The numbers ( don't add up ... )

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Thebeancounter
Team Supported: Darlington

The numbers ( don't add up ... )

Post by Thebeancounter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:41 pm

I'm missing something here, but where's the 3million the chairman has "put in" of the last two years actually gone and what exactly is our current financial state ?

I've no idea of footballer wagers but let's say 25 players at £30k a year ... Some more some less ? Total £750,000 a year

Income - broad brush I think between season tickets and gate fees £500,000 a year.

Now there are costs of running the club certainly but lets assume that the carvery, bar, shop, program's etc etc just breaks even. I'm adding the backroom promotion and marketing staff into that bucket - if that area doesn't make money simply shut it down, no carvery, no bar etc etc ... Well why would you, just focus on the football side ?

So we at at £250,000 a year loss and add to that ground maintenance, office staff, etc etc
But off that comes player fees ( big one from fulham !) Wembley income ( no idea ?)

I just don't get how you get to a £3 million cash cost over two years ...

Feel free to fire away ... Maybe I'm miles off on salaries ?

Thebeancounter

Re: The numbers ( don't add up ... )

Post by Thebeancounter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Schoolboy error - missed the management team £100,000 ?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:47 pm

For starters we've gone through 5 managers, 3 of which have had their contracts paid up.

We've also gone through more than just one squad of players.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Rocky Dennis

Post by Rocky Dennis » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Thebeancounter wrote:Schoolboy error - missed the management team £100,000 ?
I do think the op is conservative with figures however I also think Raj is quoting over the top figures. In all fairness it's probably somewhere in-between, not as much and not as less IMO!

Thebeancounter

Post by Thebeancounter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Spyman wrote:For starters we've gone through 5 managers, 3 of which have had their contracts paid up.

Agree on the manager numbers ( but most have been his own appointments and he's agreed the contractual terms )

Not so sure on the squad - you'd only have x number of players on the books - some come, some go - you should only pay those in the squad ( unless your paying players contracts up too ?)

Thebeancounter

Post by Thebeancounter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Anyone know what we made from Fulham ? And what Wembley generated ?

Spyman

Re: Re: The numbers ( don't add up ... )

Post by Spyman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Thebeancounter wrote:
Spyman wrote:For starters we've gone through 5 managers, 3 of which have had their contracts paid up.

Agree on the manager numbers ( but most have been his own appointments and he's agreed the contractual terms )

Not so sure on the squad - you'd only have x number of players on the books - some come, some go - you should only pay those in the squad ( unless your paying players contracts up too ?)
And we paid up a lot of contracts from the Todd/Staunton spells.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Stu77

Post by Stu77 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Thebeancounter wrote:Anyone know what we made from Fulham ? And what Wembley generated ?
Wembley generated a false dawn :(

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:03 pm

The average salary of a L2 footballer was £49.6k in 2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4898392.stm

I think you are out on the wage cost.

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:11 pm

For every 40k player we have had there was also a 20k in the team so over all it maybe a bit more than you estimated but I think you have underestimated income from sponsorship, boxes so you will not be a million miles out, certainly not £80 grand a month out.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Grimsby lost 900k last year. You can make up sugar coated maths all you want but the costs are astronomical to run a professional club, and the income at this level is minimal.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Thebeancounter

Post by Thebeancounter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Quakerz wrote:Grimsby lost 900k last year. You can make up sugar coated maths all you want but the costs are astronomical to run a professional club, and the income at this level is minimal.
Thanks for that its really constructive, a big help. Cheers.

Charlie_Darlo

Post by Charlie_Darlo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:35 pm

To be fair to the original post, I fail to see why Darlo always fares so badly financially when other clubs survive on similar/smaller gates.

The stadium argument is a bit of a red herring IMO as we always struggled when we played at Feethams.

A lot of it is due to who we've had running the club over the last 30 or so years.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Thebeancounter wrote:
Quakerz wrote:Grimsby lost 900k last year. You can make up sugar coated maths all you want but the costs are astronomical to run a professional club, and the income at this level is minimal.
Bottom line is nearly all BSP clubs lose a lot of money each season.

I did an extensive summary of costs that clubs have to pay out that your average fan doesn't always consider, and it is easy to see why our income only covers our overheads and not the playing budget.

As you can appreciate, I don't want to repost it every single time somebody different posts "how can we lose so much money, where does it all go?", which is basically every day.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

njb

Post by njb » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:54 pm

York were in a similar position a few years ago and now are getting 3000 plus each week so maybe there is hope (could well be wishful thinking)

Charlie_Darlo

Post by Charlie_Darlo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:00 pm

njb wrote:York were in a similar position a few years ago and now are getting 3000 plus each week so maybe there is hope (could well be wishful thinking)
York are doing well at the moment and the McGills have done a good job. However, the proposed stadium move to Monks Cross (think we are too far out of town) is a grave mistake.

Thebeancounter

Post by Thebeancounter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Thebeancounter wrote:
Bottom line is nearly all BSP clubs lose a lot of money each season.

I did an extensive summary of costs that clubs have to pay out that your average fan doesn't always consider, and it is easy to see why our income only covers our overheads and not the playing budget.

As you can appreciate, I don't want to repost it every single time somebody different posts "how can we lose so much money, where does it all go?", which is basically every day.

Did you ... Could you direct me to that thread ?
Many thanks.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Certainly - I'm not saying I'm 100% right with my assumptions, and it is based on Raj telling the truth that it's costing him 80k a month to sub the club, which is roughly equivalent to the wage bill. Ergo, income covers overheads but not the playing budget.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:33 pm

I can't find the post that I was referring to.

Thebeancounter

Post by Thebeancounter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Quakerz wrote:I can't find the post that I was referring to.
No probs - but there is no way he's putting £80k a month in, that's pure fiction.

olrad

Post by olrad » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:12 pm

what if we slash our outgoings and raj stays as chairman in name only. would the pepercorn rent for the stadium stand because i can't see £200 per week being to much of a drain and could not see it being bettered anywhere else . i'm getting a bit sick of the DNR attitude lots off us are adopting. i know we're all down ,sick as tuck but it's starting to look like no one gives a toss. i know this is not the case,but i'm sure thats the impression WE are giving out and if thats our fight over its been a bit of a wimper from us FANS so we can't expect much if anything from anybody else . lets make some noise,ask some questions and hopefully breath a bit of life back into the old girl, even if it does amount to a last hoorah.