The missing 7000

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Fatty eats roadkill
Team Supported: Darlington

The missing 7000

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Glad you enjoyed your day in the sun in may.

Now do one and don't EVER tell me you support DFC.

Thanks you bastards :evil:
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Jazz Maverick

Re: The missing 7000

Post by Jazz Maverick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:06 pm

They're probably all hiding from France and Germany's impending invasion.

Eric_Cartman

Post by Eric_Cartman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:09 pm

These are the same people who will spend each Saturday afternoon in the Green Dragon/Turks with their Newcastle or Man Utd shirts on.

I think its more like 8000/8500 to be fair but thanks to them all the same :clap:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:11 pm

I was at Wembley, but haven't been able to make a home game this season.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:21 pm

As one of the "missing 7000" I remember my first ever Darlington game at Southport in the 70's. And we were all at Port Vale when we were hammered in that distant echo of the Johnstone's Paint! Me and my lads have been to many, many games mainly away but we have kept the faith and they were in tears at Wembley the time before last We went to Fleetwood this season and we're going to Wrexham. We can't all be hundred percenters but have great admiration for Nick and co who turn up everywhere so please don't put us all in the same box. Like Spyman, distance, money and other things take priority. If that makes me a "b******" in yoyur eyes, fatty then so be it......

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:25 pm

I was inferring to those who haven't been for some time but came out of the woodwork for wembley. It's safe to say we all know plenty of them
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:25 pm

I know loads of glory-hunting twats who come to Wembley but haven't been to a game this season.

It these "fans" that have caused part of the inevitable. Seeing us go bust. Smug fucking pricks.

If they'd supported the club, then we might not be in this predicament.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:28 pm

to me its not so much the 7-800 extra that travelled to wembley, that sort of number was to be expected to travel down, its more the 1000-1500 that have vanished that attended the games under penney, it wasnt that long ago we were pulling in crowds of 3000+

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote:to me its not so much the 7-800 extra that travelled to wembley, that sort of number was to be expected to travel down, its more the 1000-1500 that have vanished that attended the games under penney, it wasnt that long ago we were pulling in crowds of 3000+
Spot on.

And the ones among them that went to Wembley in particular.

As you say, there'll be loads of hangers on who have only ever turned out for the big games. They're normally pretty honest about that. It's the ones who came regularly, fucked off and then came back for the big game to fuck off again immediately.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:36 pm

yes I'm frustrated about dwindling crowds but can you really blame people?

Not taking into account the economic crisis that we are currently in (esp with tories in charge who have no plan for economic growth but thats a different matter), £16-18 is a lot of money for a single person. Take a family of four perhaps, it could cost in the region of £50-60 per game. I doubt many people have that spare.

The arena isnt the greatest place to watch games, it lacks atmosphere, if you're over 5'10 your legs can't fit in. The fans are always getting on the players backs which suggests something to fans.

One of the biggest reasons if sky tv with the amount of free matches where you can pay £32 per month for sky or pay stupid amounts for darlo. When darlo are more than 2/3 travelling time away i usually watch soccer saturday and it is great entertainment.

On those reasons alone i can see their point

Trike

Post by Trike » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:07 pm

i didnt goto wembley was working or some such

i have been to a cpl of games this season but i find the stadium souless. was a regular at feethams dont think i missed a home games there for yrs even got a free ticket one w/end when they were giving em away for polam lane end and theres was me and this lad stood alone in pissy down rain sad gits we were cant even remember who we played.

i dont have sky and dont goto pub to watch either
prefer to be there but with some atmosphere

oh well

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Glad you enjoyed your day in the sun in may.

Some of those missing 7,000 like me will face a couple of hundred mile round trips to home games. I get to 10 to 15 games a season but I am more often than not missing from homes games.

I wonder how many of that 7,000 are exiled Darlo fans altogether in one place at one time rather than just people from the town who just rocked up once for a big game.

Eric_Cartman

Post by Eric_Cartman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:27 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:
Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Glad you enjoyed your day in the sun in may.

Some of those missing 7,000 like me will face a couple of hundred mile round trips to home games. I get to 10 to 15 games a season but I am more often than not missing from homes games.

