Returning from Melbourne to watch the game today

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DarloDownUnder
Team Supported: Darlington

Returning from Melbourne to watch the game today

Post by DarloDownUnder » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:08 pm

I have always been a Darlo fan and attended games regularly up until about 3 years ago when i moved to Melbourne, Australia. I have had some great times following Darlo, the 2 play off finals, the play off semi final win over Hartlepool, scoring the winning penalty for my school in the penalty prize at Feethams in the mid 90s to name a few. My father got tickets for today's game during the week and asked for where we used to regularly sit in block 5.

I got to the game today and was absolutely disgusted with the behaviour of the people who now occupy block 5. First of all, the standing up, or sitting on the top of seats - just sit in the seat. You are not cool for standing up, you are not a legend for not sitting properly in a seat, you are just a fool.

The standing up was one thing but by far the most appalling thing was the language used by these "fans." Let me just say that I am mid 20s and I do swear (i am not a prude) but after 20 minutes of the game I just couldn't take it any more. There is no reason on earth why a child, who I would have guessed was about 11, needs to scream "you c***" to the referee or opposing fans. Then there was the homophobic language. "f*****" is a vulgar word and should never be used. The final straw was when i asked the 12 year olds in front of me to sit down and got the response "f*** off you f*****."

I went to speak to a steward to see if anything could be done and he told me to sit at the front. How is that reasonable? Why should i have to move and they be allowed to carry on as they like? Luckily we have such a big ground that I just moved to block 14 I think it was.

To summarise i think what i am asking is - is this usual for block 5 now? If so shouldn't the lady my father (mid 60s) bought the tickets from, warned him that block 5 is now like that. My other point is when a club is struggling and needs fans, why would any family go to a game and put up with that. When my new son is a bit older and we come back to the UK, I will definitely be thinking twice about taking him to a Darlo game

Maybe I am a little out of touch because if the people in block 5 were acting like that in the MCG during an Aussie rules game they wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes, perhaps it's a different culture? I am just relieved that my dad was sick and couldn't get to the game.

Apologies for the rant, I am just a bit angry that they ruined what was an otherwise decent game.

loan_star

Re: Returning from Melbourne to watch the game today

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:14 pm

You want to be glad Keltie played well otherwise some of the dimwitted ones in there would have been swearing more. They seem to think the swearing makes them look clever when really it makes them look tools.

Thanks for your support anyway. Its great when people make a big effort to attend a game.

SteveSC

Post by SteveSC » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Block 5 has certainly changed - I remember it used to be like a library down there. It seemed to start when youngsters relocated there when the stand behind the goal was not in use.

Not exactly an ideal spot for a family experience.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:16 pm

By all accounts block 5 is like that every week, never sat there myself. If you go again I find Block 12 seems to be better in rgeards to swearing, although not the most singing either.

quakerlady

Post by quakerlady » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:32 pm

I was sold block 5 tickets for the last home game but as I was aware of the goings on from this board we went and sat in a different block. Maybe the ticket office could be asked not to sell this block unless people actually ask for them (unfortunately you did on this occasion).
As you say not an ideal family experience and we dont want to put people off.
Is the attraction of this block the fact its near the away fans?

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:36 pm

never heard anything today and i was stood at the top of block 5 in the first half and the bottom after half time.

people at the top of the block stand up, is this really such a bad thing? people stand up at the top of block 17 but its seems to be okay for them to do it?.. the stewards haven't got a problem with it.. if you don't want to stand during a game then sit a few rows down, its not as if there's a shortage of seats FFS.

ambiente

Post by ambiente » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:44 pm

I sit up the top of block 6 and whilst its certainly been different for the last two seasons after the crowd moved over I have to say its made for a better atmosphere. Whilst there are some vocal idiots in there, like there is elsewhere I guess, I do wonder whether the OP has forgotten what its like to be at a football game.

