MK Dons

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

MK Dons

Post by loan_star » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Apparently are completing the development of their stadium from 22000 to 32000 thanks to a cash windfall from a retail development on the land around the stadium.

What it must be like to have a local council that allows such developments........ :think:

legendaryburgerboy

Re: MK Dons

Post by legendaryburgerboy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:03 pm

loan_star wrote:Apparently are completing the development of their stadium from 22000 to 32000 thanks to a cash windfall from a retail development on the land around the stadium.

What it must be like to have a local council that allows such developments........ :think:

Wonder why they bother ?
MK Dongs aint exactly filling their ground week in week out are they ?
Counting down the hours till Ted loose cannon Forster gets banned

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:04 pm

The point is they are able to do so since they are allowed to have another development on the site which gives them the money to spend!

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 pm

loan_star wrote:The point is they are able to do so since they are allowed to have another development on the site which gives them the money to spend!
Would think it better spent on the squad though?

Agree with the original point though - a supportive council must be nice.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:31 pm

Post from a Luton fan elsewhere (Pobody, if you're watching :toppa:)
It's quite interesting to see the difference in success when a council backs a club.

Look at Swansea, were right down the bottom and now have ended up in the Prem, all with a council driven stadium.

Hull were always pissing about where they belong in the bottom tier, the council sells holdings to raise money to build a new stadium, they have flourished.

The council gave Southampton permission to build on disused land and this St Marys was born, ok they haven't done great but no doubt its part of the reason why they were invested in.

MK Dons would be rotting in the doldrums of the league if they were still at the Hockey Stadium but are now doing really well.

I imagine I could provide loads more examples.

Luton Borough Council :wtf:

In other news the Programme Notes had a go at the fans Saturday for not being inclusive enough to the local residents of Bury Park :shock: :shock: :shock:
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:32 pm

The Milton Keynes Bowl gets quite a few big bands playing there. Maybe MK Dons want in on a bit of that action?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 pm

loan_star wrote:Apparently are completing the development of their stadium from 22000 to 32000 thanks to a cash windfall from a retail development on the land around the stadium.

The Dongs own the ground. It is owned by Inter MK Ltd. The Dongs are a tenant. You will also find that ASDA have, i understand, contributed a large sum to the development of the site.

Stadium:mk is only part of the construction. There are plans for an indoor arena and a massive shopping complex. (I think the contracts for all that were agreed in the last few days)

The key fact here is that the council owned ( and still do, indirectly, own) the land on which the stadium is built. They have not disposed of it to an individual. the construction of the stadium, the retail park, the massive asda ( even getting the traitors to MK) are all part of the wider development strategy for MK. The council are experts at attracting massive business to the town (my employer being one)

However the main point is that the council still, indirectly, own the land. They have not disposed of it to a third party. Therefore there is no need to impose as stringent restrictive covenants ( they will still be there)

Therefore I don’t think your comparison is a fair one. One wonders f a more sensible situation could have been created without Mr Reynolds at the helm. Surely a sensible man would have got the council or a large company on board at day 1! This seems to be the way forward for many of the new grounds, MK, Brighton, Colchester, Coventry etc.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:06 pm

MK Dongs are an abomination of a football club that should not be in the football league, but that is for another debate.

Stadium MK looks quite impressive in the pictures I've seen of it but the unfinised upper tier is an absolute eyesore, it will much look better with seats in it whether they are used or not.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 pm

quaker4life wrote:MK Dongs are an abomination of a football club that should not be in the football league, but that is for another debate.

Stadium MK looks quite impressive in the pictures I've seen of it but the unfinised upper tier is an absolute eyesore, it will much look better with seats in it whether they are used or not.
Stadium MK is one of the best football grounds I've visited.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Spyman wrote:
quaker4life wrote:MK Dongs are an abomination of a football club that should not be in the football league, but that is for another debate.

Is it true they have cushioned seats in the away end?
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

feethams

Post by feethams » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:59 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Is it true they have cushioned seats in the away end?
It's one of the nicest I've been to as well and yes all the seats were cushioned. Shame it was a crap game when we went!