Brave in defeat.....???

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Brave in defeat.....???

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:14 pm

To be honest I don't really want to read that. I want us to be ugly and shite and scrape a lucky victory that leaves the other team seething. And, another thing, I don't want to hear "It's something to build on." It was something to build on against Cheltenham and Lincoln in the Gloss Paint Shite Trophy. All I want is a fucking victory... it's not too much to ask is it?

Quakerz

Re: Brave in defeat.....???

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:25 pm

It is when you have Gall up front, and a pitifully shite midfield.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:40 pm

I don't think singling out Gall is really fair - he may not be scoring frequently but he's running his arse off for the team - something called commitment!!! However, our midfield is definatley something that has been found wanting for ages - need a couple of 6ft+ b'tards in there.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:45 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:I don't think singling out Gall is really fair - he may not be scoring frequently but he's running his arse off for the team - something called commitment!!! However, our midfield is definatley something that has been found wanting for ages - need a couple of 6ft+ b'tards in there.
who else can you single out? gall played up front on his own and didnt score, strikers are there to score goals, not work their arses off.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Hang on, Gall was playing up-tops on his own against a Leeds side destined (and has been for sometime!) for the Championship - what do you expect a hattrick??? :roll:

Gall is a runner and will chip in with goals, he's not going to get 15/20 a season (I wish!!! lol) but has enough effectiveness with his running off the ball to create chances - its just we don't have those players at the moment to finish of those chances.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:58 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:Hang on, Gall was playing up-tops on his own against a Leeds side destined (and has been for sometime!) for the Championship - what do you expect a hattrick??? :roll:

Gall is a runner and will chip in with goals, he's not going to get 15/20 a season (I wish!!! lol) but has enough effective with his running off the ball to create chances - its just we don't have those players at the moment to finish of those chances.
no i dont expect a hat-trick but a goal would be nice, and not just in tonights game, but against relegation fodder like macclesfield will have done, we need as many goals as possible at the moment, so playing someone up front who isnt a target man and also doesnt score goals doesnt really equate to much - he's a lot like gregg blundell.

he'd be better off on the wing, apart from he cant kick a ball - he actually looks a very good player until he gets the ball, he's quick and makes intelligent runs, if only he could kick a football properly he'd probably be a decent player.

he's all we've got at the moment tho, so we'll just have to hope he manages to shin a couple in until we find something better

i do like the phrase "gall is a runner" though, all successful teams have 'runners' dont they.....running gets you how many points per game?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:16 pm

I'm getting very fed up with this whole "Gall can't be criticised because he puts the effort in" malarky. How many times? His running will not keep us up. Not good enough, end of story.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:18 pm

divas wrote: i do like the phrase "gall is a runner" though, all successful teams have 'runners' dont they.....running gets you how many points per game?
Yeah, he's doing one half of what a striking partnership should be doing - keeping pressure on the backline, which keeps the ball in the opposition half longer and creates chances if only the rest of the team (mainly midfield) and other strike partner(s) could keep up with him or convert opportunities. Running doesn't get you points granted, but it can create those little half chances which CAN lead to goals and which CAN get you points in the end.
divas wrote:he's all we've got at the moment tho, so we'll just have to hope he manages to shin a couple in until we find something better
I hope so too, because its been that luck that has deserted us in recent games.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Out of curiosity, has Gall created many chances for the rest of the team this season?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Spyman wrote:I'm getting very fed up with this whole "Gall can't be criticised because he puts the effort in" malarky. How many times? His running will not keep us up. Not good enough, end of story.
He's doing more than Kane has done recently though hasn't he??? :roll:

Commitment in our situation is the first qualification you need, quality can be brought about by decent coaching, confidence and a bit of luck.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:26 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Spyman wrote:I'm getting very fed up with this whole "Gall can't be criticised because he puts the effort in" malarky. How many times? His running will not keep us up. Not good enough, end of story.
He's doing more than Kane has done recently though hasn't he??? :roll:

Commitment in our situation is the first qualification you need, quality can be brought about by decent coaching, confidence and a bit of luck.
No, quality, in professional football, is the first thing that you need. Nobody makes it by just being committed.

DC

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Gall was fantastic tonight. His workrate was phenomenal. He also provided an outlet and linked play with the midfield really well. The graft he is putting in a Darlo's shirt alone means to me that he should not be getting this stick. He has become an easy target and yet to my mind is one of our best players.

