S&S make offer to club

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Shieldsy
Team Supported: Darlington

S&S make offer to club

Post by Shieldsy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:04 pm

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... _lifeline/

Intriguing, but unfortunately I can't see it happening.

polam lane

Re: S&S make offer to club

Post by polam lane » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:07 pm

They never know when to give up do they!
Last edited by polam lane on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bizza
Team Supported: Darlo, Newcastle United

Post by Bizza » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Philip Scott and Graham Sizers £50,000 offer is conditional on Darlington FC Supporters Trust matching it by investing the money that was raised by fans and townspeople when the club was in administration in 2003.
Dead in the water then.
"The Darlo fans away to our left go ballistic!"

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 pm

If the Trust invest their £50k at this point we might as well switch the lights off forever.

Plainly ridiculous!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:10 pm

suprise suprise - sounds as though they got what they wanted i.e. rid of Raj and now they can negotiate with DBC themselves with a bargaining chip of saving DFC.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:11 pm

So - do the trust invest now and loose the chance of starting a new club?

Bizza
Team Supported: Darlo, Newcastle United

Post by Bizza » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Even if the trust do invest the £50k they have then £100k is not enough to save us.
"The Darlo fans away to our left go ballistic!"

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:12 pm

As expected S&S have shown their hand. The ball is now in the trust and council's court.

Personally I can't see them relaxing the covenants which is the only thing that will save the club but we can live in hope. As I've said before the deal will be beneficial to all parties and the council could save the club. If more than 2% of the town were behind the club there would be a chance but given an overwhelming majority of the townsfolk don't care it will ultimately influence their decision imo

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Bizza wrote:Even if the trust do invest the £50k they have then £100k is not enough to save us.
Thats true, but if a land sale can raise enough to cover a new community stadium, pay S&S off and cover anything they have to put up front to save the club till the end of the season then that £50k is best spent NOW!

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:14 pm

... so in other words ... they want the money already raised that could go towards the creation of a new club .... How scary is that? ... not intriguing at all!!!!!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:14 pm

dont forget Raj could scupper this also, if he knows S&S are involved he could call in his debts and dfc could fold - either way there doesnt look to be an amicable solution.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:15 pm

What?

Have you dim fuckerss not read the full article?

There is potentially a win/win for EVERYBODY at the end of this...including the club. S & S get their money back, the council relax the covenants, we get a community stadium as part of the deal. The council's MAIN concern is that no private individual makes a killing on the stadium. That has always been their stance, and always will be.

There are very encouraging noises coming from the council spokesman about a potential deal that could benefit all.

Maybe the council simply never trusted the previous 3 chairmen?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:15 pm

Bizza wrote:Even if the trust do invest the £50k they have then £100k is not enough to save us.
It's not, but it should buy some time for council negotiations. If the council were to make some positive indications I'm sure more cash could be forthcoming on the proviso it could be recouped when the land could be sold for retail development

It's the last roll on the dice for S&S and for the club in it's current format. Its the best offer the club will get.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:16 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:dont forget Raj could scupper this also, if he knows S&S are involved he could call in his debts and dfc could fold - either way there doesnt look to be an amicable solution.
If Raj did that, then that would be punishing us for his inability to come to an agreement with S & S.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Quakerz wrote:What?

There is potentially a win/win for EVERYBODY at the end of this...including the club. S & S get their money back, the council relax the covenants, we get a community stadium as part of the deal. The council's MAIN concern is that no private individual makes a killing on the stadium. That has always been their stance, and always will be.

There are very encouraging noises coming from the council spokesman about a potential deal that could benefit all.

Pleased I'm not the only one who thinks this!!!

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:20 pm

i have read every word. Here is the key paragraph:

Relaxing the covenants might enable the pair to sell or re-develop the stadium. A share of the proceeds would go to the council, and could finance a more viable stadium for the Quakers

So chuck in your cash now, let us sell the land and make a priofit (what kind of share are they looking at for the council?) and let the council sort you out a new home. Now who do you trust most..................

Shieldsy

Post by Shieldsy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:21 pm

loan_star wrote:

This is my view on the proposal. It is encouraging, and if it to work out it would easily be the best situation by far for all involved. Unfortunately, though, I do think it's too little too late and I don't think that the Trust will gamble their 50k now when they've held onto it for so long. But the prospect of survival and a new community stadium and a life away from the Arena is too exciting just to disregard.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Well it depends on the figures.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:23 pm

As a 'dim fucker' I actually did misread that article.

