Paul Futcher & Colin Todd

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Paul Futcher & Colin Todd

Post by divas » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:31 am

Both in their time, the most expensive defenders in England, both with abysmal records for Darlo. Lets hope that Todd buggers off as quick as Futcher did. If i remember correctly after Futcher left we brought in Hodgy & Platt who guided us to the play-offs.

Too much to hope for the same to happen again - not with hodgy/platt, but with someone with half a clue!

Norm_D_Ploom

Re: Paul Futcher & Colin Todd

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:31 am

Didn't we have Eddie Kyle for a few games at the end of that season also ?

Did I read that Todd has been using Platty as the keeper coach ?

IF they were to get rid of Todd you wonder who they could attract, I hope that Oldham continue to struggle as I feel the current situation is made for Martin Gray.

Thinking about it I liked Platt when he was in charge.

Anyhow as one of the more level posters on here I was interested to see your view that we should try 352, I seem to rememeber me you & Quakerz coming to the conclusion prior to pre season that that would be his most likely formation due to his interest in Bower, in addition to having Foz & Miller.

I am at the game on Saturday so I am looking forward to seeing Plummer & Chandler as I have heard good reports.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:41 am

Platt was doing the goalkeeping coach early in the season but we've now got Jim Provett in (former 'Artlepools keeper).
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

doc_64

Post by doc_64 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:48 am

i liked platt, he had a 5-a-side team at the quaker center on a sunday morning after he had been sacked, he was a really nice chap, i asked him the burning question about not been able to go up as we could'nt afford it (that was the rumore at the time) after the 96 play off final,

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:55 am

doc_64 wrote:i liked platt, he had a 5-a-side team at the quaker center on a sunday morning after he had been sacked, he was a really nice chap, i asked him the burning question about not been able to go up as we could'nt afford it (that was the rumore at the time) after the 96 play off final,
And he said ..........., come on share the love .

doc_64

Post by doc_64 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:09 am

didnt say anything he just smiled and laughed, didnt denied it though, suppose he was not going to say anything if was still getting paid off by the club

divas

Post by divas » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 am

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:Didn't we have Eddie Kyle for a few games at the end of that season also ?

IF they were to get rid of Todd you wonder who they could attract, I hope that Oldham continue to struggle as I feel the current situation is made for Martin Gray.

Anyhow as one of the more level posters on here I was interested to see your view that we should try 352, I seem to rememeber me you & Quakerz coming to the conclusion prior to pre season that that would be his most likely formation due to his interest in Bower, in addition to having Foz & Miller.

I am at the game on Saturday so I am looking forward to seeing Plummer & Chandler as I have heard good reports.
Yeah Eddie Kyle took over until the end of the season when Futcher got the boot - Platt & Hodgy were put in charge for the start of the new campaign. I really liked Platt too, thought he was very unlucky to lose his job when he did after a bit of a play-off hangover.

Many people never fancied Gray as our next manager, but i always liked the bloke, seemed to do well with the youth/reserves and didnt beat around the bush (which i think upset a few people). From what i heard from him he genuinely cared for the club, which is few and far between these days! As far as i know he's still living in the area at the moment.

5-3-2 is a no brainer for me at the moment, like one of the pools fans said on here, you very rarely win anything with 5-3-2 but you're very rarely relegated either, in my eyes it is a bit of a draconian fomation that was seen a fair bit in the 90s without much success, but at the moment, with the personnel we have and the solidity we need to get into our play i think it could work temporarily.

Someone also mentioned Miller in midfield - whilst its not something that i really agree with, in a 5-3-2 it could work as a temporary measure, and would allow Todd to play 4 of his centre backs, since we are short of central midfielders, problem being a lack of a creative midfielder to support the strikers - Windass doesnt have the legs to do it.

Wing backs would be the only issue in a 5-3-2 but i think Convery works hard enough to play on the right, not sure who could play on the left, thats a problem, Jeff Smith doesnt have the engine to do it IMO, so maybe Josh Gray, or a young loanee left back, i'd say Bennett from Boro, but he's been in the matchday squad regularly.

