Darlo v York

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vokuhila
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:33 pm

Taylor was stripped off and told to keep warm at the end of halftime with a view to potentially coming on ten minutes into the second half, so I'm not sure it's necessarily true that he isn't trusted.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:10 pm

Very dour game today, York were pretty much as I expected them to be direct and physical launching balls forward to Mark Beck and Clayton Donaldson and I thought overall we dealt with their aerial threat pretty well until Jake Cooper got himself sent off with a reckless tackle, on another day another referee may taken a lenient view but he only has himself to blame.

At the end of the day, as much as I appreciate Alun's frustration, I cannot say I entirely agree with some of the things he said in his post match interview we did have a go in the second half and got a goal back but we were huffing and puffing and York for the most part looked comfortable, it was like watching a re-run of the BPA game a few weeks back at times we were the architects of our own downfall.

On a more positive note we do have a good run of games coming up and we need to start getting points on the board, there can be no excuses against Telford next week we need get that first home win under our belts and kick on from there.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:35 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:10 pm
Very dour game today, York were pretty much as I expected them to be direct and physical launching balls forward to Mark Beck and Clayton Donaldson and I thought overall we dealt with their aerial threat pretty well until Jake Cooper got himself sent off with a reckless tackle, on another day another referee may taken a lenient view but he only has himself to blame.

At the end of the day, as much as I appreciate Alun's frustration, I cannot say I entirely agree with some of the things he said in his post match interview we did have a go in the second half and got a goal back but we were huffing and puffing and York for the most part looked comfortable, it was like watching a re-run of the BPA game a few weeks back at times we were the architects of our own downfall.

On a more positive note we do have a good run of games coming up and we need to start getting points on the board, there can be no excuses against Telford next week we need get that first home win under our belts and kick on from there.
Unfortunately 3 defeats in 3 home league games speaks for itself. With 2 home games coming up against teams near the bottom of the league we really could do with a couple of wins to move us up the table. Will AA come under pressure if we spawn these opportunities in winnable games? I think he might so lets hope we can get at least 4 points from the next 2 games.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:20 am

jjljks wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:13 pm
AndyPark wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:05 pm
That referee was absolutely shocking. Spoilt the game.
Absolutely, even the lino on seating stand side was shocking, shouting "man on" & almost coaching York ....
I see/ hear that at a lot of non league games up and down the pyramid.

I always thought the officials job was to apply the res, not give out coaching tips to players.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:23 am

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:20 pm
I was in the tin shed so quite a long way away, but although there wasn’t much force in the tackle Coopers tackle was very high, looked thigh area. I tried to argue against it at first and I need to see it again, but it I think the red card was fair. Cooper didn’t argue either. It would definitely be given in the prem. Penalty looked like Purver hauled Beck down. He might have gone easily, but which striker wouldn’t, so again probably the right decision.

In all honesty I don’t think the referee had that bad a match and I’m usually the first to have a go at them.

As to the game, we were very good first 15 minutes, let them dictate for the next 10 and they scored a very scrappy goal. Sending off changed things, but we kept battling to the end and York fans must have been embarrassed at the end when they were keeping the ball in the corner against 10 men.
I was pretty much similar to this. I'd defo have to see Cooper's again, but it looked high. Didn't see any york fans or staff or indeed players really call for a red. The penalty looked a clear one, whilst I have no doubt that Beck will have done what he did all game (back into our defender and hold onto them). Some refs let him get away with it, some don't.

Think we were marginally the better team until we conceded. It was a disappointing goal to concede. Didn't think much to york and they won't be troubling the top 3/4 in my opinion.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:40 am

Funny how we all see things, because I was much more annoyed with the penalty, which looked at worst 50/50 and Beck was all over anyone he went near all day, and the referee did absolutely nothing to curb it (I think he did give a single free kick for backing in late in the game, to a very sarcastic cheer from the crowd).

I thought the red looked like a red to be honest, but I’d be keen to watch it again. I thought it was commendable that we got ourselves back in it with 10 men, and the second half demonstrated there was some fight in us. The first half was dreadful, and the referee… jees. He was just one of the ones that wanted to make it all about him.

York are a funny team. As we all know, they should probably walk away with the league, but I thought they weren’t as impressive as they might be, and they didn’t turn the screw at all in the second half and kill the game off.

As a weird aside, I noticed York were sponsored by York Gin on the back of their shirts… I thought alcohol sponsorship was banned? It was even on the kids replicas…

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:48 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:49 pm
Neither Taylor or Beeden are ready for this level of football which means Armstrong will again be scratting around for a loan centre half to cover Coopers suspension .
Lose to Telford next week and the timer should be starting.Tick tock Alun.
Telford were soundly beaten at home by Brackley on Saturday and were booed off at the end. They are struggling badly and have injuries and suspensions. What could possibly go wrong? :silent:

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:53 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Emdubya wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:49 pm
Neither Taylor or Beeden are ready for this level of football which means Armstrong will again be scratting around for a loan centre half to cover Coopers suspension .
Lose to Telford next week and the timer should be starting.Tick tock Alun.
Telford were soundly beaten at home by Brackley on Saturday and were booed off at the end. They are struggling badly and have injuries and suspensions. What could possibly go wrong? :silent:
We have injuries and suspensions as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:08 pm

What I did notice yesterday, was the number of advertising boards that have disappeared from last season.

