostly thru clear cut chances? i think not, they have a striker(s) with a bit of composure and an eye for goal

our goal return of 4 goals in 11 games would be about on par for the division if all you had to do is put away the clear cut chances - unfortunately they are about all we're able to put away at the moment, which isnt surprising considering our forwards lack of goalscoring prowess, which is exactly why we're bottom of the league

gall had at least 1 clear cut chance (as clear as you'll get at this level) against rochdale which he fired wide cos he only has 1 foot, and a similar chance against macc

he works hard though so thats okay......

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:01 pm

No it wouldn't. We had 5 clear cut chances against Macclesfield, so we would have doubled our tally for the season.

Dagenham have a player, Paul Benson, who is a cut above most strikers in this division, and three or four other players who regularly chip in. They have 21 goals because they take the easy chances, and occasionally take the half chance. We have 4 because we don't take the easy chances.

I understand what you're saying, my main gripe is that Gall is singled out when no-one else has done anywhere near as well as him this season.