That does sound very promising indeed. Very promising.

However, what happens when short term finance runs out and cannot be found, or the respective parties cannot agree a deal?

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:24 pm

MKDarlo wrote:i have read every word. Here is the key paragraph:

Relaxing the covenants might enable the pair to sell or re-develop the stadium. A share of the proceeds would go to the council, and could finance a more viable stadium for the Quakers

So chuck in your cash now, let us sell the land and make a priofit (what kind of share are they looking at for the council?) and let the council sort you out a new home. Now who do you trust most..................
The plan is a little more intricate than this and will safeguard all parties interest before anything is sold, however the trust would need to match S&S's short term gamble purely because of the lack of time

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Shieldsy wrote:
loan_star wrote:

This is my view on the proposal. It is encouraging, and if it to work out it would easily be the best situation by far for all involved. Unfortunately, though, I do think it's too little too late and I don't think that the Trust will gamble their 50k now when they've held onto it for so long. But the prospect of survival and a new community stadium and a life away from the Arena is too exciting just to disregard.
It would be a gamble, but a gamble that nobody would criticise the Trust for taking. I'm sure that they must have held more detailed talks with S&S and have a good feel whether this is a genuine go-er or not.

Also, let us not forget, this is not a case of the Trust being asked to pour money into a black hole for no return, this is a gamble of keeping the club going long enough that it can be saved and THEY would be a part of the new ownership.

Also, why can't we raise a bit of money too?

And, where is Kev Smith's mate?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Beano wrote:As a 'dim fucker' I actually did misread that article.

That does sound very promising indeed. Very promising.

However, what happens when short term finance runs out and cannot be found, or the respective parties cannot agree a deal?
I would guess S&S would have to cover any shortfall and claim this back on the land sale.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:30 pm

divas wrote:
MKDarlo wrote:i have read every word. Here is the key paragraph:

The plan is a little more intricate than this and will safeguard all parties interest before anything is sold, however the trust would need to match S&S's short term gamble purely because of the lack of time
I'm pretty sure that the Trust money is not in an instant access account either. It might only be a loss of interest penalty but to get a better rate of interest they might have it on 3 months notice. :shifty:

darlotoon

Post by darlotoon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:31 pm

if it isn't more than £50k after 10yrs on that type of notice there should be serious questions

Rocky Dennis

Post by Rocky Dennis » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:31 pm

So a potential cash investment of 100k leaving a short fall of 200k +. can this be raised / generated over the rest of the season? I think so! It's also pretty obvious that S and S need the club to continue. Maybe they would match another bit raised in April/may if required.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Ball in the Trust's court now eh? this should be interesting ;)

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:32 pm

darlotoon wrote:if it isn't more than £50k after 10yrs on that type of notice there should be serious questions
The interest has been used to fund/help the youth team I believe

darlotoon

Post by darlotoon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:34 pm

forgot about that , apologies

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Guys, I know its a long time ago but this is basically the speculation we had the other day (Weds) on the "out of the box idea" thread, albeit without the council putting in short term liquidity (to be fair to Divas, he said this wouldn't happen)

If, and its a big if - talks between S&S and DBC go well, and there is an agreement that relaxes the covenants, and includes funding provision for a new stadium (maybe even at Feethams, although that bit is a separate issue), then DFC potentially...

Get out of the arena
Get a small stadium
Stay in the BSP (so long as Raj waives his debts)
Puts the club in to local hands

I don't speak for the Trust, but if they haven't been involved in discussions with DBC and S&S then they need to and fast. Crucial is the response from DBC. If I take Bill Dixon's comments at face value in the Echo piece, I'd say he's playing ball - but they need to find that out for themselves. I would hope that for providing this funding, the DFCRG would give them the seat on the board they were looking for.

This deal, if it can be brought about, is a damn sight better than pissing about in the Wearside League on the bones of our arse scrabbling about for favours for a ground to play in.

darlotoon

Post by darlotoon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:38 pm

why are the Trust never contactable ???? where do these people live ? no phones ? mobiles? internet ? Us ordinary mortals have never been far away from this board or Twitter seeing what is happening with our club and how we can help ?