Todays Echo page 3

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

carver30
Team Supported: Darlington

Todays Echo page 3

Post by carver30 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:38 am

Why is Houghton offering the Stadium for £1 rent I thought him and Raj owned it together. Hate the thought of Houghton meddling in the background

Quakerz

Re: Todays Echo page 3

Post by Quakerz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:58 am

I haven't read the article but that is disturbing. Perhaps he is offering that as his deal with Raj is not yet complete.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:01 am

if he owns 50% as he is purported to still do then he will seek rent on his half.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:02 am

Who is going to rent half a stadium.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:05 am

us? maybe he'll only let us play on half a pitch ;)

its been stated that all income from the stadium - matchday and corporate during the week will go to the club, so GH will have to be taking something from somewhere else what will be the point of hanging onto half? its not as if its suddenly going to be worth a massive amount in x years

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:11 am

I have a very uneasy feeling about this....
COME ON DARLO!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:37 am

Don't understand why people are so surprised. Houghton has a financial interest in both stadium and land, can't imagine he won't want to make money out of that interest as soon as possible. Problem is, how much does his 50% stake negate Singh's attempt to make money for himself / club / both? By its nature this partnership between the two isn't straightforward for the club.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:39 am

I thought the arrangement was that Singh would get the club, the stadium and 50% of the land and Houghton would keep the other 50% of the land? Logic would dictate from this that Singh gets the land with the stadium on and GH is left with the field over the road, no?

If this was correct then GH would have no say in stadium rent as he would no longer own it or the land on which it was built?
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:41 am

I thought Raj Singh had bought all of the ground and 50% of the surrounding land. The article in today's Echo would seem to contradict this. Have to agree with others on this thread, that this doesn't sound very good news.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:47 am

mikkyx wrote:I thought the arrangement was that Singh would get the club, the stadium and 50% of the land and Houghton would keep the other 50% of the land? Logic would dictate from this that Singh gets the land with the stadium on and GH is left with the field over the road, no?

If this was correct then GH would have no say in stadium rent as he would no longer own it or the land on which it was built?
The actual land ownership hasn't been properly defined (as far as I'm aware) - the stadium land is 21 acres, how much is the other land? If Singh didn't have ownership of any development land, then he wouldn't have the ability to . . . develop . . . and couldn't, therefore, subsidise the club further. The ownership split just seems to me to be a bit of a bizarre arrangement.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:23 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I thought Raj Singh had bought all of the ground and 50% of the surrounding land. The article in today's Echo would seem to contradict this. Have to agree with others on this thread, that this doesn't sound very good news.
that was the initial report that came out, however when it was later clarified it was stated that they would be 50/50 on both stadium and land.

also im not aware we own any land over the road, the land that has planning permission is situated behind the stadium

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:38 pm

Here's the original story re who will own what
Darlington fans will be shocked to hear that Raj Singh has agreed a deal with Houghton to buy the football club!

A deal between Raj and Houghton seemed to be dead in the water and last week it was announced that moves were being made for George Houghton to come back to the club.

But this afternoon the club has informed the press that Raj Singh will be buying the football club whilst uncovered can confirm a 50/50 deal on the stadium and land has been done between Singh and Houghton.

He today told the Gazette: "I'm delighted to have finally done a deal, which I hope will give the club the stability it needs. The issues of debts have been resolved and the club can move forward.

Colin Todd;s position as manager stands. I have had a chat with him and been very impressed, so that's not a problem. We hope to move forward from here, and have a solid future."

George Houghton told The Northern Echo "I have had my chance to run the football side, but I want to get the other side of the club to keep the club running.

"Raj must prove to me in seven days that he has enough funds to run the place for four years not just one. I like Raj. He is a nice lad who knows his football but the financial package has to be right. " Quite a turn around from GH considering his interview on BBC Tees before the Brentford game when he blamed Raj for virtually everything other than glabal warming.

As usual the administrator adds his own bit of confusion, I mean it wouldn't be normal if he didn't enter a final bit of negativity. He has said the CVA will be put to the creditors next week. He added: "Any deals for assets and involvement are extremely premature. No sale has, as yet, been agreed."

ballybally

Post by ballybally » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I thought Raj Singh had bought all of the ground and 50% of the surrounding land. The article in today's Echo would seem to contradict this. Have to agree with others on this thread, that this doesn't sound very good news.
I'm sure the deal was RS and GH were sharing ownership of the land/stadium 50/50, not splitting the land and having half each. Therefore they both have an interest in the development potential with RS in sole control of the football club.

Both parties are entitled to rent from the club for the use of the stadium which it appears is a nominal sum of £1.