Yes, take your point but there's an awful lot who live in the town, claim they are fans yet before wembley, problem hadnt been since the Hartlepool 3-0 game. The team need fans more than ever when things arent going well, in the relegation year, i know people who've gone for years that just said fuck that, and spent the money down the club whilst the match was going on. We have a hardcore 1300, anywhere between 500-800 who will make an effort more often than not then a good few thousand who turn up when its the popular thing to do (see wembley, hartlepool games, play offs etc)

I wonder how many of that 7,000 are exiled Darlo fans altogether in one place at one time rather than just people from the town who just rocked up once for a big game.

Charlie_Darlo

Post by Charlie_Darlo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:38 pm

To be fair, I think all of the s*** over the last decade or so has ground a lot of people down. I know a few who've simply stopped going because of it.

Wembley was the bright spot from the last 20 years, but normal service has resumed.

HICKER

Post by HICKER » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 pm

Didn't go to Wembley....(working)...and as a home game is a 400 mile round trip, have never done that many during a season, but away games yeah it was the crack...and have done many away games over the years, including every away league game one of the seasons...sponsored one of the players kits for two years, to put a few pennies in the coffers....even had a season ticket. ok it was given to me by one of the players.. when Uncle george was in charge lol and Hodgy was manager..I used to witness players getting stuck in and earning their wages...

We weren't the best of teams but as least we got stuck in and had some decent players to watch week in...

Ok its gone tits up over the last few years....

STAUNTON pissed me off after losing 5-0 at Torquay and the few fans that were there clapping the players and players clapping back STAUNTON no acknowlegement what so ever....

COOPER's style was so boring game starts at 0-0 he'd be happy with that at 90 mins..witnessed a shite game at Altringham 0-2 down 10 mins to go ok we drew 2-2...Kettering away 0-0 total and utter shite....we wont mention Bath and Eastborne that I went to.....

Think that explains me stopping away.....

So why don't I go any more to be honest better things to do, my hard earned cash wasting away NO THANKS as and when things get back to some normality then I'll go, and if you ask the missing 7000 you may get the same sort of answer...

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Spyman wrote:I was at Wembley, but haven't been able to make a home game this season.
I've only managed once. And I wish I hadn't.
It was Hayes and Yeading before you get your knives out.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:40 pm

Charlie_Darlo wrote:To be fair, I think all of the s*** over the last decade or so has ground a lot of people down. I know a few who've simply stopped going because of it.

Wembley was the bright spot from the last 20 years, but normal service has resumed.
Dead right and if we should somehow come thru this there'll be even more that stop going. There's only so many kicks you can take.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:43 pm

Personally I think Reynols and his shenanigans drove many away, Houghton drove more away, and although we won at Wembley, our form this season has driven away anyone who even would have considered buying a ticket, let alone season ticket.

We've been a victim of a spectacularly atrocious run of bad luck and it's probably kinder to take ol' yeller out to the pasture and shoot him.

The Love Slug

Post by The Love Slug » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:08 am

I've got a season ticket and after watching the toon game in frankies with a couple of lads we simply couldn't be arsed to go and put up with more shite.

I don't feel guilty either. I've decided that when it comes to dfc I'm going to think of no. 1 for a change.

number_one

Post by number_one » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:53 am

The Love Slug wrote:I've decided that when it comes to dfc I'm going to think of no. 1 for a change.
You've got my back bro, appreciated.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:09 am

I'm one who used to go, but now can't. It became a simple choice due to a change in the economic climate. Season ticket or mortgage/electric etc. Guess what I chose?

It irks me that people sensationalise and tar everyone who isn't going now with the same brush. Simple fact is, the football club has alienated the towns folk (not Raj's fault - but he hasn't done enough to rectify it either), and when there has been gilt edged oportunities to get people back through the gates, the club haven't been pro active - just expectant.

It kills me to see my club slowly imploding once more. Trust me it is even worse for us who can't go for reasons beyond our means because we have a guilt that we can't shift, make worse by stupid generalisations from the so called rightous who are still able to go. If we could be there week in week out we would be. But we can't.