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:04 pm

:roll:

Yet another stupid jibe about block 5. I apoligise if you were offended by the little kids being disrespectful, ya know what kids are like these days. I'm getting pissed off at all these digs at "Block 5" or people who sit there, what do you expect it's a football match for christs sake not a polo match where the spectators are quitley sitting sipping cups of tea. The majority of fans who sit in "Block 5" are just there to sit/stand and watch the games and get the atmosphere going. What doesn't help is the little shits who sit not far from us at the top of Block 5 (ya know the DU5 esc idiots who think they're all that) in fact one of the little wankers was squaring upto a 7yr old kid and swiftly told to fuck off by the majority of us. Another thing is all this Keltie Boo Boy crap, if we/you even dare to comment on kelties performance stupid threads are started on here and you're branded a disgrace to the club, which is stupid and pathetic when everyone else decides to jump on the band wagon. SWEARING HAPPENS EVERYWHERE AT A FOOTBALL GROUND NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE NOT JUST BLOCK 5. We're not all spineless little scrouts like you all seem to think.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:14 pm

First of all, well done to the Aussie (ex darlo) guy for attending the game. I am afraid swearing seems to be a sympton of society rather than just football. I never ceased to be surprised when I hear some of the chavvy language that comes out of the mouth of babes in the Cornmill.

On the standing issue the blame lies squarely on the muppets who promoted all seater stadia. When we will ever learn that for some people, particularly the young, like to watch footie standing up. That is why the tin shed was so special or on a larger scale the Die Südtribüne at Dortmund. I also really don't like these blocks that sit adjacent to away ends (not just Darlo) as they will always encourage profanity.

I totally agree we need a designated family block. In a soulless arena, I also feel that there should be a designated standing area behind the goal. I'm hoping the new board will support these measures. I'm also slightly worried as a mature block 5 fan that we are unjustly demonising the B5 lads. I've found them in the main good natured, Keltie aside, and I heard nowt critical today. One of the Grimsby songs annoyed me more.

cameron-darlo

Post by cameron-darlo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:18 pm

wouldn't be the 'bust in the morning' song would it princes town?.. its just explains their fans, classless.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Probably right, when I was young it was behind the goal in the Tinshed and they was still plenty of swearing going on. Difference is everyone knew I guess where to sit/stand depending upon the experience you wanted. As a kid I wanted to be behind the goal to sing through the game, shout and swear.

These days sit around Block 12 most times as I have a young one with me, who doesn't need to hear over the top comments/swearing (the ones I probably used to make years ago). They is still some swearing etc but it's limited and generally the fans do not go over the top if a misplace pass occurs, also the block does not join in with this singing as much as I would enjoy.

princes town

Post by princes town » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:29 pm

cameron-darlo wrote:wouldn't be the 'bust in the morning' song would it princes town?.. its just explains their fans, classless.
Funnily enough it wasn't I've just learnt to put up with that. It was some song about misbehaving when we lose. I could have heard wrong but it did sound rather dodgy. Maybe I misheard. Anyway, if you go in Block 5 as i do take it from me we fully appreciate the atmosphere you lads create. I think a lot of people are getting a little precious about 1 or 2 misplaced comments. You were also behind CK today which shows a lot of balls

cameron-darlo

Post by cameron-darlo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:32 pm

ah yeah i know which song you mean, cant remember the exact words though

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Have to agree with Tim. I wasn't in Block 5 today but these lads ultimately come to support the team, yeah swear words are used but that's part and parcel of football, the same with profanities going back and forth between home and away fans, it's what helps the atmosphere. At the end of the day its a bit of banter between fans.
We need all the support we can get, especially in that stadium, and when there are a lot of us in Block 5 we can really make a lot of noise.
Most of the lads at the back do stand up, don't see a problem with that, you see the game better and you can hardly create an atmosphere sitting down.
I think the English football culture is very different from that of Australia, there's a lot more passion and heart in the english game, especially from the fans
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

princes town

Post by princes town » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:33 pm

quakersam wrote: I think the English football culture is very different from that of Australia, there's a lot more passion and heart in the english game, especially from the fans
the Aussies more than make up for it with the cricket. i recollect a friend telling me about his experience on the old Sydney Hill as an Englishmen. Not pleasant at all....

cwisstoffhur

Post by cwisstoffhur » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:42 pm

princes town wrote:
cameron-darlo wrote:wouldn't be the 'bust in the morning' song would it princes town?.. its just explains their fans, classless.
Funnily enough it wasn't I've just learnt to put up with that. It was some song about misbehaving when we lose. I could have heard wrong but it did sound rather dodgy. Maybe I misheard. Anyway, if you go in Block 5 as i do take it from me we fully appreciate the atmosphere you lads create. I think a lot of people are getting a little precious about 1 or 2 misplaced comments. You were also behind CK today which shows a lot of balls
"We're a horrid bunch of bastards when we lose" i believe it was.
It's Clobberin' Time