We do need a goal threat and I accept Gall doesn't give us that but he is well worth a place in the team for me.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:35 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:Gall was fantastic tonight. His workrate was phenomenal. He also provided an outlet and linked play with the midfield really well. The graft he is putting in a Darlo's shirt alone means to me that he should not be getting this stick. He has become an easy target and yet to my mind is one of our best players.

We do need a goal threat and I accept Gall doesn't give us that but he is well worth a place in the team for me.
But this is systematic of our problem. Gall is one of our best players, yet Gall is not good enough to keep us up. While Gall continues to be one of our best players, we're fucked.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:37 pm

Get your heads out of the sand people.

You can talk all you want about Gall running and making pressure but nobody is there to take the chances - Gall should be one of those taking those chances. We have two non goalscoring forwards both historically, currently and in fooking reality. Neither is going to take chances.

We have 2 points from 10 matches. The forwards are not wholly the problem (s*** midfielders like J and G Smith don't help), but replacing Gall and Thorpe is a MUST if we want to stay up.

Anybody getting the urge to say "Gall isn't bad he does this, Thorpe is useful he does that, G Smith is a canny if crablike midfielder, J Smith has stacks of potential, Chandler and Devitt are quality, blah blah fooking blah" please wake up and realise you must be talking s***, because if you were right in your assesment then we'd be top 7, with all those great players.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 pm

Spyman wrote:Out of curiosity, has Gall created many chances for the rest of the team this season?
Well first off and most importantly he's our top goal scorer with 2 :D

As for chances he has been involved both indirectly and directly for most of the chances so far this season which could and should have resulted in more goals and more points. ;)

And if you needed anymore proof of Gall's workrate may I point you in the direction of Darlo Pete's post 'very proud of the lads' thread. Oh, actually its seems someone else has also made reference to Gall on this thread (thank you StevieMardenboro)! It seems other people actually at the game can appreciate his effort at first hand and his overall importance to the team in our current situation! :clap: ;)

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:47 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:As for chances he has been involved both indirectly and directly for most of the chances so far this season which could and should have resulted in more goals and more points. ;)
Did you intentionally set out to prove mine and Spyman's point?
And if you needed anymore proof of Gall's workrate may I point you in the direction of Darlo Pete's post 'very proud of the lads' thread. Oh, actually its seems someone else has also made reference to Gall on this thread (thank you StevieMardenboro)!
Nobody has questioned his workrate or effort, not ever.
It seems other people actually at the game can appreciate his effort at first hand and his overall importance to the team in our current situation! :clap: ;)
What people have actually seen is a forward that doesn't score. This is one of the reasons why we are the worst team in England.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:47 pm

Quakerz wrote:Get your heads out of the sand people.

You can talk all you want about Gall running and making pressure but nobody is there to take the chances - Gall should be one of those taking those chances. We have two non goalscoring forwards both historically, currently and in fooking reality. Neither is going to take chances.

We have 2 points from 10 matches. The forwards are not wholly the problem (s*** midfielders like J and G Smith don't help), but replacing Gall and Thorpe is a MUST if we want to stay up.

Anybody getting the urge to say "Gall isn't bad he does this, Thorpe is useful he does that, G Smith is a canny if crablike midfielder, J Smith has stacks of potential, Chandler and Devitt are quality, blah blah fooking blah" please wake up and realise you must be talking s***, because if you were right in your assesment then we'd be top 7, with all those great players.

Wanker

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:48 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
And if you needed anymore proof of Gall's workrate may I point you in the direction of Darlo Pete's post 'very proud of the lads' thread. Oh, actually its seems someone else has also made reference to Gall on this thread (thank you StevieMardenboro)! It seems other people actually at the game can appreciate his effort at first hand and his overall importance to the team in our current situation! :clap: ;)
I need no proof of Gall's workrate. I have no doubt he works hard.

I also appreciate that he is an important part of why the team is in this current situation.

DC

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:49 pm

I don't think I have my head in the sand. I know we are ineffective as a team and staring relegation in the face. We can't score and we don't keep clean sheets.
We lack a goal threat. We lack central midfielders getting into the box. We do not defend effectively as an 11. We haven't got a left back in our squad and we lack pace, strength and confidence.
Also for the first month of the season we had a keeper low on either confidence or ability.
We have taken dickings off teams who are basically s***.

I accept all of this.

What I don't accept is continual pops at a lad whose work rate in a Darlo shirt is bloody fantastic. Maybe I am just a thick b****** but to me his graft alone means he deserves better from the supporters and as I said based on tonight he also played some good football. Linked play with the midfield well and provided an outlet down the channels. He played on his own up front against Leeds tonight and he looked a handful.

