S&S make offer to club

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TFDM
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: S&S make offer to club

Post by TFDM » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Is there a massive demand for land in Darlington at the moment? There seems to be loads of it around the new northern corridor road which hasn't been developed.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:17 pm

TFDM wrote:Is there a massive demand for land in Darlington at the moment? There seems to be loads of it around the new northern corridor road which hasn't been developed.
Probably due to planning conditions. The T word who the council don't see on having also get a bigger bargaining chip if they can potentially save the towns football club.

mobi

Post by mobi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:17 pm

m62exile wrote:Mobi - not a loaded question, please don't take it the wrong way..what is your hope for DFC? Are you hoping for a phoenix club restart using the £50k?

Not trying to be confrontational, but the only options as I see them are this one or liquidation by Friday.
The best option is a buyer who has enough to pay off the debts and fund the side for the foreseeable future. If there is no buyer then the trust should use the money to start a new club. Liquidation is the only realistic option, you do not pour money into a business that is not viable. In my view, throwing the money in would mean we limp along then get liquidated in a few weeks.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:20 pm

divas wrote:
TFDM wrote:Is there a massive demand for land in Darlington at the moment? There seems to be loads of it around the new northern corridor road which hasn't been developed.
Probably due to planning conditions. The T word who the council don't see on having also get a bigger bargaining chip if they can potentially save the towns football club.
Didn't realise there might be planning restrictions around the Northern corridor road. I'm no expert on the state of demand for development at the moment but I can't imagine it being fantastic what with the economy being in the toilet and all. Unless S&S had received some sort of contact already from an interested party.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Ok, thanks for the response.

Another rich backer just continues the cycle, and with a few days to go I think we can assume there ain't going to be one. As Divas said earlier, the matched 50K, combined with a player sale or two and some players inevitably leaving would get us enough months to sort this out, S&S then I believe would top up if needed, and take it off their bottom line.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:23 pm

And, for those who are desperate for a phoenix club....this would be a phoenix club! It would be locally owned and ran, playing ultimately in its own stadium. For next to no running costs and up to 5 tiers further up the pyramid.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

fairfieldquaker

Post by fairfieldquaker » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:24 pm

What makes anyone think the council will play ball in this masterplan? Would it not be far easier for them to sit on the covenants for a few years, by which time our club has gone (whether that be full stop or to somewhere else as a Phoenix?) and they then change the covenants, S&S get their development and council gets money from S&S, without having to spend anything on a new stadium or other community projects... After all they wouldn't change the covenants, why would they do it now? Having said that I wouldn't at all be surprised if they did :thumbdown:

mobi

Post by mobi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:26 pm

m62exile wrote:Ok, thanks for the response.

Another rich backer just continues the cycle, and with a few days to go I think we can assume there ain't going to be one. As Divas said earlier, the matched 50K, combined with a player sale or two and some players inevitably leaving would get us enough months to sort this out, S&S then I believe would top up if needed, and take it off their bottom line.
Its not about topping up, its about a buyer! We are in administration. The administrator must liquidate if he can't find a buyer with sufficient capital. There is no buyer on the Horizon, so you can drag it out if you wish, but we will still be liquidated. The rescue group plan was screwed when Raj put it into admin.
Last edited by mobi on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoidPhil

Post by LoidPhil » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Re the posts implying that the council would be somehow 2-faced if they relax the covenents for S&S when they wouldn't budge for Raj, forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't the council's stance one of that they wouldn't/couldn't negotiate with Raj because he didn't own the land. Raj didn't fancy the gamble of buying the land and then failing to cut a deal with the council, but that's not to say the council wouldn't have budged for him, as,indeed, they may do now for S&S.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:27 pm

There is no guarantee that, come the end of the season, we will be any better off. I don't trust S & S, and I don't trust the Council. Neither will act in the best interests of DFC, and my concern is that, if there is no-one to invest in the summer, we will go pop. We would then have left it too late to get a phoenix club set up and entered into a league, and the interest and desire would disappear.

This proposal from S & S is too little and will not guarantee the continued existence of our club. Plus there is the Raj factor - what is to say he won't spit his dummy out again, and demand he is repaid?

Forgive the negativity, but I've come to terms with our impending demise.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

mobi

Post by mobi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Lawman3 wrote:There is no guarantee that, come the end of the season, we will be any better off. I don't trust S & S, and I don't trust the Council. Neither will act in the best interests of DFC, and my concern is that, if there is no-one to invest in the summer, we will go pop. We would then have left it too late to get a phoenix club set up and entered into a league, and the interest and desire would disappear.

This proposal from S & S is too little and will not guarantee the continued existence of our club. Plus there is the Raj factor - what is to say he won't spit his dummy out again, and demand he is repaid?

Forgive the negativity, but I've come to terms with our impending demise.
Agree with this completely.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:32 pm

mobi wrote:

Its not about topping up, its about a buyer! We are in administration. The administrator must liquidate if he can't find a buyer with sufficient capital. There is no buyer on the Horizon, so you can drag it out if you wish, but we will still be liquidated. The rescue group plan was screwed when Raj put it into admin.
Sorry, you're wrong. We have no costs beyond the end of the current players contracts, and the DFCRG have already committed to taking on the club if it can get to the summer. Then they will commit to take it on as a going concern. That would satisfy the creditors and the administrators.

mobi

Post by mobi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:33 pm

m62exile wrote:
mobi wrote:

Sorry, you're wrong. We have no costs beyond the end of the current players contracts, and the DFCRG have already committed to taking on the club if it can get to the summer. Then they will commit to take it on as a going concern. That would satisfy the creditors and the administrators.
Would it satisfy the administrator? The football creditors would not be paid up, and the rescue group don't have enough to pay the fuel bills!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Sometimes you just have to take a gamble.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

mobi

Post by mobi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Quakerz wrote:Sometimes you just have to take a gamble.
With £50,000? Fuck me, do you work in the City?