----------------------Liversedge----------------------

------------Plummer-----Foster-----Bower------------

Convery---------------------------------------J.Gray

-------------------------Miller--------------------------

-----------Chandler-------------G.Smith---------------

--------------------Gall------Dowson------------------

Again though, it would mean chopping and changing - do we really need that at this stage, mind you, we've played 4-4-2 for 2 months now and they players dont look any more comfortable at playing it.
Last edited by divas on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

doc_64

Post by doc_64 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:30 am

if and when todd goes, your my shout to be the next darlo boss divas :thumbup:

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:00 am

Logic to me states that if you're shipping goals at the back, shove another man back there in the hope that more bodies make us harder to break down. Granted it doesn't always work like that, but I'm bemused as to why he's stuck with 4-4-2 for this long.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:12 am

Brian Little won us two championships playing 5-3-2

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:49 am

A change of formation is needed as we're clearly struggling to pick up points even with the basic 4-4-2. We should now be looking to make it as difficult for teams both at the arena and away so in my opinion we should be adopting a 4-5-1 or 5-4-1. Its got to the stage now where in our current situation it should really be a case of building from the back first!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

mobi

Post by mobi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:52 am

divas wrote:
Norm_D_Ploom wrote:Didn't we have Eddie Kyle for a few games at the end of that season also ?

Yeah Eddie Kyle took over until the end of the season when Futcher got the boot - Platt & Hodgy were put in charge for the start of the new campaign. I really liked Platt too, thought he was very unlucky to lose his job when he did after a bit of a play-off hangover.

Many people never fancied Gray as our next manager, but i always liked the bloke, seemed to do well with the youth/reserves and didnt beat around the bush (which i think upset a few people). From what i heard from him he genuinely cared for the club, which is few and far between these days! As far as i know he's still living in the area at the moment.

5-3-2 is a no brainer for me at the moment, like one of the pools fans said on here, you very rarely win anything with 5-3-2 but you're very rarely relegated either, in my eyes it is a bit of a draconian fomation that was seen a fair bit in the 90s without much success, but at the moment, with the personnel we have and the solidity we need to get into our play i think it could work temporarily.

Someone also mentioned Miller in midfield - whilst its not something that i really agree with, in a 5-3-2 it could work as a temporary measure, and would allow Todd to play 4 of his centre backs, since we are short of central midfielders, problem being a lack of a creative midfielder to support the strikers - Windass doesnt have the legs to do it.

Wing backs would be the only issue in a 5-3-2 but i think Convery works hard enough to play on the right, not sure who could play on the left, thats a problem, Jeff Smith doesnt have the engine to do it IMO, so maybe Josh Gray, or a young loanee left back, i'd say Bennett from Boro, but he's been in the matchday squad regularly.

Again though, it would mean chopping and changing - do we really need that at this stage, mind you, we've played 4-4-2 for 2 months now and they players dont look any more comfortable at playing it.
Logic also says that you can play with 10 defenders if you like, but if the individuals aren't good enough it won't make any difference. Every week teams go to Old Trafford Anfield and Stamford Bridge playing 5 at the back, they still get beat because their players aren't good enough to compete.

The fact is we have the poorest squad in League 2 and that is why we are we are bottom of the table. A new manager or a new formation won't change that.

princebishop

Post by princebishop » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:53 am

doc_64 wrote:i liked platt, he had a 5-a-side team at the quaker center on a sunday morning after he had been sacked, he was a really nice chap, i asked him the burning question about not been able to go up as we could'nt afford it (that was the rumore at the time) after the 96 play off final,
A few years back I did an FA Coaching Course with Durham FA. Two coaches undertook our sessions, one being Jim Platt. He was a top bloke, i even took the opportunity to get him to sign the video of us playing at Wembley against Plymouth.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:56 am

mobi wrote:
divas wrote:

Logic also says that you can play with 10 defenders if you like, but if the individuals aren't good enough it won't make any difference. Every week teams go to Old Trafford Anfield and Stamford Bridge playing 5 at the back, they still get beat because their players aren't good enough to compete.

