This player tonight deserves his own thread...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

I_were_a_mascot
Team Supported: Darlo

This player tonight deserves his own thread...

Post by I_were_a_mascot » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:28 pm

The right-back No2 - Maybe it was Starosta?

Bloody hell, what a load of out-of-position load of balls he was... didn't take long for Sunderland to realise in the first half that he was useless.

Pie man Reid took him to the cleaners, always getting in behind Starosta... He gifted Sunderland two goals tonight, and albeit a friendly, he should of sorted himself out.

Doesn't deserve that shirt.

I were fuming at his performance.

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: This player tonight deserves his own thread...

Post by loan_star » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Good idea this, lets start getting on the players backs even before the season starts, just to get their confidence at rock bottom.

Face facts, we cant afford the likes of Austin, Purdie & Abbott anymore. We have what we can afford. Slagging them off like this will only make things worse.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Its OK, Arnison will pass his trial so right back problem solved and we'll think of something regarding James' position (well we better do)

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

d5rlo

Post by d5rlo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:35 pm

He had a bad game but the week before at Billingham he played well. Let's wait and see before we judge him.

screaminscull

Post by screaminscull » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:49 pm

He was very poor tonight, but lets give him a chance after all he was snapped up on a 3 year contract which is unheard of these days.
I thought that young centrehalf looked quite decent though. The less said about the return of our old boys , james and convery the better!

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:50 pm

I remember our 2nd season at the Arena, pre season Sam Russell had an absolute shocker in a pre season game against Peterborough, I think we lost 5-0, Sam went on to be our player of the season. You cant critisize based on one bad pre season game. We were outclassed tonight all over the pitch by much better players.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:53 pm

A couple of years ago we'd just signed a player and my friend and I went to a pre-season friendly to see him, along with our other new signings, in action.

He seemed rubbish. Didn't link up play well, off the pace all the time, didn't look good at all. Knowing what the club had to do to get him here, it all seemed a waste as we left the Arena that day.

Two years later, Pawel Abbott (for it was him) would leave for Oldham as one of the best I've ever seen in the hoops.

The moral of this story is: don't judge a player off pre-season friendlies. Especially not those against Premiership opposition. I'm not saying we had 11 Abbotts out there tonight, I'm just saying some of them might surprise you.

It's worth repeating that we should be grateful we were even playing tonight, or next season.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:05 pm

Thing is Mikky, no matter what you saw in Abbott pre season, everybody knew he had a track record and quality, and cream always eventually rises to the top.

You cannot say that about the likes of James, Starosta and Convery.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Quakerz wrote:Thing is Mikky, no matter what you saw in Abbott pre season, everybody knew he had a track record and quality, and cream always eventually rises to the top.

You cannot say that about the likes of James, Starosta and Convery.
A fair point. Let's just hope, all the same, that my point is in some sense proven and we DO see an improvement when the real fun begins in a couple of weeks time.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

RH79

Post by RH79 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:54 am

Starosta and James had poor games but they were up against a much higher level of opposistion than they will face each week in our league. They werent the only ones to play badly

I just hope that they can improve as they get some practice under thier belts and get to know thier team mates a bit.

It is clear that it will be a hard season, but i think we knew that from day one, and we will have to rely on Windass and Foster to provide some leadership and experiance

darlofcgaz

Post by darlofcgaz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:11 am

I think loan_star has hit the nail on the head here.

We really need to realise that we are playing almost a completely different starting 11 this season (let alone squad).
Most teams change 2 maybe 3 players from the previous seasons starting team - we are changing 9 or 10 and we know that most of these players arent up to the standard of Purdie, Austin, Abbot etc.

So im afraid people we really need to get rid of any comparison's to last season because to be honest they are pointless.

We nearly never existed - remember! - So how about we dont start the season off with...

Our new right back is crap
thorpe is no abbot
We miss purdie.... etc

Because lets face it - A darlo finishing 22nd in league 2 this season would be a hell of a result considering 2 months ago we were looking at low non league games if any games at all!!!!

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:37 am

For gods sake, Starosta was up against a winger who plays in the premiership week in week out and has also played for his country, i remember 1 mistake from himwich led to the first goal, other than that he was steady away