Shieldsy

Post by Shieldsy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:38 pm

If the situation is right, surely it's a better gamble than starting 6 leagues down from where we are and taking up to ten years just to get back to where we are now, all without anywhere to play and the very real potential of fans losing interest once people realise it isn't all as rosy as the stories such as AFC Wimbledon make out...

If worst comes to worst, recent efforts have shown we can raise money if required. Everything possible should be done to save the existing club, its history and its league status. If that requires a gamble of 50k then so be it.

Markoftheboro
Team Supported: Middlesbrough

Post by Markoftheboro » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Speaking as a outsider. It looks like the company wants to sell the land around the stadium. Correct me if I am wrong. The land around the riverside has stood undeveloped and unsold for 15+ years. Middlesbrough college, a office block and a apartment block have been built. The original plan was for a marina, restaurants and shops to be built. But lack of private funding has prevented it. The site is on the Teesside park scale. Less than a mile from the town centre. On the a66, exellent transport links. But no one has attempted to fund it. Whole area is rife for development. Just a warning, it might never be sold as the land around the riverside must be the cheapest to buy in the uk. Yet no one will attempt to develop it

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Shieldsy wrote:If the situation is right, surely it's a better gamble than starting 6 leagues down from where we are and taking up to ten years just to get back to where we are now, all without anywhere to play and the very real potential of fans losing interest once people realise it isn't all as rosy as the stories such as AFC Wimbledon make out...

If worst comes to worst, recent efforts have shown we can raise money if required. Everything possible should be done to save the existing club, its history and its league status. If that requires a gamble of 50k then so be it.
Don't see it as that much of a gamble anyway. I wouldn't expect the rust to decide until they've had meaningful and detailed discussions with DBC & S&S & DFCRG. I'm only advocating going ahead once the details have been confirmed as those that have been reported.

Everything is a gamble anyway, starting with £50k, no ground, no league place, no squad, no manager sounds like a bit of a gamble to me anyway.

Oh, and turning this down would no doubt rule out the short term use of the Arena as well i would have thought.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Mobi.

I disagree with you.

The business COULD be viable. Just because Raj's figures didn't add up it doesn't mean to say that a more realistic budget wouldn't work.

Other teams survive in this league with smaller gates than us.

I get the feeling that some people on here are thinking " I've said my goodbyes and that's it" but give your heads a shake!

It's like that Peter Kay advert for biscuits or something, where he's frog marching his old gran to the nursing home saying " come on now, it's for the best"

The phoenix club thing. It's only to be used when the patient is dead.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:47 pm

mobi wrote:
It's not a lot in football club terms - if we were talking 50 million it'd be a bit different. 50k can easily be raised again between now and the new season.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

mobi

Post by mobi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Quakerz wrote:
mobi wrote:
It's not a lot in football club terms - if we were talking 50 million it'd be a bit different. 50k can easily be raised again between now and the new season.
Yes, but if we do this we won't be able to have a new club ready in time to start next season.

Shieldsy

Post by Shieldsy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:49 pm

50k is less than we were paying Adam Quinn for a year... Put it like that, and its hardly a massive sum - yet it could keep the club alive.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Mobi, by the sounds of it you have close ties to the trust. If this is true and they have the same attitude as you then I think itll be a no-goer since you seem hell bent on the demise of the current club and the rise of a new club under trust control.

Allan Quatermain

S&S make offer to club

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:53 pm

loan_star wrote:
Quakerz wrote:What?

Have you dim fuckerss not read the full article?

There is potentially a win/win for EVERYBODY at the end of this...including the club. S & S get their money back, the council relax the covenants, we get a community stadium as part of the deal. The council's MAIN concern is that no private individual makes a killing on the stadium. That has always been their stance, and always will be.

There are very encouraging noises coming from the council spokesman about a potential deal that could benefit all.

Maybe the council simply never trusted the previous 3 chairmen?
Pleased I'm not the only one who thinks this!!!
Nope. Me too.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:54 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote: Other teams survive in this league with smaller gates than us.
Other teams don't have 120k plus heating bills. Plus other clubs with smaller gates than us such as Forest Green and Gateshead have financial benefactors.

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Why all the doom and gloom...we are saved.. there is a way to keep Darlofc in bussiness :)

Now we can keep going till the end of the season and get a sensible budget set for next season part time in the BSN. Its all do able the trust must hand over the money raised in the name of saving Darlington Football Club, a question is will the trust get a shear in the club for the 50 grand.

mobi

Post by mobi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:58 pm

loan_star wrote:Mobi, by the sounds of it you have close ties to the trust. If this is true and they have the same attitude as you then I think itll be a no-goer since you seem hell bent on the demise of the current club and the rise of a new club under trust control.
Nope, I don't have close ties to the trust.

By the way, I am not hell bent on the demise of this club, and you are a c*** for suggesting I am. Oh, and a prick too. Please apologise.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:01 pm

mobi wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
mobi wrote:
Yes, but if we do this we won't be able to have a new club ready in time to start next season.
Why not? 31st March is the deadline to have a constitution, venue and business plan ready for a new club.

If liquidation next week is inevitable, liquidation would be inevitable in about a month should things go tits up...

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:03 pm

No I wont apologise. You make it clear in the way you post that you would rather the slim chance we have of saving DFC in its current guise should be thrown away because you think the £50k should go towards another club. If that isnt being hell bent on seeing the current club die then I dont know what is!! Plenty would say its you who is the c*** and prick for thinking that way.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:05 pm

BUT maybe mobi is right.

The heating is 10 grand a month, 120k a year!