player of the season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

walshys_wingman_11
Team Supported: Darlington

player of the season

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:33 pm

So who would get your vote ? I would probably go for Kris Taylor because of a, his performances, b for sticking with us despite not getting paid and c the way he has conducted himself throughout, both on and off the pitch.
Young player of the year would be a hard call due to the fact we have had that many young players. I like the look of Harrison and he might have got it if he hadnt got injured. Hopson and Bowman have done really well and Lambert and Ramshaw have done well when called upon but I think Mcready would get my vote.

loan_star

Re: player of the season

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Taylor for player, McReady for young player. Taylor has stood out both on and off the pitch. McReady, because of his age didnt really need to be at the forefront with the off field issues, but his on field performances are both a credit to him and to Liddle with the youth set up.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:46 pm

From what I've seen over the course of the season I'd have to say Taylor POTY and McReady YPOTY as well. Huge turnaround for Taylor after the start he had, but I think he deserves it.

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:54 pm

loan_star wrote:Taylor for player, McReady for young player. Taylor has stood out both on and off the pitch. McReady, because of his age didnt really need to be at the forefront with the off field issues, but his on field performances are both a credit to him and to Liddle with the youth set up.
Agree with Taylor and since he has moved back into midfield he has been great, he is also very supportive of our community efforts off the pitch, which is going to be important if we are to succeed as a community club. I would love it if he stayed with us next year, I would push the boat out and make him one of our top earners to keep him.

I would give the young player to Ryan Bowman he has been excellent and again another one I would love to have playing for us next year.
Last edited by ted_do on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Call it peer pressure, but I'd agree on both counts. Taylor and McReady have been excellent.

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:03 pm

ted_do wrote:
loan_star wrote:Taylor for player, McReady for young player. Taylor has stood out both on and off the pitch. McReady, because of his age didnt really need to be at the forefront with the off field issues, but his on field performances are both a credit to him and to Liddle with the youth set up.
Agree with Taylor and since he has moved back into midfield he has been great, he is also very supportive of our community efforts off the pitch, which is going to be important if we are to succeed as a community club. I would love it if he stayed with us next year, I would push the boat out and make him one of our top earners to keep him.

I would give the young player to Ryan Bowman he has been excellent and again another one I would love to have playing for us next year.
I agree with you about Bowman. He has improved all season and is another who we should definately keep.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Kris Taylor POTY
John Mcready YPOTY

Sent from my GT-I9100

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Player of the year - Aaron Brown
Young player of the year - John McReady
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

DarloBear
Team Supported: Darlington / Rangers

Post by DarloBear » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:32 pm

POTY = Kris Taylor
YPOTY = Ryan Bowman

divas

Post by divas » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:56 pm

I'd go with Taylor,like others have said exemplary on and off the field since administration. Thought he was great today and showed why Cooper wanted him in midfield, it's just a pity Cooper never utilised him properly.

Bowman deffo for you player. McReady has shown some fantastic flashes but Ryan has come on so much as a player over the last 4 months that if he continues that rate of improvement he'll be some player. I think that forced spell as a lone front man has done him the world of good. He's now a handful for defenders in the air as well as on the floor. Hope we can hold onto him

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:55 pm

Drewe Broughton gets my vote for the Most Effeminate Kung Fu Kick of the Year award.

jjmick

Post by jjmick » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:13 pm

POTY: Kris Taylor, didn't think I would be saying that after the first month or so of the season.
YPOTY: Bowman for me, with McReady a close second. Bowman's attitude and commitment on the pitch during the recent times has been first class, especially for someone of his age.
Last edited by jjmick on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darlo till I die!!

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:42 pm

Player - Taylor
Young Player - McReady

I'd give Bowman most improved player.

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:43 pm

Breedon wrote:Player - Taylor
Young Player - McReady

I'd give Bowman most improved player.
Fully agree with this.
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:44 am

For me McReady is one of the most underrated Darlo players. He's been consistent in terms of effort and performance. He's had quieter moments this season but nearly all players do and that isn't counting what the club have been going through and the fact that he's still young.

I saw most of Taylor's performances earlier in the season when he was definitely not on player of the season form. I can't believe he's the same left back I saw wimping out of tackles at the start of the season. Having said that he's done what has been required on and off the pitch so not a bad choice for POTS

Bowman showed great potential against Lincoln and he seems to be rediscovering that form now (thanks to Broughton I reckon). It was a lot to ask of him to step up to play as a lone striker and the only one at the club. That's not his game but he got on with it so fair play. Missed some golden chances too but on form with some experience a real prospect at this level. Hope we keep hold of him.

So to be different and because I'm a McReady fan:
POTS: McReady
YPOTS: Bowman

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:00 am

Pots Brown
Ypots McReady

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:13 am

Player of the year .... Kris Taylor
Young player of the year ... Ryan Bowman

SteveSC

Post by SteveSC » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:30 am

Are Uncovered/DUFF/anybodyelse planning some sort of end of season event. Not a lot to celebrate - except that we are still here - but some sort of presentation evening (player of season/young player/man of the century?). A lot of the existing playing staff - and perhaps management - will be leaving us - despite a lot of criticism heading their way the great majority have done thier best, stuck with us - maybe the last chance we will get to do anything?

And make a few quid for DUFF etc

Allan Quatermain

player of the season

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:06 am

DFC 1883 are looking into the possibility of holding an end of season function after our last home game.

More to follow...
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:13 am

POTY - McReady
YPOTY - Bowman
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:49 am

Definite straight fight between McReady and Bowman for YPOTY, but I don't think it's that nailed on for K Taylor for POTY. He's been a credit off the pitch, as have numerous others, and you have to give it to somebody that's been with us for the full season, but I think there's been more consistent performers over the course of the year, maybe Arnison and MBW (although he still hasn't been at his best).

For me, though, POTY: Rundle
YPOTY: McReady, with a very honourable mention for Bowman.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:10 pm

One thing Bowman has improved in the last 2 months is his overall goal threat. He shoots more often, has improved his finishing and positional sense. He's always had the attribute of pace and decent skill, now he's more rounded.

I said a couple of months ago that all he needed to do was improve his finishing, and I said he'd shred the BSN if he improved. I still believe that.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

exile tony

Post by exile tony » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Kris Taylor poty for me, and Ryan Bowman ypoty. hope we keep these two, and all our other young players who have been a credit to themselves and Lidds

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Wouldn't winning POTY be the equivalent of winning gingerest s*** in the sewer? Do we really have to have a POTY this year? I can't begin to imagine the kudos of being voted the best player in a completely crap non league team that got relegated to pub football without winning in 4 months.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

rj50

Post by rj50 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Taylor and Bowman for me.

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:09 pm

Taylor and mcready for me.

nunthorpequaker

Post by nunthorpequaker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:17 am

I know that this is for player of the season , however there should be a special award given to Craig Liddle for his outstanding efforts this season

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Vokuhila wrote:Drewe Broughton gets my vote for the Most Effeminate Kung Fu Kick of the Year award.
I think Drewe's got one hand on the Pippo Inzaghi Award for most offsides in a season now after today too.

we_8_poolie

Post by we_8_poolie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:28 pm

He does stand 20 yards offside for goal kicks ....strange !!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:44 pm

You cant be offside from a goalkick but if the ball is touched on then you are offside ;)