Youth Board Member

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Q8Quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Youth Board Member

Post by Q8Quaker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:17 am

One thing that struck me at the meeting on Monday night was that most people there were 30+ with the vast majority the wrong side of 50. It might be an idea to (elect) a youth member onto the 1883 board to connect with the younger fanbase using social networking and the like.

charlie

Re: Youth Board Member

Post by charlie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:21 am

Thats the beauty though, the share holders will get to vote on who they want

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 am

But if you have people the wrong side of 50 then they'll no doubt vote for someone similar!

I think its a great idea, maybe not for the board itself, but certainly for the action groups that will work on behalf of the board members.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:27 pm

I raised this a while back as something I'd like to see happen to the Trust.

I certainly think it has mileage in DFC1883 but given you're probably not even to be a director if under 18.

The way to approach it IMO is for the DFC1883 to set up a junior Quaker scheme and then have a junior president and try to get feedback that way thru the full member list.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:32 pm

I was thinking the junior quaker route as well but in all honest what age group did Junior Quaker actually appeal to it felt more like 12 years old and under club really. Which with the best will in the world i don't think we can have a 12 year old as a representative.

I think by young member of the board I assume the OP was referring to somebody maybe 25 and under possibly who might be able to 'appeal' to the 14-25s age group basically.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:35 pm

i mean they'd have to have a certain level of maturity - but at the end of the day student presidents/society presidents at the college universitys that sort of position I would try and appeal to.

I reckon there could definately be mileage in trying to get different fans groups in place 12 and under, 14-16, 17/18, and 18-25s. Try and get sort of social events directed at these different age groups effectively as they all have different interests. This is what a 'youth' member of a board may be able to push forward and run with as they will be able to 'relate' a bit more.

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Theres been plenty of top work done by some of the young uns. Problem is, its a big ask for some of them to get too involved given their maturity levels and changing priorities. Some of them could give masses of time today but discover clunge and beer tomorrow, and we'd all be slagging them off for it.

Lets face it, we all know lads who disappear off the face of the earth when the old courting starts. Im sure its likewise with the laydees too, though probably less so.

That said, i vote for Big Tim, if only for his turnups and resemblence to Bert Large off Doc Martin. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Mullet69uk on Twitter

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Q8Quaker wrote:One thing that struck me at the meeting on Monday night was that most people there were 30+ with the vast majority the wrong side of 50. It might be an idea to (elect) a youth member onto the 1883 board to connect with the younger fanbase using social networking and the like.
Me and my mate must of been the only people there under 18.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Hilly wrote:But if you have people the wrong side of 50 then they'll no doubt vote for someone similar!

I think its a great idea, maybe not for the board itself, but certainly for the action groups that will work on behalf of the board members.
I'm glad you mentioned the action groups because I was curious when working parties (action groups) would be discussed. Are you able to explain more about this? Presumably, 2 key action groups will be finance and fundraiaing.

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Big Tim wrote:
Q8Quaker wrote:One thing that struck me at the meeting on Monday night was that most people there were 30+ with the vast majority the wrong side of 50. It might be an idea to (elect) a youth member onto the 1883 board to connect with the younger fanbase using social networking and the like.
Did not recognise you from your avatar, you must have been behind me

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:05 pm

wellindarlo wrote:
Big Tim wrote:
:lol:

I must of been 5-6 rows from the fornt

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:06 pm

were you the guy asking Weeks for a bag of crisps?

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:11 pm

wellindarlo wrote:were you the guy asking Weeks for a bag of crisps?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NO!!!!

GreathamDarlo

Post by GreathamDarlo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Lots of young people are involved in decision making processes at school/college now from uniform, curriculum planning to social events and staff interviews and make a really good job of it. They come up with ideas us oldies never would have dreamed of and take responsibility really seriously. I think this could be something that would get the youth involved in the club, perhaps even an update via the programme each match day in a more youth friendly format and as has been mentioned on social networking sites etc.
They are also a way of getting the local schools and colleges involved from the youth up over rather than the staff suggesting.

jjmick

Post by jjmick » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:48 pm

Big Tim wrote:
wellindarlo wrote:
Big Tim wrote:
:lol:

I must of been 5-6 rows from the fornt
Must HAVE, please.
Darlo till I die!!

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Spelling and pronunciation police are out in force today

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:51 pm

princes town wrote:
Hilly wrote:But if you have people the wrong side of 50 then they'll no doubt vote for someone similar!

I'm glad you mentioned the action groups because I was curious when working parties (action groups) would be discussed. Are you able to explain more about this? Presumably, 2 key action groups will be finance and fundraiaing.
Yup. Working parties were agreed a few weeks ago with various people (including the two areas you mention). Would be great to see people starting groups of their own up.

jjmick

Post by jjmick » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:52 pm

charlie wrote:Spelling and pronunciation police are out in force today
Grammar - the difference between knowing your s*** and knowing you're s***.
Darlo till I die!!

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 pm

As it's always said. Youth are the lifeblood of any club, getting your next generation of fans is absolutely vital for the future. Therefore getting somebody on their level with inspiration to go out and connect with them is a massive opportunity that we have to engage in
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:55 pm

jjmick wrote:

In your opinion

jjmick

Post by jjmick » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:57 pm

charlie wrote:
jjmick wrote:

In your opinion
No, the truth - your and you're mean two different things yet loads of people can't see the difference. Thankfully you used the correct one above.
Darlo till I die!!