General Opinion

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

D_F_C
Team Supported: Darlington

General Opinion

Post by D_F_C » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Strengths

Defence - Don't look like conceding with Lee and Miller looking good and have conceded from pens
Walshaw - looks decent and hungry for goals

Weaknesses

Goals - although Walshaw looks hungry and we have Smith and Campbell as back ups we don't look like we are ever going to score more than 1

Midfield - From what I've heard and seen so far Kris Taylor and Atkinson look poor. Taylor looked lightweight and a little non-committed at times. Chandler seems to have to try and force the passing game because the midfielders aren't doing it. McCready might be decent this season as a sub.

Crosses - I think the team needs to cross the ball more and i mean from the by-line and not 60 yards deep. Our best chance of the first half was from a cross from the line which Hatch thrives on. (I'm aware that the formation hinders this but i will make my point)

Formation - The 4-1-2-1-2 diamond formation is difficult to play and I'm not convinced the new players know how to play it. I recall Cooper talking about width and the full backs create this, however when we have arnison and brown there it can work because they are up and down full backs with decent attacking ability. Purkiss looks like he can defend but he clearly doesn't want to attack. Greg Taylor is a handy player to have as he fills in positions but I'm not sure what his strongest position is, again although he's better at attacking than purkiss, it still doesn't come naturally and i think therefore think that the formation is flawed. Personally i would revert to 4-4-2 until our natural full backs are fit

Any sensible comments are welcomed

Darlofan97

Re: General Opinion

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:46 pm

D_F_C wrote:Strengths

Defence - Don't look like conceding with Lee and Miller looking good and have conceded from pens
Walshaw - looks decent and hungry for goals

Weaknesses

Goals - although Walshaw looks hungry and we have Smith and Campbell as back ups we don't look like we are ever going to score more than 1

Midfield - From what I've heard and seen so far Kris Taylor and Atkinson look poor. Taylor looked lightweight and a little non-committed at times. Chandler seems to have to try and force the passing game because the midfielders aren't doing it. McCready might be decent this season as a sub.

Crosses - I think the team needs to cross the ball more and i mean from the by-line and not 60 yards deep. Our best chance of the first half was from a cross from the line which Hatch thrives on. (I'm aware that the formation hinders this but i will make my point)

Formation - The 4-1-2-1-2 diamond formation is difficult to play and I'm not convinced the new players know how to play it. I recall Cooper talking about width and the full backs create this, however when we have arnison and brown there it can work because they are up and down full backs with decent attacking ability. Purkiss looks like he can defend but he clearly doesn't want to attack. Greg Taylor is a handy player to have as he fills in positions but I'm not sure what his strongest position is, again although he's better at attacking than purkiss, it still doesn't come naturally and i think therefore think that the formation is flawed. Personally i would revert to 4-4-2 until our natural full backs are fit

Any sensible comments are welcomed
The fact is John Campbell could chip in with 15-20 goals. Cooper just won't start him.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Agree mainly with what has been said, but to make a point about the full backs, both Purkiss and G Taylor have played their part in the impenetrable defence so far.

Whilst some may say we'd be better going forward with Brown and Arnison back, we'd also be a little weaker defending because both Brown and Arnison like to get up the field and can occasionally get caught short.

Also, Purkiss has a reputation of being very good going forward, which is exactly why one or two of suggested him as a potential signing, and exactly why Cooper has been chasing him. Purkiss is actually suited to the formation. Well why hasn't he got forward as much as Arnison would, you might ask? It's down to fitness levels, he's playing catch up. Arnison might also struggle for his first few games too.

Biggest problem for me is the centre midfield hasn't really got to grips with things yet.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

jjmick

Post by jjmick » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:51 pm

D_F_C wrote: Personally i would revert to 4-4-2 until our natural full backs are fit
Who would you play as the wingers?
Darlo till I die!!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:54 pm

jjmick wrote:
D_F_C wrote: Personally i would revert to 4-4-2 until our natural full backs are fit
Who would you play as the wingers?
Rundle and Bowman would be good shouts.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Quakerz wrote:Whilst some may say we'd be better going forward with Brown and Arnison back, we'd also be a little weaker defending because both Brown and Arnison like to get up the field and can occasionally get caught short.

