Swansea City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

snowscape
Team Supported: Darlington

Swansea City

Post by snowscape » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:28 pm

It doesn't seem that long ago that we were playing them in L2 - I remember going on the DFCSC coach which arrived at 2pm. just as the game was postponed because of heavy rain/pitch flooding.
We are both in Premier leagues, they Barclays, us BSP - what happened?
Watching them on MOTD last night set me thinking.

number_one

Re: Swansea City

Post by number_one » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:32 pm

snowscape wrote:We are both in Premier leagues, they Barclays, us BSP - what happened?
They had a some promotions and we had a some of relegations.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:48 pm

George Reynolds, George Haughton and Raj Singh!! Nuff said.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

mobi

Post by mobi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:12 pm

They built a stadium they could fill. It all comes down to numbers in the end.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:24 pm

It's not rocket science, Swansea have followed in the footsteps of Fulham, Wigan, Hull etc...

Each of which had an owner who was committed and prepared to invest in the long term and a fan base large enough to sustain themselves and also a stadium which suited their needs.

Darlo however first fell victim to an egotistical mackem who lumbered the club with a large white elephant stadium as a monument to himself despite the fact did it did not and nor never did it have a large enough fan base to fill it.

And then became a target for property developers who saw the remote location of the stadium as a potentially lucrative development opportunity, however both of them pretty much hit a brick wall with the council and also a largely apathetic locality, there are various reasons for DFC's failure most of them are sadly obvious.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

DL_Fourteen

Post by DL_Fourteen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:53 pm

I thought the same of Hull when they were up with the big boys, that last game at their old ground seems like yesterday. In fact I can still feel the bruise on my jaw where the bloke in front of me jumped up to celebrate our goal and accidently caught me with a great uppercut! Is he on here?

To be fair he did buy me plenty of beer to say sorry!

Truth is, we've been badly managed/poor while teams have gone from strength to strength. Dig out an old programme and see the fortunes of old L2 teams. Most have gone up or down a league, but theres been exceptions. Rushden, Burton, CHester... all down, Hull Swansea Blackpool etc all up!

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:04 am

11th December 1976 LEAGUE TABLE
CAMBRIDGE
BRADFORD Cty
COLCHESTER
BOURNEMOUTH
STOCKPORT
HUDDERSFIELD
BARNSLEY
SOUTHEND
ROCHDALE
ALDERSHOT
WATFORD
EXETER
DARLINGTON
CREWE
SCUNTHORPE
DONCASTER
SWANSEA
TORQUAY
HALIFAX
NEWPORT Co
BRENTFORD
HARTLEPOOL
SOUTHPORT
WORKINGTON

We also had 17 (SEVENTEEN) businesses as Vice-Presidents plus 5 or 6 business people.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 am

Anybody remember that game played at the Arena in the snow? One of the best games we've had at the Arena.

JJ Darlo

Post by JJ Darlo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 am

Could remember it nearly called off. Think they where just over two thousand at the arena. Did we win it 2-1?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:19 am

JJ Darlo wrote:Could remember it nearly called off. Think they where just over two thousand at the arena. Did we win it 2-1?
Yeh that's the one. I remember Sarf (Darlo fan who lived in Southend but had season ticket along with his daughter) drove up for the game. He reckoned it snowed all the way from Southend up to the Arena. Managed to persude a steward to come in and announce that the game had been called off as a joke. Yes we won the game 2-1 with a last minute winner, the combination of darkness and snow falling made for a surreal experience.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:45 am

I think this is a good end of year league table...where are they now from the 1996/97 season!
In the space of 15 years...many have been in the Premier League, one has been in a UEFA Cup final...another has been in admin 3 times and 2 others no longer exists in their guise from this season!

Fulham
Wigan
Carlisle
Northampton
Swansea
Chester
Cardiff
Colchester
Lincoln C
Cambridge U
Mansfield
Scarborough
Scunthorpe
Rochdale
Barnet
Hull
Leyton Orient
Darlington
Doncaster
Hartlepool
Torquay
Exeter
Hereford
Brighton

One thing though...Brighton finished bottom this season, think of the turmoil they have been through and look at them now! There is always a way back - we are no where near the size of a club like Brighton but they appear to be finding their level, we will find ours again too.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 am

that's strange...http://www.soccerbase.com/tournaments/t ... urn_id=251 that is the second website I have been on and Brighton are bottom on both of them...why did they stay up?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:42 am

To give you something to ramble about.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 am

quaker4life wrote:It's not rocket science, Swansea have followed in the footsteps of Fulham, Wigan, Hull etc...

Each of which had an owner who was committed and prepared to invest in the long term and a fan base large enough to sustain themselves and also a stadium which suited their needs.

Darlo however first fell victim to an egotistical mackem who lumbered the club with a large white elephant stadium as a monument to himself despite the fact did it did not and nor never did it have a large enough fan base to fill it.

And then became a target for property developers who saw the remote location of the stadium as a potentially lucrative development opportunity, however both of them pretty much hit a brick wall with the council and also a largely apathetic locality, there are various reasons for DFC's failure most of them are sadly obvious.
Oh look, a q4l post mentioning the phrase "white elephant". Does it give you wood to keep mentioning it or something? Or maybe you're afraid that we'll all forget it's a white elephant if you don't keep reminding us?

Wigan by the way, were no bigger than Darlo at Springfield Park by the way, so no they didn't have the fanbase, just a very rich backer. Even at the top of the Championship they struggled to get over 10,000.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:48 am

Hereford finished bottom after losing their last game at home to Brighton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy7vKjEQK48
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:29 pm

thanks.

I have finally found a reference which says Brighton stayed up on goals scored, whereas the league table suggest on GDthey would have gone down.

Completely off topic I know but when did this change?

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Google it and find out you boring bastard

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:26 pm

£+ £-