What Is Required.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spymans piles
Team Supported: Darlington

What Is Required.

Post by spymans piles » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Watching the games against Sunderland and Newcastle i feel we need a
goal keeper
right fullback
left fullback
wide right midfielder
a striker.

DarloOnTheUp

Re: What Is Required.

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:18 pm

I think Knight will be fine once he's had a few games under his belt, so no new goalkeeper is needed. I agree about the rest though!

LoidPhil

Post by LoidPhil » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:25 pm

I think what is actually required is for a lot of people posting on here to remember the events of the last few months and be thankful that we have a club to be moaning about.

Not having a go at the originator of this particular thread but it really boils my piss that people are already picking holes in players that, for the most part, only met as a team 2 weeks ago. Fair enough we've been spanked in 2 home friendly matches, but for gods sake we arent going to be meeting that level of competition at all next season (a good cup run aside).

People seem to have forgotten that gone are the days of unsustainable playing budgets at our club. We need to be prudent and, unfortunately, with that comes a more mediocre class of player. I still believe that Toddy has done okay with the players he has brought in and, hopefully, with the edition of a couple of long term loanees I think we'll be alright this year, although my idea of "alright" is mid-lower half of the table.

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:41 pm

And of course we haven't had a "team" as such just a succession of triallists so it's hardly a yardstick.
Patience is called for.

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:14 am

Good last couple of posts, Todd and the team need time - rate players 10-15 games into the season and bear in mind we have played two quality sides on Thus and yesterday.

AlanSprouts

Post by AlanSprouts » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:49 am

At last, some people with a sense of perspective as against the whinging moaning bufoons who have been ripping the s*** out of our team before a SERIOUS ball has been kicked.
Yes there are obvious shortcomings but hey as has been said before we are truly lucky and blessed that we have a club to talk about and support. Lets have more positivity please chaps. :thumbup:

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:10 am

Once the team has gelled together it sould be more than good enough to compete in league 2, you look at the defence and you've got Foster to come back alongside Miller, so theres a tried and tested back 2, Starosta i think is being unfairly judged, he's been seen twice against premiership standard opposition, plus players who play for their countries, midfield i quite like the looks of Gary Smith and Chris Lumsdon and Jeff Smith looks like he could be a big player for us, upfront Thorpe and Windass will score goals, so for me our weakest positions are left back and right wing, other than that we just need a bit of depth to te squad which will hopefully cokme in the form of loans from Sunderland/Boro or Newcastle

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:37 am

TinShedDarloFan wrote:Once the team has gelled together it sould be more than good enough to compete in league 2, you look at the defence and you've got Foster to come back alongside Miller, so theres a tried and tested back 2, Starosta i think is being unfairly judged, he's been seen twice against premiership standard opposition, plus players who play for their countries, midfield i quite like the looks of Gary Smith and Chris Lumsdon and Jeff Smith looks like he could be a big player for us, upfront Thorpe and Windass will score goals, so for me our weakest positions are left back and right wing, other than that we just need a bit of depth to te squad which will hopefully cokme in the form of loans from Sunderland/Boro or Newcastle
Well said. My priorities would be another striker to allow Windass to link with midfield and a pacy left sided wing-back.

In terms of tactics - I like the neat football on the floor but too many players are losing the ball to the "one extra touch" instead of ofloading when they have the chance. I'd also like to see more shooting from the edge of the box when in range instead of always trying to walk the ball into the net. (Something Penney's team was also guilty of).

Early days but the signs are there and the scorelines against Sunderland and Newcastle are meaningless.