Return_of_Fetish
Team Supported: Hartlepool

Post by Return_of_Fetish » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Did you consider doing a sponsored row to England then walk once reached here. Andy would have given himself a fortnight to complete it.

jjmick

Post by jjmick » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Big Tim wrote::roll:

Yet another stupid jibe about block 5. I apoligise if you were offended by the little kids being disrespectful, ya know what kids are like these days. I'm getting pissed off at all these digs at "Block 5" or people who sit there, what do you expect it's a football match for christs sake not a polo match where the spectators are quitley sitting sipping cups of tea. The majority of fans who sit in "Block 5" are just there to sit/stand and watch the games and get the atmosphere going. What doesn't help is the little shits who sit not far from us at the top of Block 5 (ya know the DU5 esc idiots who think they're all that) in fact one of the little wankers was squaring upto a 7yr old kid and swiftly told to fuck off by the majority of us. Another thing is all this Keltie Boo Boy crap, if we/you even dare to comment on kelties performance stupid threads are started on here and you're branded a disgrace to the club, which is stupid and pathetic when everyone else decides to jump on the band wagon. SWEARING HAPPENS EVERYWHERE AT A FOOTBALL GROUND NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE NOT JUST BLOCK 5. We're not all spineless little scrouts like you all seem to think.
It's not right for some little scrotes to personally swear at the guy when he is simply telling them to sit down, which is what they should have been doing anyway.
Darlo till I die!!

Dave_from_London

Post by Dave_from_London » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:39 pm

I agree that they should be some standing at football grounds. Lots of people (including myself) love standing as it makes you want to sing and create a good atmosphere. When I sit I dont sing as it feels like im watching footie on tv but if I stand i can get right into it. I suppose the only positive when we're in BSN as that they'll be lots of away grounds that allow standing.

Sorry if those little shits ruined your day by the way.

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:53 pm

DarloDownUnder wrote:I have always been a Darlo fan and attended games regularly up until about 3 years ago when i moved to Melbourne, Australia. I have had some great times following Darlo, the 2 play off finals, the play off semi final win over Hartlepool, scoring the winning penalty for my school in the penalty prize at Feethams in the mid 90s to name a few. My father got tickets for today's game during the week and asked for where we used to regularly sit in block 5.

I got to the game today and was absolutely disgusted with the behaviour of the people who now occupy block 5. First of all, the standing up, or sitting on the top of seats - just sit in the seat. You are not cool for standing up, you are not a legend for not sitting properly in a seat, you are just a fool.

The standing up was one thing but by far the most appalling thing was the language used by these "fans." Let me just say that I am mid 20s and I do swear (i am not a prude) but after 20 minutes of the game I just couldn't take it any more. There is no reason on earth why a child, who I would have guessed was about 11, needs to scream "you c***" to the referee or opposing fans. Then there was the homophobic language. "f*****" is a vulgar word and should never be used. The final straw was when i asked the 12 year olds in front of me to sit down and got the response "f*** off you f*****."

I went to speak to a steward to see if anything could be done and he told me to sit at the front. How is that reasonable? Why should i have to move and they be allowed to carry on as they like? Luckily we have such a big ground that I just moved to block 14 I think it was.

To summarise i think what i am asking is - is this usual for block 5 now? If so shouldn't the lady my father (mid 60s) bought the tickets from, warned him that block 5 is now like that. My other point is when a club is struggling and needs fans, why would any family go to a game and put up with that. When my new son is a bit older and we come back to the UK, I will definitely be thinking twice about taking him to a Darlo game

Maybe I am a little out of touch because if the people in block 5 were acting like that in the MCG during an Aussie rules game they wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes, perhaps it's a different culture? I am just relieved that my dad was sick and couldn't get to the game.

Apologies for the rant, I am just a bit angry that they ruined what was an otherwise decent game.
Yep, all change in block 5. I think I sat there with you and your dad a couple or three years back. I took him to block 8 the other week, I should have passed the message on about block 5. Each to their own I guess.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:36 am

Sorry you had the misfortune to pick the game at Lincoln, we were truely shocking. My eldest lad is going to a University in Melbourne in July, I bet your winter is warmer than our summer.