We have had five players play up front for us this season. Gall has looked the best and yet he is the one getting all the shite. I don't understand it.
Last edited by StevieMardenboro on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:
Quakerz wrote:Get your heads out of the sand people.

Wanker
Which bit do you disagree with, Fucknut?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:52 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:I don't think I have my head in the sand. I know we are ineffective as a team and staring relegation in the face. We can't score and we don't keep clean sheets.
We lack a goal threat. We lack central midfielders getting into the box. We do not defend effectively as an 11. We haven't got a left back in our squad and we lack pace, strength and confidence.
Also for the first month of the season we had a keeper low on either confidence or ability.
We have taken dickings off teams who are basically s***.

I accept all of this.

What I don't accept is continual pops at a lad whose work rate in a Darlo shirt is bloody fantastic. Maybe I am just a thick b***** but to me his graft alone means he deserves better from the supporters and as I said based on tonight he also played some good football. Linked play with the midfield well and provided an outlet down the channels. He played on his own up front against Leeds tonight and he looked a handful.

We have had five players play up front for us this season. Gall has looked the best and yet he is the one getting all the sh**e. I don't understand it.
To be fair I've given Thorpe more stick than Gall, and Main is only 17, no point blaming him.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:54 pm

I have no idea why Gall is always the one singled out for abuse. Yes he's not scoring goals but whether people like it or not he's still one our best players. He's not just about work rate, although he puts more effort in than anyone else in the team p, he's probably the quickest player in the team, he's tries his best to link up with the midfield and is one of the few players who actual tries to play the ball into areas that hurt the opposition.

People who say well he must be crap because he doesn't score and that's what strikers should do are at least half right, but he's certainly not crap. His main problem is he puts so much into his performance he doesn't get into the right positions. But even if he did other than Devitt and Convery to a lesser extent, there's nobody else in the team who can feed him any chances.

So yes he's not going to score a bagful of goals but with the team we can field at the moment, he's one of the few shining lights. Maybe we should try him in the centre of midfield or on the wing but that leaves us light up front.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Teams usually do eventually go down the sticking Gall on the wing route once they realise he is just not going to score goals. If he wants to avoid the same fate here (which eventually leads to teams working out he's not a winger) then he better start scoring goals and fast.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote: What I don't accept is continual pops at a lad whose work rate in a Darlo shirt is bloody fantastic. Maybe I am just a thick b***** but to me his graft alone means he deserves better from the supporters and as I said based on tonight he also played some good football. Linked play with the midfield well and provided an outlet down the channels. He played on his own up front against Leeds tonight and he looked a handful.

We have had five players play up front for us this season. Gall has looked the best and yet he is the one getting all the sh**e. I don't understand it.
Again I totally agree with you SM. I may have gone a long way around on the subject but individually slagging players - and in this case Gall - is just wrong!!! I don't understand this either! :crazy:

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:02 pm

Quakerz wrote:Teams usually do eventually go down the sticking Gall on the wing route once they realise he is just not going to score goals. If he wants to avoid the same fate here (which eventually leads to teams working out he's not a winger) then he better start scoring goals and fast.
Oh, he will mate....just for you! ;) :thumbup:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:03 pm

He won't though, will he? We have 2 points from 30, because we can't score. Mmmm hmmm?

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Maybe some of the people slagging him off should actually attend the games. They might still think he's crap but might also see there's a lot worse in the team to be worried about.

Cue a number of posters telling me it's not fair to have a go at them for not attending games because they know so much more than me.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:44 pm

i dont think anyone is particularly slagging gall off - certainly not me and no one is questioning his effort or commitment. like ive said at the moment he's the best we have, but his goal return shows he's not the striker we need to score goals - and he's never historically been, perhaps he should think about changing his position to try and prolong his league career as its only going one way and thats thru no fault of him trying, its down to a lack of natural instinct in front of goal.

i've no doubt he does have some use to the team, but i'd rather sign a finisher that does nothing but put the ball in the net than have someone who hares around the pitch who cant finish a half chance when it comes his way.

we have effort over quality in abudance in this squad, which is exactly why we are in the position we are

if a defender cant defend but can run about a lot does that make him a good player?

Santino

Post by Santino » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:25 am

I don't understand the abuse Gall is singled out for when he plays in the same team as Lee Thorpe, who is even worse.

darlojc

Post by darlojc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:31 am

Cant fault the lads for effort last night. Gave leeds a run for their money in the last 15 or so. Would of liked to see Curtis introduced a bit earlier tho.