Hopefully we can get those filled back up & fast - didn’t look the greatest to see patches all round the ground.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:51 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:40 am
I thought the red looked like a red to be honest, but I’d be keen to watch it again.
If we are going to appeal it we will have to do it on basis that it wasn't very forceful. I am not convinced it will be successful, don't think the camera angle particularly helps.

On camera it looks a pretty poor challenge. The ball is coming down Cooper's left side but he spins round and then almost donkey kicks his right leg and makes contact above the right knee of the York City player with his studs.

No idea why he tries to make the challenge with his right foot, that is what it all stems from.

I actually think watching it the stud marks on the York player has potentially swayed the decision as well, as it would have given a pretty clear perspective on where the point of contact was.

The penalty is pretty inconclusive from the main footage you can't see a pull on Beck, just looks like he falls over but you can't actually see much of what is going on. Not sure if the go pro's will be able to pick it up better

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:27 pm

Wasn't convinced at the time the challenge deserved a red card, a yellow at best. However there is another angle from in front of the tinshed that would be more like what the referee saw. And it doesn't look particularly great. From that angle I can see why it has been given as a red. I'm not sure its worth appealing to be honest.

As for the penalty I'm not sure it was one. I've looked at the footage at few times now and I think that Beck is backing in. The angle behind the goal almost makes it look he jumps backwards into our player. To be honest it all moot as York had other chances in the first half and in the second half, while we did get ourselves back into contention, they also had a few other openings as well.

I still don't think the referee has had a great game mind.

October is looking like a big month now. Particularly the Telford game. We play okay in patches at times, albeit often when we're already behind by a goal or two. Yes no one has stuffed us yet but at some point we have to start winning some games.

Usual time and place for the highlights where you can make your own mind up about the key moments.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:46 pm

Two of the last three refs we've had have been erratic to say the least and the performance of Mr Aspinall had a major bearing on how it panned out yesterday. The ironic cheers when Beck was finally pulled up for grabbing a handful of a Darlo player's shirt for the 100th time summed it up aside from the dodgy penalty and red card with most expecting yellow at the very worst.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:50 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:08 pm
What I did notice yesterday, was the number of advertising boards that have disappeared from last season.

Hopefully we can get those filled back up & fast - didn’t look the greatest to see patches all round the ground.
A sign of the times unfortunately, the fall out of the pandemic has yet to be seen but the empty advertising boards at BM are a sign of things to come with the furlough scheme ending on Thursday there's bound to be more difficult days ahead for businesses up and down the country.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:38 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:50 pm
AndyPark wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:08 pm

A sign of the times unfortunately, the fall out of the pandemic has yet to be seen but the empty advertising boards at BM are a sign of things to come with the furlough scheme ending on Thursday there's bound to be more difficult days ahead for businesses up and down the country.
A sign of the times very funny 😂

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:39 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:38 pm
A sign of the times very funny 😂
Unfortunately not as funny as the sign George Reynolds put up outside the Arena asking Jan Mazurk to stop letting her dog crap in the car park.

Speaking of signs though, if you have a little spare time you should watch this video about AFC Fylde...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAd46RuExeQ

It's quite eye opening and the sign at 20:45 is rather nauseating :sick:

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:24 pm

Just watched the highlights and Cooper goes in knee high and catches him. Not much chance of that being over-turned I'm afraid. Three match ban I guess? I know darlofansradio are going to be pretty biased but their description of it appears to bear no relationship with reality. I believed we'd suffered a great injustice on Saturday, but I don't think so at all after watching it. Please guys, try and be a little bit impartial in the commentary, those of us listening only have your word to go on!

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:31 pm

Not sure its anything to do with being biased and more to do with the fact that they only get one chance to look at it and are on the other side of the pitch. I thought it was a yellow card at the time but the angle from the tinshed end makes it look pretty bad.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:47 am

TFDM wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:31 pm
Not sure its anything to do with being biased and more to do with the fact that they only get one chance to look at it
Haha does that condition / allowance only apply to radio commentators :lol:

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:54 am

Maybe ask Nathan Cartman for his opinion of Mr Aspinall....