Also, Purkiss has a reputation of being very good going forward, which is exactly why one or two of suggested him as a potential signing, and exactly why Cooper has been chasing him. Purkiss is actually suited to the formation. Well why hasn't he got forward as much as Arnison would, you might ask? It's down to fitness levels, he's playing catch up. Arnison might also struggle for his first few games too.

Biggest problem for me is the centre midfield hasn't really got to grips with things yet.
Agree with all of that Quackers.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 pm

What you said about Campbell not being good enough and that you'd be surprised to see him last the season, I think you're wrong but he's not going to prove it without a run of games.

The fact that Bowman and Smith both got on before him in recent games was a joke.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

jjmick

Post by jjmick » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Campbell and Bowman are about equal in my eyes although Campbell is more of a finisher, and Bowman is more of a dribbler/runner, not that Campbell is slow or anything.
As for Smith, he can swivel.
Darlo till I die!!

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:05 pm

I would not be surprised to see Campbell come into the side shortly, especially if we fire blanks again on Saturday.

I'm just not convinced by him, but would love to see him prove me wrong.

He took a small knock in pre-season (groin, I think), so perhaps it set him back a week or so in training and accounts for Bowman being ahead of him.

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:19 pm

weaknesses... purkiss, he's shite. (IMO)
atkinson, loses the ball and moves break down because of him, which is what we really seem to be missing in verma, he did the little things well and created chances for us.

generally i think our main problem is creativity, we seem very static in midfield and their doesn't seem to be much happening during games. the service to hatch and walshaw is very poor.

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:21 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:I would not be surprised to see Campbell come into the side shortly, especially if we fire blanks again on Saturday.

I'm just not convinced by him, but would love to see him prove me wrong.

He took a small knock in pre-season (groin, I think), so perhaps it set him back a week or so in training and accounts for Bowman being ahead of him.
i don't really know why people don't seem to rate campbell very highly, he hasn't had a decent enough run in the team to prove himself. but when he has played he's looked lively. once again, a striker can do an awful lot if the service from midfield is shite

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:30 pm

Campbell put in a good shift at Wembley, he should be given a chance.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Campbell put in a good shift at Wembley, he should be given a chance.
He was woeful!

feethams

Post by feethams » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:35 am

I was worried when Verma and Terry left. Obviously G.Smith being out as well means of our central midfield unit from last year, which I felt was really strong, only really Chandler remains.

quaker_olly

Post by quaker_olly » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 am

Not a fan of Bowman, hard worker, no instinct. John Campbell has got that killer instinct in the box, must be having a mare in training like cos doesnt look like he's fancied. Campbell and Hatch worked much better last year. Dont get the situation with Tommy, give him his chance, we're still paying his wages, and we've been getting bullied upfront lately even big Hatchys been getting it. Got options in Tommy and Campbell who should be ahead of Bowman by now after missing two sitters in two games?

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:48 am

Its ok going on about the Strikers but midfield is the issue as Q mentioned - Hatch, Walshaw, Campbell, Bowman, even Wright are all ok if they get decent service and crosses into the box. Against Alfreton the full backs and the midfield had plenty of occasions to get the ball in the box and they simply didnt - either dwelling on the ball or playing sideways pass.

Atkinson and K Taylor seem to play an easy ball or want too much time on the ball - McCready showed them how to do it second half by not being afraid to turn in amongst players and running at the defence.

aveda

Post by aveda » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:57 am

KCChiefs wrote:Its ok going on about the Strikers but midfield is the issue as Q mentioned - Hatch, Walshaw, Campbell, Bowman, even Wright are all ok if they get decent service and crosses into the box. Against Alfreton the full backs and the midfield had plenty of occasions to get the ball in the box and they simply didnt - either dwelling on the ball or playing sideways pass.

Atkinson and K Taylor seem to play an easy ball or want too much time on the ball - McCready showed them how to do it second half by not being afraid to turn in amongst players and running at the defence.
Other than Hatch's off target header from Purkess's inch perfect cross and Bowman's appalling miss from a decent cross.

The midfield is the problem, or, to be more specific, K Taylor and Atkinson are the problem. There's no link between defence and attack. McReady has to be in for Atkinson on Saturday.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:30 am

aveda wrote:The midfield is the problem, or, to be more specific, K Taylor and Atkinson are the problem. There's no link between defence and attack. McReady has to be in for Atkinson on Saturday.
This is why we're struggling with the diamond and MBW is struggling to impose himself on games.

