Tin hat time

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

m62exile
Team Supported: Darlington

Tin hat time

Post by m62exile » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:29 pm

Not being quite as suicidal as some after tonight. First half we were crap, and to give Alfreton some credit they didn't give us a second either.

We looked a good bit better second half, McCready was much better than Atkinson, and the experiment of Kris Taylor at left back was cut short, thank god. If we're honest we bossed the second half, they never really mustered a shot and we should have had three or four. No idea what the penalty was for, really didn't see a thing.

We look excellent at the back and won't let many in. Atkinson and Kris Taylor are either going to have to quickly adapt to the pace of this league or are actually as completely useless as they have looked so far. We're missing Brown and Arnison (who is better going forward than Purkiss)

We are big hitters in this league now and can expect teams like Alfreton to treat coming to our place as their cup final. As a crowd we need to try and get beyond about fuckin ten minutes before booing, that'll help as well...

I guarantee we will get to the play offs at least, even playing as bad as that half the time will get us a win more often than not.

Darlo Fonz

Re: Tin hat time

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:33 pm

If we can get the goals going in, we'll be right up there.

But tonight was really bad.
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

sacko_uk

Post by sacko_uk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:34 pm

m62exile wrote: We are big hitters in this league now and can expect teams like Alfreton to treat coming to our place as their cup final. As a crowd we need to try and get beyond about fuckin ten minutes before booing, that'll help as well...

I guarantee we will get to the play offs at least, even playing as bad as that half the time will get us a win more often than not.

Big hitters with a performance like that? 1 win in 4 games and only scoring 2 goals in the process???? I ain't saying the season is over but we won't get anywhere near the play-offs if we don't get going!!!!

The booing at half time and at the end were more than deserved for that showing!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:35 pm

We played poorly. Still should have won though. I've no idea what the penalty was for. The ref and nearside linesman were very poor. The defence was again pretty solid, but we need more creativity. The strikers we've got will score goals if we create enough chances for them, but the midfield isn't working at the moment. Either K Taylor and Atkinson need to adapt to the diamond formation pretty quickly, or Cooper needs to find another system to get the best out of the players we've got. It's not panic stations yet, but it's not been a good start to the season. Maybe Rundle, Brown and Arnison coming back might give us more going forward.

On a positive note I was impressed with McReady when he came on. He looks like he's developing into a decent footballer. He gets the ball down and plays some decent passes, and he can also beat a man.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:44 pm

sacko_uk wrote:
m62exile wrote: We are big hitters in this league now and can expect teams like Alfreton to treat coming to our place as their cup final. As a crowd we need to try and get beyond about fuckin ten minutes before booing, that'll help as well...

Big hitters with a performance like that? 1 win in 4 games and only scoring 2 goals in the process???? I ain't saying the season is over but we won't get anywhere near the play-offs if we don't get going!!!!

The booing at half time and at the end were more than deserved for that showing!
Not saying we were great, but even playing poorly we still should have won 3 or 4 nil on the balance of play and chances. We'll do well away from home this season cos we'll be very good defensively, but we're going to have to really dig in to battle our way through games like tonight because teams will come to kick seven bells out of us like they did tonight and until we get some sort of attacking fluency that's going to be tough for us to break down.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:36 pm

m62exile wrote:Not being quite as suicidal as some after tonight. First half we were crap, and to give Alfreton some credit they didn't give us a second either.

We looked a good bit better second half, McCready was much better than Atkinson, and the experiment of Kris Taylor at left back was cut short, thank god. If we're honest we bossed the second half, they never really mustered a shot and we should have had three or four. No idea what the penalty was for, really didn't see a thing.

We look excellent at the back and won't let many in. Atkinson and Kris Taylor are either going to have to quickly adapt to the pace of this league or are actually as completely useless as they have looked so far. We're missing Brown and Arnison (who is better going forward than Purkiss)

We are big hitters in this league now and can expect teams like Alfreton to treat coming to our place as their cup final. As a crowd we need to try and get beyond about fuckin ten minutes before booing, that'll help as well...

Personally I'll be waiting to see where we are by the end of September to see if this is valid or not.

As it stands this post would suggest you refuse to part with your rose tinted specs.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

AlanSprouts

Post by AlanSprouts » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:10 am

In deference to the title of this thread why was Hitman taken off? Injured? No. Booked and so to avoid a red card? Faintly possible. Or was it because he was SHITE?
I love the big guy, but I do feel he is playing on past reputation at the moment. All he seems to do is hang around on the left wing waiting to head on the big punt up to him. A task he was not up to last night as their fella Wilson had him completely in his pocket. Hitmans aggression in attacking the ball seems to have disappeared in favour of waitng for the ball to come to him or the defender to clatter him and get a free kick.
We were lauded as being a big physical side last season. Last night we were boys against men. Large injection of passion required.
Oh. And if I hear "the better players did not perform" again this season I will thskweem and thskweem until I'm thsick!!

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:45 pm

quaker4life wrote:
m62exile wrote:Not being quite as suicidal as some after tonight. First half we were crap, and to give Alfreton some credit they didn't give us a second either.

Personally I'll be waiting to see where we are by the end of September to see if this is valid or not.

As it stands this post would suggest you refuse to part with your rose tinted specs.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have Rose tinted specs thanks, but i do have 30 odd years of watching DFC, enough not to cry like a fucking baby after four games of the season. We were poor yes, abysmal no.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:45 pm

:clap:

feethams

Post by feethams » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:39 am

AlanSprouts wrote:In deference to the title of this thread why was Hitman taken off? Injured? No. Booked and so to avoid a red card? Faintly possible. Or was it because he was SHITE?
I love the big guy, but I do feel he is playing on past reputation at the moment. All he seems to do is hang around on the left wing waiting to head on the big punt up to him. A task he was not up to last night as their fella Wilson had him completely in his pocket. Hitmans aggression in attacking the ball seems to have disappeared in favour of waitng for the ball to come to him or the defender to clatter him and get a free kick.
We were lauded as being a big physical side last season. Last night we were boys against men. Large injection of passion required.
Oh. And if I hear "the better players did not perform" again this season I will thskweem and thskweem until I'm thsick!!
Against Braintree and Fleetwood I thought Hatch worked really hard, chasing the defence and keeper down, putting pressure on the opposition from playing the ball out on the ground. I actually thought he looked like he had more energy and aggression than last year!