The fact is we have the poorest squad in League 2 and that is why we are we are bottom of the table. A new manager or a new formation won't change that.
But surely, a new formation will at least help? You see it time and time again on Match of the Day, Alan Hansen highlighting the number of men behind the ball and how much harder it becomes for the bigger teams to break them down (take Bolton a few years ago for example).

We know we've got a poor squad, but what's the point in having a poor squad playing a decent squad's formation?

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:58 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:A change of formation is needed as we're clearly struggling to pick up points even with the basic 4-4-2. We should now be looking to make it as difficult for teams both at the arena and away so in my opinion we should be adopting a 4-5-1 or 5-4-1. Its got to the stage now where in our current situation it should really be a case of building from the back first!
The problem with that though mate is that you are sending the team out with a negative mind set, and if , or when, you conceed you are struggling to get anything out of the game.

Away from home, I could agree with you to some extent, but at home to me you have got to go at teams.

352 allows you to defend your area, but still gives you attacking options and crucially gives you the extra man in central midfield which , should, allow you to dictate the flow of the game.

With a 541 I just see us camped on our box defending a series of crosses and eventually one will get through.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:03 pm

mobi wrote:
divas wrote:
Norm_D_Ploom wrote: Every week teams go to Old Trafford Anfield and Stamford Bridge playing 5 at the back, they still get beat because their players aren't good enough to compete.

They don't actually Mobi, as there isn't one side in the PL that doesn't play with a back 4

We have the poorest team at the moment, that doesn't mean it will be the case after 46 games though.

mobi

Post by mobi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote: They don't actually Mobi, as there isn't one side in the PL that doesn't play with a back 4

We have the poorest team at the moment, that doesn't mean it will be the case after 46 games though.
They stick almost every man behind the ball and play with one man up front. Still get beat though, because their players aren't good enough.

My point is that increasing the number of defenders in the line up does not mean you will not get relegated. That suggestion appears ridiculous.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:40 pm

mobi wrote:
Norm_D_Ploom wrote: They don't actually Mobi, as there isn't one side in the PL that doesn't play with a back 4

They stick almost every man behind the ball and play with one man up front. Still get beat though, because their players aren't good enough.

My point is that increasing the number of defenders in the line up does not mean you will not get relegated. That suggestion appears ridiculous.

you're dead right, but when arguably 3 of your best 4 or 5 players are centre halves, one who isnt in the team at the moment, then by adding more defenders, surely it strengthens the team

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:42 pm

I agree, that is what I said in my post to RD 85, if you put 9 men behind the ball you just invite pressure.

I haven't seen us this year so I can't really comment, but, I am very surprised that an ex England defender can't get professional footballers to carry out basic defensive activities, which is the most common complaint at the moment.

He either can't coach, is coaching the wrong things, or they are just not listening, what is the truth ?

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:59 pm

Part of the problem is that we don't seem to defend as an 11. We lose possession and teams are just waltzing through us.
Under Penney we defended from the front and we're very hard to play against whereas this side seems wide open. Players who previously looked very solid such as Miller suddenly look very vulnerable at times. Getting a fully fit Foster playing will surely make a bit of a difference but I agree that a 5-3-2/ 3-5-2 would seem to suit the players we have and might make us more solid.
Not sure how energetic he is or how good he would be at defending, but Jeff Smith actually played better when attacking from left back against Accrington and hit a few superb deliveries in. I think him or Josh Gray would make an ok wing back. Not sure about Convery though - much as I like him - I don't think he covers the ground well enough. I think Arnison might actually be a better bet. Baines and Bower certainly couldn't do it either. I think Convery might do ok as one of a midfield three and I would also like to see Bennett given a run out.