Club missing a trick?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Club missing a trick?

Post by Quakerz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:04 pm

http://www.mansfieldtown.net/page/Wembl ... 67,00.html

Scroll to the bottom for all the merchandise, all available from the Mansfield club shop.

Not only have 8,732 been to collect their tickets, they've been stood next to a well stocked club shop too.

We've missed a trick here and our efforts at selling tickets and merchandise are an embarrassment compared to Mansfield.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Thestags
Team Supported: Mansfield

Re: Club missing a trick?

Post by Thestags » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Wembley gnomes coming soon :D !

number_one

Post by number_one » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeh on May 7th, 11 of them.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Quakerz wrote:http://www.mansfieldtown.net/page/Wembl ... 67,00.html

Scroll to the bottom for all the merchandise, all available from the Mansfield club shop.

Not only have 8,732 been to collect their tickets, they've been stood next to a well stocked club shop too.

We've missed a trick here and our efforts at selling tickets and merchandise are an embarrassment compared to Mansfield.
I thought most of us on here - you included - had agreed that selling tickets from the ground was not the way forward?

Thestags
Team Supported: Mansfield

Post by Thestags » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:16 pm

number_one wrote:Yeh on May 7th, 11 of them.
More like 22 of them :lol:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:26 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Quakerz wrote:http://www.mansfieldtown.net/page/Wembl ... 67,00.html

I thought most of us on here - you included - had agreed that selling tickets from the ground was not the way forward?
Because we do not have the staff to cope. I'm not sure I agreed, more like I accepted the situation and justified it to myself.

There's positives and negatives, a big negative being the merchandising opportunity missed.

At the same time those people moaning that they can't go to the ground and get their tickets would have moaned about having to queue (even with increased staff) and having no ticket choice (the only way you can shift volume at a reasonable pace).

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

darlobhoy

Post by darlobhoy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Two observations really

Firstly when you see the range of stuff that Mansfield are selling fans, then I have to admit we've missed an opportunity. Fans excitedly clutching their Wembley tickets are highly likely to part with additional cash for their 'Stags at Wembley' t-shirts, flags etc. By way of contrast we'll part with our cash by the click of a mouse or over the phone and any ticket induced euphoria will have subsided by the time we next step into the Arena clubshop

Having said all that, have you noticed the queue behind the player in the m-peg still - there would diefinitely be people on here having a right good chunter about that.

Bottom line I hate to see our club miss out on revenue!

DL5

Post by DL5 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:39 pm

divas

Post by divas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Good to see we've actually got some now AND it's priced cheaper than Darlo. Getting it into Sainsbury's is also a good move.

I'm not convinced we'll lose out much if at all.

Darlo_Fanatic

Post by Darlo_Fanatic » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:04 pm

£9.50 for a wig fucking hell :shock:
DARLO FANATIC

Supporting DARLO might be a heartache but it's a heartache I chose to have.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:06 pm

BIG MONEY opportunity. Bet those wigs and stuff cost pennies to produce.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

If I played golf that shirt would be awesome.

I think I shall be wearing my Bishop Quaker polo shirt so you can all come forth with your sponsorship for my Kilimanjaro Trek :D

I like the Wembley 2011 t-shirt too.
Although I hope not many people buy the horns. They do my head in.

Vuvuzelas on the other hand....

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Darlo_Fanatic wrote:£9.50 for a wig fucking hell :shock:
Where did you get £9.50 from?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:20 pm

It's what Mansfield are charging for the same wig.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Hilly wrote:
Darlo_Fanatic wrote:£9.50 for a wig fucking hell :shock:
Where did you get £9.50 from?
Mansfield's site. Their prices do seem a bit steep for things you'll be able to buy on Wembley way for half the price. Wonder how many they've sold, how many moaners they've had that the price is too high?!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Mansfield ticket and wig - £39.50

Darlo ticket and wig - £37.40

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Quakerz wrote:It's what Mansfield are charging for the same wig.
Ah right - sorry was looking at our prices.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Quite liking the look of that golfing shirt!

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Bloody hell Quackers - within 1hr 35min of you making the post alerting the club, the stock is up and running.

You must have a hotline :D

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:54 pm

OK, I require ticketmaster to open two fresh blocks for Darlo fans so there is decent choice for all the groups that have held off buying.

Should work.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Quakerz wrote:OK, I require ticketmaster to open two fresh blocks for Darlo fans so there is decent choice for all the groups that have held off buying.

Should work.
While you're at it, have a quick word with Coops and let him know your expectations for next year's squad.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:03 pm

I said we need a new striker yesterday, Cooper already agreed this morning in The Echo. Any requests?

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Tubbs will do nicely thank you.

You might need to have a quick chat with Raj about that though......

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:12 pm

To be honest, we've chosen our way to go and Mansfield chose theirs and at the end of the day you can't please everybody . We get to choose and buy our seats from our own homes, whilst Mansfield have to go to their ground and queue and they don't even get to pick their ticket, they just get the next seat available.
You could be here till Sunday picking the pros and cons of each method. Yes we might have missed an opportunity with the Trophy merchandise but I'm sure everybody who's going if they do want something will ultimately purchase it anyway. Definitely getting a Jester's hat for the day ;)
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

danny_88

Post by danny_88 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Good too see the club getting things sorted ie. wembley merchandise, was up there this morning and they said the flags and scarfs will be ready within the next week. Looks like our ticket sales are steady away, we will be out numbered, I think it would have been a decent idea to sell say 3,000 from the club just so the moaners that are complaining about having to go online or ring up and pay charges to get tickets.
May 7th 2011-Wembley Stadium
Carlsberg FA Trophy Final
Darlington 1-0 Mansfield
CHAMPIONEES CHAMPIONEES OLE OLE OLE

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:56 pm

I think if the club had sold tickets instead, it would have helped to generate more of a Wembley fever - news stories and pictures showing the first fans queueing eager to get their tickets and, hopefully, buying their merchandise. Purely as a ticket-buying exercise, both methods have advantages for different fans - but buying on-line is hardly gonna set the world on fire in terms of publicity.

Having said that, it's impossible to state for certain if it would have generated more ticket sales but my gut feeling is that it would have . . . especially with that accompanying publicity.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 pm

This is Darlo don't forget. Instead of pictures showing people queuing to get tickets all we'd have had is the Echo full of letters moaning that people had to wait in turn and that we didn't have enough operators working etc etc

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:23 pm

"Wembley Ticket Shambles" - I can see it now.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Like I said, either method would suit some and not others . . . I think Mansfield got it right in that their sales generated interest. I can't believe the difference is wholly down to being closer to London.

. . . or the headline might have been "Wembley Ticket Bonanza"

bga

Post by bga » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Re an earlier comment about ticket selling "you cannot please everyone." Well the club could if it had offered them via the club as well! Problem they now have is how to get 4,200 (less those same few who will go to the remaining home games) to visit the club shop or Sainsbury's over the next few weeks. Or will they ask Ticketmaster to take over merchandise sales in case they cannot keep up with demand? Game on Club marketing team!