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/ ... hy-replay/

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 am

Seen the challenge, Cooper goes to shield the ball but has his studs up. It does not look good and there is not a chance in hell it will get overturned even though you can tell there is no intent. I take it will be a 3 game ban.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:54 am

Having watched the highlights I have to say it was a clumsy challenge by Cooper and I agree with others on here that an appeal would be unlikely to succeed. Having said that I don’t think it was nasty or done with excessive force. A yellow card and a stern warning would probably have been sufficient but the referee decided to send him off.
The penalty does not look quite so clear on a second viewing as I thought at the time. Looks to me like Beck has wised up a bit since he left us. He used to concede a lot of free kicks as he looked big and awkward but looks like he has learned to use his body to win decisions. It looked 50/50 for the penalty as he was leaning on Purver who did have hands on Beck. On another day those 2 big decisions may have gone our way and the outcome may well have been different.
We need to put it behind us and take the positives into the Telford game.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:13 am

I think most refs would have given a yellow for Cooper's clumsy challenge and most fans and players were taken aback when he produced the red. There would be a lot of red cards in a lot of games if players were sent off in these kind of circumstances every time. The penalty should never have been given and if you look at the nearest York player when Beck went down, which was Donaldson, he doesn't react at all and doesn't claim a penalty. The clear trip on Hatfield as he drove towards the box in the first half, with nothing given, along with several other strange decisions added to the impression that Mr Aspinall didn't do a good job in his handling of the game.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:52 am

Those highlights sort of vindicated my judgment I reckon. It's a red card for me, but the penalty is incredibly generous as Beck is doing every bit as much leaning back into the player (and he has his arms wrapped around the defender... how he continually is allowed to do this, I do not know).

The only thing with the challenge is you can maybe argue it's an honest attempt that he gets wrong, but when you're going in that high, I'd argue you probably deserve it. I do generally agree with the sentiment that on a lot of occasions, that challenge would go unpunished or receive a yellow at this level, and inconsistency is part of the problem.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 am

H1987 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:52 am
Those highlights sort of vindicated my judgment I reckon. It's a red card for me, but the penalty is incredibly generous as Beck is doing every bit as much leaning back into the player (and he has his arms wrapped around the defender... how he continually is allowed to do this, I do not know).

The only thing with the challenge is you can maybe argue it's an honest attempt that he gets wrong, but when you're going in that high, I'd argue you probably deserve it. I do generally agree with the sentiment that on a lot of occasions, that challenge would go unpunished or receive a yellow at this level, and inconsistency is part of the problem.
Can't disagree with this, Beck clearly is going back into the defender, but the defender was a bit naïve and made it easy for the referee to give a penalty by having his right arm around Beck's chest. If it wasn't for the arm around the chest, I think the foul would have been given the other way.

the referee looking at this would see more easily the defenders arm around Beck, then any holding by Beck given the angles of the players , the ball and the referee

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:13 am

H1987 wrote:

I'm sure many still remember that awful challenge on Leon Scott in the playoff game against Ramsbottom at Bishop. It was a late, brutal, over-the-ball, full-of-intent challenge that smashed into his ankle and put him on crutches. The ref awarded a yellow card and it was on another planet in terms of serious foul play compared to the Cooper incident.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 am

spen666 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 am
H1987 wrote:

Can't disagree with this, Beck clearly is going back into the defender, but the defender was a bit naïve and made it easy for the referee to give a penalty by having his right arm around Beck's chest. If it wasn't for the arm around the chest, I think the foul would have been given the other way.

the referee looking at this would see more easily the defenders arm around Beck, then any holding by Beck given the angles of the players , the ball and the referee
You'd think that, but he gave one foul against him for doing it the entire game. It really was quite shambolic as it was blatant. I also don't really see *why* Beck needs to do that, as he has a size advantage against most anyway. Part of me wonders if this is how he has ended up playing at this level again because on ability alone he should be in the football league, but I wonder if league referees are a bit savvier to this behaviour.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:39 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:13 am
H1987 wrote:

I'm sure many still remember that awful challenge on Leon Scott in the playoff game against Ramsbottom at Bishop. It was a late, brutal, over-the-ball, full-of-intent challenge that smashed into his ankle and put him on crutches. The ref awarded a yellow card and it was on another planet in terms of serious foul play compared to the Cooper incident.
That was a particularly egregious example, but it happens all the time. If Cooper should be off for a high challenge, apply it every week. Most of the time, it just isn't. In terms of silliness, the Wheatley 'tackle' (I use the term advisedly) was arguably more dangerous, but fortunately didn't make contact. Cooper was more clumsy, but by the laws of the game and also for the potential that a high challenge can cause serious injury, it's hard to argue with the red.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:18 am

TFDM wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:31 pm
Not sure its anything to do with being biased and more to do with the fact that they only get one chance to look at it and are on the other side of the pitch. I thought it was a yellow card at the time but the angle from the tinshed end makes it look pretty bad.
Do they not have access to the TV footage? They certainly sounded like they had more than one chance to see it as they talked us through it as they watched it again on the replay and from different angles.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:50 am

I'm not sure how it could be argued that wasn't a red card. He tackled him on his knee and clearly with enough force for the player to show the ref the stud marks. If similar challenges have gone unpunished then the ref got it wrong, this ref did not.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:07 pm

H1987 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 am
Part of me wonders if this is how he has ended up playing at this level again because on ability alone he should be in the football league, but I wonder if league referees are a bit savvier to this behaviour.
It's much simpler than that. He just doesn't have the ability to play in the football league.