The diamond relies on your central 2 midfielders to be good on the ball, to be able to move with it and pick a pass. When the 2 central midfielders are moving they are attracting players towards them which then gives MBW the space to find in behind them, at the moment MBW is getting no space as the midfielders Atkinson and Taylor can't hold the ball for more than a few seconds.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:38 am

Quakerz wrote: Whilst some may say we'd be better going forward with Brown and Arnison back, we'd also be a little weaker defending because both Brown and Arnison like to get up the field and can occasionally get caught short.
So, park a portashitter on the sideline. Sorted :roll:

aveda

Post by aveda » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:28 pm

divas wrote:
aveda wrote:The midfield is the problem, or, to be more specific, K Taylor and Atkinson are the problem. There's no link between defence and attack. McReady has to be in for Atkinson on Saturday.
This is why we're struggling with the diamond and MBW is struggling to impose himself on games.

The diamond relies on your central 2 midfielders to be good on the ball, to be able to move with it and pick a pass. When the 2 central midfielders are moving they are attracting players towards them which then gives MBW the space to find in behind them, at the moment MBW is getting no space as the midfielders Atkinson and Taylor can't hold the ball for more than a few seconds.
Agreed

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:28 pm

Mccready in for atkinson and maybe a change to the strikers as the partnership hasnt currently worked to well. McCready made a massive difference on tuesday so must get a start!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:30 pm

joejaques wrote:
Quakerz wrote: Whilst some may say we'd be better going forward with Brown and Arnison back, we'd also be a little weaker defending because both Brown and Arnison like to get up the field and can occasionally get caught short.
Did I mean they get up the field and then need a shite? No, no I didn't.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:09 pm

i agree with McCready to start next game but I'd want both k taylor and atkinson dropped.

For those people wanting Campbell in who would they drop for him? Cause Hatch has been poor from what I've seen and Walshaw looks lively (I haven't made up my mind before anyone says anything)

From what Quakerz said in one of his posts that Purkiss was brought in because of his attacking ability i am very surprised, he looks panicked everytime he's past the half way line.

Bowman and Rundle wide with Chandler and Bridge Wilkinson in the centre of midfield, takes the responsibility of creativity off the full backs.

anus

Post by anus » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:56 am

Rundle one wing,bowman the other,hatch and walshaw upfront! We've got to stop playing so defence minded and start having a go! I'm getting fed up hearing about this sodding diamond formation! Gregg taylor is coopers love child for this season which is a shame as he's crap! Mcready should start and atkinson shipped back to huddersfield,he's not a patch on mcready. The half time pies are also too expensive!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:00 am

anus wrote:Gregg taylor is coopers love child for this season which is a shame as he's crap!
Wow, I used to think you knew what you were talking about.

PS Michael Smith is Cooper's lovechild, long lost son, cute kid brother, protege, idol, all rolled into one. There are no words left in the dictionary to link Taylor and Cooper.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:04 am

Quakerz wrote:
joejaques wrote:
Did I mean they get up the field and then need a shite? No, no I didn't.
Isn't that the usual meaning of being caught short? Lighten up man. :roll:

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:13 am

anus wrote: Gregg taylor is coopers love child for this season which is a shame as he's crap!
What a load of s***. G Taylor looked pretty poor in his first couple of games last season, (but then that is what happens in a new team, especially at this level!) but since then has looked like our best player. On tuesday night he looked like our only real threat until Mcready came on. Both players like to get the ball down and tak a man on. I lost count of the amount of times G Taylor skinned his man, he looked as if he was playing around with their right back at times.

I think the problem is the lack of options when we are on the ball. We are too static and just wait for the pass rather than running into space or creating a gap for someone else to exploit. As only Mcready and G Taylor are the only two who currently look capable of taking a ball down and passing a man with ball at feet we rely on hoofing it. We need more people beating the man to create space or opposition teams will be happy to come and stick 8 at the back and let us try and pass it through them ( which we dont have the skill to do) or hoof it long. Spread the ball about with quick passes then dribble it through the gaps to drag the defence about then we will be able to create more chances for the forward line, who i think are good enough for this level. Like someone else said earlier in the thread, we are missing the little things that G Smith and Verma did so well.

But then this is the conference so maybe i'm being naive.

ps, i know my spelling and grammar is appauling.