Youth team

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Youth team

Post by divas » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:43 pm

What a great achievment.Does anyone know who they play in the final?

darlomilo

Post by darlomilo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:16 pm

that was the final i think

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:20 pm

Pretty sure its like the JPT, Area final which was today then the main final against someone from down sarf

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:24 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote:Pretty sure its like the JPT, Area final which was today then the main final against someone from down sarf
Talking of Sarf, I believe he'll be at Wembley

divas

Post by divas » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Yeah it was the regional final today.Wonder where the final is played too?

Edit: looks like it's just played at one of the team's stadiums - hopefully the arena

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:02 am

What a fabulous result for Liddle and his band of youngsters. Yes there was a Southern final, I know one of the sides involved was Wycombe but can't remember the other one. Quakersam always seems to know what's going on.
COD that's good to hear about sarf, it'll be good to catch up with him. I wish he'd read his PM that I sent to him about 3 months ago. If your in touch with him, tell him I was asking after him.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:What a fabulous result for Liddle and his band of youngsters. Yes there was a Southern final, I know one of the sides involved was Wycombe but can't remember the other one. Quakersam always seems to know what's going on.
COD that's good to hear about sarf, it'll be good to catch up with him. I wish he'd read his PM that I sent to him about 3 months ago. If your in touch with him, tell him I was asking after him.

Wycombe or Southend. Villa Park has been mentioned.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:10 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:What a fabulous result for Liddle and his band of youngsters. Yes there was a Southern final, I know one of the sides involved was Wycombe but can't remember the other one. Quakersam always seems to know what's going on.

Wycombe or Southend. Villa Park has been mentioned.
I'd love to go down to Villa Park and it would be a fitting reward for all the teams efforts. I wonder if a non-league side has ever won the competition before?

divas

Post by divas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Last year's final between QPR and Stockport was played at Loftus Road. The year before that the final between QPR and Grimsby was also played at Loftus Road.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Wycombe and Southend play this Thursday coming, 7pm kick off
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

RajSinghsDiscoPants

Post by RajSinghsDiscoPants » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:25 pm

Isnt jordan marshall banging in the goals

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Collins, Marshall and midfielder Hopson are all in double figures

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Let's be honest... Our Youth Team are fucking class aren't they?

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Too right they are, another decent batch of players coming through by the looks :thumbup:

divas

Post by divas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Hilly wrote:Let's be honest... Our Youth Team are fucking class aren't they?
They are pretty decent - for a non-league team to be in the final of a competition where teams from L1 down (plus a smattering of Championship, Blackpool & Wigan) compete in it's a really good achievement. If we win our final 4 games too it should see us take second spot in the NE conference which is also a very good achievement given some of the bigger teams in the league - Hull, Rotherham, Chesterfield, Doncaster, Scunthorpe.

However, and this is something i constantly bang on about, without a reserve team to toughen them up we risk jeopardising some of their careers as they are asked to make the jump from youth football to real mens football overnight and fans expect them to perform - we must get promotion next season so whenever a player steps onto the pitch they need to be able to perform - a bit like Dan Burn seems to have this season, keeping a senior pro out with his performances.

The worry that they may not be up to the physicalities despite being technically gifted was further exacerbated by this comment from Craig Liddle after the team's 2-1 defeat by Hartlepool last week.
Craig Liddle wrote:The times we have struggled this season is playing against physical sides and it is something the boys must learn to deal with.

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:18 pm

That'll come with age, naturally, but Curtis was certainly rushed into the first team and depended upon for goals in a struggling side at a young age. Which probably hasn't done him any favours.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Maddo's just said it's a flick of a coin whether we play Wycombe/Southend at home or away. No neutral ground's involved

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 pm

quakersam wrote:Maddo's just said it's a flick of a coin whether we play Wycombe/Southend at home or away. No neutral ground's involved
That's pretty shabby IMHO. :thumbdown:

But it explains recent venues and why we played the northern final at Oldham. You'd have thought they could use a neutral Premiership ground.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:28 pm

The Northern final was actually at Oldham's training ground rather than Boundary Park. Let's face it, the attendances for these games will be tiny anyway so you might as well have it at a ground where there's half a chance if getting one of the teams fans in attendance. At a neutral ground it would be deserted. Fingers crossed it's the arena

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:59 pm

divas wrote:The Northern final was actually at Oldham's training ground rather than Boundary Park. Let's face it, the attendances for these games will be tiny anyway so you might as well have it at a ground where there's half a chance if getting one of the teams fans in attendance. At a neutral ground it would be deserted. Fingers crossed it's the arena
I'm thinking more as a reward for the kids (both teams) getting that far. After all we've qualifiied for Wembley but we ain't going to fill a third of it.

At least the FAYC requires clubs to use their main ground (or training ground if it is also an FL ground - Arsenal).

Here's hoping Lidds calls right!!

bga

Post by bga » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Southern arseholes(!) according to Southend site (See U18 report) they play DONCASTER in the final if they beat Wycombe on Thursday night!