A few weeks ago I had the money to go, and I treated my dad too. The display was so appauling that I actually apologised for ruining his afternoon. He won't be back any time soon. And do you know what, for the first time since giving up my season ticket, I was actually glad I don't have to watch such rubbish week in week out. That's not saying that I wouldn't be there if I could, but I'm just happy that the little money I do have isn't being wasted on utter dross.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:24 am

Hicker-the memories will remain, our trip to Carlisle, pint in a leery pub, packs of Jaffa Cakes and good company! I remember losing at Droylesden and my Manc brother in law said he'd never go again! it's never stopped me, no matter how badly we're playing and my lads and their mates (despite being Reds and Evertonians) have loved every minute and we've travelled all over the country, sometimes going for very long periods without a win. That night at Springfield Park stands out, 3-0 down and back to 3-2 (the memory is fading) and it never stopped raining-that's what following Darlo has been about. Mostly lows but great people and lots of laughs........

RA1919
Team Supported: Darlington RA

Post by RA1919 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:39 pm

I've only been to the Southport game this season. Little note before you start criticizing people for not turning out too much. If it wasn't £18 to watch absolute shite maybe a few more people would attend. IMO it's extortionate.
Darlington RA keeping the faith

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:16 pm

People definately haven't been getting value for money for this season and probably a while before that. I wonder if we manage to muddle through to the end of the season whether Raj would be tempted to slash season ticket prices like poolie have done, in ordwer to try and get the long lost fans back to the club?

HICKER

Post by HICKER » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Good idea Pete .....but if the football is total shite who is going to watch it and keep putting up with it.......a successfull winning team will draw the crowds back in to the good old days at Feethams.....

Ok the new ground will still look empty....

Exciting winning football is whats wanted or even exciting football...

MERSEY SID the JAFFA KING that was Carlisle on a Tuesday night and for me a 420 mile round trip.....I wouldn't go to Kiddy now to watch the shite and thats 15 mile away.....

pb1991
Team Supported: Darlington+Newcastle

Post by pb1991 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:11 pm

on friday will be my 12 year anniversary of supporting/going to darlo games

i will freely admit that the 2nd time we went to admin killed me for darlo, it hurt too much. i applaud all those who have battled on and kept going well done but for me i cant afford to pay £18 to watch us, every time we get close to promotion something fucks up and it hurts.

after the final home game of that admin season was it Brentford or Dag+Red? :?:

i've never been to a League game since..... :thumbdown:

i went to the game against Leeds under Todd (Paint trophy or league cup?)

and last season i went to Sailsbury in the FA trophy, both home+away games against Gateshead in FA trophy (first man on pitch in that game!) and of course Wembley!

now i was considering popping to the arena this season as i felt this would be a good year however i hadnt yet got round to it but as the wheels started falling off i felt less inclined to spend my money on darlo

so am i b****** of a fan?

i'd say no i've been to hundreds of games, had a season ticket, been to wembley twice.

but if you want to tar me with that brush than feel free

also to add my Dad who supported darlo for 50 years has gone to probs 1000's of games hadnt been to a darlo game for 3 and half years but went to the Gateshead games and wembley. he stopped going due to high expense, too far to travel if he went on foot to the arena, he cant smoke in the ground.

so thats two darlo fans down!

i'd also add my mother stopped going after the way the club treated Hodgy and then the price increases!

my brother has been a few times but again finds prices too high.

so from my family alone darlo have had and lost 4 fans in the last 5 years!

feethams

Post by feethams » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:21 am

I'd go more often regardless of the performances if it was watching the game somewhere other than the arena. The place is lifeless. Looking at 23000 empty seats is grim whichever way you look at it.

polam lane

Post by polam lane » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:48 am

AndyPark wrote:I know loads of glory-hunting twats who come to Wembley but haven't been to a game this season.

It these "fans" that have caused part of the inevitable. Seeing us go bust. Smug fucking pricks.

If they'd supported the club, then we might not be in this predicament.
At what point does the owner/chairman become the problem?

polam lane

Post by polam lane » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:51 am

feethams wrote:I'd go more often regardless of the performances if it was watching the game somewhere other than the arena. The place is lifeless. Looking at 23000 empty seats is grim whichever way you look at it.
So you are alive! You stole my username......................

STEVO

Post by STEVO » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Eric_Cartman wrote:These are the same people who will spend each Saturday afternoon in the Green Dragon/Turks with their Newcastle or Man Utd shirts on.

I think its more like 8000/8500 to be fair but thanks to them all the same :clap:

Is that better that all the people in Darlo shirts each sat morning in town centre. Was in certain pubs watching darlo fans gzzling pint after pint of premium lager, shots and jaigar bombs must of spent a fortune. Go to arena bar! Pot calling the kettle