Just seen the goals on Sky...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Just seen the goals on Sky...

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:51 am

Knight at fault yet again with some awful handling
Great equaliser - not really a Darlo goal, and certainly out of keeping with this season's team.
The scorer of the winning goal must have thought he was off-side for a moment, as he was in so much space. Most of us on here would have been able to tuck that away, esp without a defender anywhere near us. I think whowever should have been marking him (Baines??) just about trotted onto the screen as the guy wheeled away to celebrate.

While I'm at it...Todd said last week after Lincoln that there was only Plummer who was playing out of the position he'd been brought in to fill. Now all of a sudden we need some full backs who can get forward and help the attack. Priceless!!
This guy is starting to remind me of John Motson - he seems to see what's actually happenin on the pitch ages after the rest of the viewing public. At this rate he may start to worry about us getting relegated sometime in the Spring. :crazy:

dfc-hardy
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Just seen the goals on Sky...

Post by dfc-hardy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:28 am

ive got to agree every1 was so happy when todd came in now every1 wants him out which is me he3ss useless and i dont rate bains at all hes shite

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:27 pm

One small consolation was Gall's goal was pure class!

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Breedon wrote:One small consolation was Gall's goal was pure class!
Yes - and Knight didn't need to try to stop the 1st. It was going wide but he palmed it to their forward.

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:59 am

From what I'm reading, Knight is making a few catastrophic errors lately.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Knight has made at least one howler in every single game of the season, and all bar 2 of them have resulted in us conceding a goal. He isn't up to first team football at the moment.

Santino

Post by Santino » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm

His inability to do something as simple as catching a ball is worrying.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Is Knight as bad as Paul Newell?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Todd said before the start of the season that he needed two keepers which we have.

Now then, Knight was brought in to be number 1, with the younger Liversedge as back up to give him competition. Surely now is the time for Liversedge (whether or not he is experienced or good enough) to be given his chance and prove himself. In our current position there will be no added pressure on him and if he keeps a clean sheet or earns us a point or 3 then its a bonus.

You never know it could turn out to be like the situation we had with Oakes and Stockdale a couple of seasons ago, we never knew how good a keeper he was until he was given a chance and a run in the first team and turned out to be a gem worth at least £500,000.

I think in my opinion its about time Liversedge was given his chance and hopefully gives Knight a reminder that his performances have to improve in order to keep his 1st team place!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:18 am

I don't think panicking and rushing Liversedge into the team is necessarily a good idea. Fair enough, if Knight is really playing that badly then maybe it's time to give Liversedge a game - he might rise to the occasion. The thing is, what Knight seems to lack (judging by what I've read on here) is confidence. If we do give Liversedge a game and he turns out to be no better, then firstly we've not solved the problem, and secondly it will put a massive dent in Knight's confidence, potentially making it worse... or it might give him a kick up the back-side, different players will respond to these things in different ways, but I just think it might have a negative effect.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:50 am

what knight is lacking is any basic goalkeeping skills from what ive seen - i dont have a clue how he lasted so long at boro?!??!

you talk of confidence - he's conceding week in week out, how is he going to gain confidence - after the clean sheet against lincoln you'd have thought if he's going to improve it'd be after that, but he's still at his calamitous best. its time to take him out of the firing line and let him watch a couple from the bench

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:29 am

Its only last season but alot of people on here who were critical of Browns performances in goal for us were calling for Penney to get Knight in!!!! Now we have him the same people want shot :roll:

Personally, I didnt think Knight was anything special the 1st time we had him. Brown is a much better keeper but even he was prone to the odd shocker! Didnt exactly cover himself in glory against Notts Co at the weekend either.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:56 am

I hate getting on keepers backs, because they need confidence, but at the end of the day he needs to be dropped and we need someone a bit steadier to come in, and maybe shift Knight out on a short 4 week loan to a team a couple of divisions lower to boost his confidence, because he desperately needs it. He made a howler in the first game of the season and from there he hasn't got it back all season. I feel for the lad, he does his best and is very capable, he's pulled off some outstanding saves too this season lets not forget, but we cant have him costing us points. Yes any extra points so far based on our performances would have been ill earned, but maybe the table would make slightly better reading had it not been for some bad errors on Knight's part. If there is a way we can replace him, give him the chance to work on some things and boost his confidence then bring him back into the team later, I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. Obviously its easier said than done.

Loan_Star, I think Brown got a bit of a raw deal too, he was a standard L2 level keeper, solid with the odd shaky moment, but we had an outstanding keeper the previous season (who by the way did very well in his premiership debut yesterday) and its hard for people to accept such a dramatic drop in quality in such a key area. Remember when we went from Andy Collett to Michael Price. Price wasn't bad, but he wasn't in the same league as Collett, and he got stick everytime he did anything wrong, where as say when Collett made a rare howler (Bournemouth away one year springs to mind), he could be forgiven because of so many match saving displays...that 1-1 against Hartlepool remains the best display of goalkeeping I've ever seen in a game of football at any level!

Santino

Post by Santino » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:22 pm

Hawkeye wrote:The thing is, what Knight seems to lack (judging by what I've read on here) is confidence.
No. He makes the most basic of errors on a regular basis.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:27 pm

A poor keeper with an unsettled defence in front of him doesn't make for good things!
COME ON DARLO!

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:24 pm

provett was mentioned as the GK coach the other day - he'd be more useful for us, shame he's under contract at gateshead - wonder if they'd fancy swapping him for knight :lol:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:56 pm

Knight reminds me of Michael Priceless.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Breedon wrote:Price wasn't bad
:lol: