Ian Miller

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Ian Miller

Post by Quakerz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:44 am

According to an article I've just read on the Echo website, which I cannot be bothered to link to, Ian Miller is under contract for next season.

That's good news.

So the spine of a good team is here next year...

Brown
Taylor
Burn (if we don't sell him)
Miller
Quinn
Chandler
MBW
HITMAN
Campbell
Wright

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Big Tim

Re: Ian Miller

Post by Big Tim » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:48 am

Just need Sammy to sign a new contract now.

moodymonica

Post by moodymonica » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:50 am

Aye, Sammy would be a big step in the right direction.
Interesting to see who will come in this Summer - next season is looking like a good chance of play offs at least

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:56 am

Surely offering Russell a contract is a given?

Think we'll probably offer deals to 3 or 4 of the youth team, no harm in padding the squad out with talented youngsters if you have them. Cheap too.

So that would give us 15 players.

Then I'd resign Gary Smith, John McReady, Michael Smith, try and get Aman Verma, gives us 19.

Not sure, but wouldn't complain if offered new deal....

Arnison (age)
Terry (fitness)
Brough (fitness, although convinced Cooper will stand by him)

The rest I'd bullet, and try and bring in 3 quality signings.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

divas

Post by divas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:04 am

Wonder when Miller signed a new deal. As far as i was aware he signed a two-year deal under Colin Todd at the beginning of last season.

quakerray

Post by quakerray » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:16 am

i think when we get crawley out of this league, wimbledon and maybe kiddy,
with a decent settled squad we should have a great chance next year, unless a miracle happens this year.lol.
and with barnet and stockport maybe coming down,its not gonna be as tough as this year

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:18 am

quakerray wrote:i think when we get crawley out of this league, wimbledon and maybe kiddy,
with a decent settled squad we should have a great chance next year, unless a miracle happens this year.lol.
and with barnet and stockport maybe coming down,its not gonna be as tough as this year
People say that every year but there is always some pissant tinpot club that comes out of nowhere every season having just won the lottery.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:32 am

Quakerz wrote:
quakerray wrote:i think when we get crawley out of this league, wimbledon and maybe kiddy,
People say that every year but there is always some pissant tinpot club that comes out of nowhere every season having just won the lottery.
But not to the level of Crawley though.When they go up it will make it easier to get promoted. They always were going to walk away with the league because of the players they've brought in. Fleetwood have bags of money, but we can compete with them. We can't compete with Crawley.

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:30 am

Quakerz wrote:People say that every year but there is always some pissant tinpot club that comes out of nowhere every season having just won the lottery.
Couple of non-league fans (York and Darlo) in my office have heard the Braintree are seemingly the "next" Crawley with money to burn.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:30 pm

I don't know what Wright is like in training but he cannot be impressing Cooper otherwise he would be playing? Senior works hard in the games I have seen this season and is proven at this level how about offering him a one year contract? Why has Purcell only played 4 games for Northampton (is he injured?) worth getting him back perhaps?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:35 pm

bga wrote:I don't know what Wright is like in training but he cannot be impressing Cooper otherwise he would be playing? Senior works hard in the games I have seen this season and is proven at this level how about offering him a one year contract? Why has Purcell only played 4 games for Northampton (is he injured?) worth getting him back perhaps?
Purcell ruptured his cruciate AND medial ligaments, year out minimum - he might not even play again.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:40 pm

We've got an option on Senior for another year should we wish to take it
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:38 pm

bga wrote:I don't know what Wright is like in training but he cannot be impressing Cooper otherwise he would be playing?
Or perhaps Cooper thinks he isn't worth the wage we're paying him and is therefore planning to try and offload him in the summer (if anyone will take him). It's a shame as the Tommy Wright of old was quality. Not sure what has happened.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:44 pm

I agree he is not what he was, don't know what went wrong. Maybe we should look to offload him and hope to get some money?

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:46 pm

bga wrote:I agree he is not what he was, don't know what went wrong. Maybe we should look to offload him and hope to get some money?
We won't get any money.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Quakerz wrote:Surely offering Russell a contract is a given?

Think we'll probably offer deals to 3 or 4 of the youth team, no harm in padding the squad out with talented youngsters if you have them. Cheap too.

So that would give us 15 players.

Then I'd resign Gary Smith, John McReady, Michael Smith, try and get Aman Verma, gives us 19.

Not sure, but wouldn't complain if offered new deal....

Arnison (age)
Terry (fitness)
Brough (fitness, although convinced Cooper will stand by him)

The rest I'd bullet, and try and bring in 3 quality signings.
Pretty much agree with that Q.

Arnison would be a definite for me as he can play either defence or midfield and the same with Brough (so long as he is fit).

Terry - I would let go.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:05 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
bga wrote:I don't know what Wright is like in training but he cannot be impressing Cooper otherwise he would be playing?
Or perhaps Cooper thinks he isn't worth the wage we're paying him and is therefore planning to try and offload him in the summer (if anyone will take him). It's a shame as the Tommy Wright of old was quality. Not sure what has happened.
If that was the plan then putting him in the shop window would surely be the best way of getting rid.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Put simply, I think Cooper just thinks of him as a similar player to Hatch i.e. a player whose willing to put themselves about a bit, but with Hatchy you've not only got the added bonus that he doesn't know what a lost cause is, but he's a better player with the ball at his feet.

So unless Hatchy gets injured / suspended his time on the pitch is always going to be limited.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:13 pm

divas wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
If that was the plan then putting him in the shop window would surely be the best way of getting rid.
It might work the other way - and scare off everyone else!!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:16 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
It's a shame as the Tommy Wright of old was quality. Not sure what has happened.
I wouldn't say he was ever "quality". He was an OK League 2 striker in a very good team during his first spell and has since gone downhill a bit.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:17 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
divas wrote:
It might work the other way - and scare off everyone else!!
Who wouldn't want someone with more bookings and sendings off than goals?! There'd be plenty of takers for Hatch :P

divas

Post by divas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:20 pm

Hilly wrote:Put simply, I think Cooper just thinks of him as a similar player to Hatch i.e. a player whose willing to put themselves about a bit, but with Hatchy you've not only got the added bonus that he doesn't know what a lost cause is, but he's a better player with the ball at his feet.

So unless Hatchy gets injured / suspended his time on the pitch is always going to be limited.
Yep and i think he sees Michael Smith as the same type of player who is also ahead of Wright at the moment, so in essence you'd need Hatch & Smith out of the picture before Wright gets a chance.

I don't see a future for him - Smith as mentioned can be backup for Hatch next season and it looks as though Campbell will be first choice to play alongside with hopefully another player who can play off a big man to come in (altho i still think Senior could do it) with Modest to go back, Main and Senior released by the looks of it.

A forward unit of Hatch, Campbell, Smith, a new signing to compete with Campbell and either Collins or Marshall promoted from the youth would be a decent 5 to pick from. If we could somehow con someone to take Wright the wages freed up along with that of Senior & Main should enable us to bring in someone very decent

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
It's a shame as the Tommy Wright of old was quality. Not sure what has happened.
I wouldn't say he was ever "quality". He was an OK League 2 striker in a very good team during his first spell and has since gone downhill a bit.
Maybe "quality" was slightly over the top, but he was better than OK (in his final season with us at least).

Jaka-Adu

Post by Jaka-Adu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Tommy was great for us the first time round but this time he hasn't convinced me enough if we are going to have a barebones squad for next season we could do with keeping the players we have at the moment subs, reserves and all.
It ain't over until the Chris Sykes is singing :)

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 pm

At least players that haven't got contracts for next year, will hopefully put maximum effort into the remaining games, to get into the Wembley squad and earn a new contract.