Darlington v Hereford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, botrash, charlie, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:46 am

I've had time to reflect on Saturday's performance. Yes the first half was poor, against a very spirited Hereford team, who are obviously fighting for their lives. Our keeper somehow managed to let an average shot past him. Second half started badly with some dreadful defending and a tap in for them. In the past that would have been it, but we started to play some really good football and deservedly came back to get a share of the points. On the way out, I was walking next to two Boro fans who had come to see us play and they were really impressed with our fightback and they thought we played some great football for our level and they thoroughly enjoyed the game. On a side note thought the away support was woeful and why on earth the game was segregated I'll never know.

Emdubya
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by Emdubya » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:32 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I've had time to reflect on Saturday's performance. Yes the first half was poor, against a very spirited Hereford team, who are obviously fighting for their lives. Our keeper somehow managed to let an average shot past him. Second half started badly with some dreadful defending and a tap in for them. In the past that would have been it, but we started to play some really good football and deservedly came back to get a share of the points. On the way out, I was walking next to two Boro fans who had come to see us play and they were really impressed with our fightback and they thought we played some great football for our level and they thoroughly enjoyed the game. On a side note thought the away support was woeful and why on earth the game was segregated I'll never know.
On your side note Pete,they brought more than Blyth did and that’s only 40 odd miles away.Hardly “woefull “.

carlodarlo
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by carlodarlo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:47 am

Interesting that the Boro fans thought we played some nice stuff and enjoyed it. I brought along my brother who hasn't seen us since the early days at the arena and he said the same on the way out. Maybe we as fans are still spoilt from 3 promotions in the last 5 years and still expect to turn up and batter every team we come up against?
For what its worth I thought we were slow, predictable and incredibly frustrating until we went 2-0 down so maybe I am still in that bracket as well!

shawry
Posts: 2576
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by shawry » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:58 am

carlodarlo wrote:Interesting that the Boro fans thought we played some nice stuff and enjoyed it. I brought along my brother who hasn't seen us since the early days at the arena and he said the same on the way out. Maybe we as fans are still spoilt from 3 promotions in the last 5 years and still expect to turn up and batter every team we come up against?
For what its worth I thought we were slow, predictable and incredibly frustrating until we went 2-0 down so maybe I am still in that bracket as well!
Thought we were ok to be honest, they've recently got draws against sides above us, we were unlucky to go in st half time behind as after going behind we made some decent chances with the keeper saving a couple and us missing. 2nd half we started slowly but after conceding again we absolutely controlled the game and thought we should have had a penalty, and we missed another sitter.

Disappointed not to win, but happy enough with most of the game.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

LoidLucan
Posts: 2681
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 am

From the highlights the first goal was extremely poor goalkeeping to allow such a tame shot to hit the net and Hughes' slip to allow them in for the second was also poor. Their keeper should have done better with Syers' goal and the ref was wrong to rule out Saunders' goal for a foul on the keeper. Syers didn't foul him. As regards the Trotman penalty shout, it looked like their player pulled out of the challenge and Trotman went over. I think that's why Trotman didn't really protest. It was an astonishing feat by Ainge to somehow manage to get that header round the post instead of into the net for what would have been the winner. It really did look easier to score than miss.
And Hereford really were as bad as I first thought and it's quite amazing that we somehow managed to hand them a two-goal lead. Our keeper was largely a spectator.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4472
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:49 am

shawry wrote:
carlodarlo wrote:Interesting that the Boro fans thought we played some nice stuff and enjoyed it. I brought along my brother who hasn't seen us since the early days at the arena and he said the same on the way out. Maybe we as fans are still spoilt from 3 promotions in the last 5 years and still expect to turn up and batter every team we come up against?
For what its worth I thought we were slow, predictable and incredibly frustrating until we went 2-0 down so maybe I am still in that bracket as well!
Thought we were ok to be honest, they've recently got draws against sides above us,
Stop with this utter nonsense.

"Hereford have drawn recently so a draw isn't a bad result." What kind of argument is that? Is that really the bar of your expectation, drawing against sides in the bottom three? We've drawn recently against sides above us. Yet we're only three points off relegation.

They haven't won a league game since August. They have the worst form in the league. Their new manager hasn't won a league game yet. They're in the relegation zone. They played terribly. And yet we nearly lost. This was a crap result, no doubt about it.

I genuinely think some fans want Wright to stay purely on the basis he's not a long ball merchant. It's madness. When you look at his record since taking over, even with budget cuts factored in, you can't escape the fact he's taken us backwards. He's just a mediocre manager.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 4472
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 am

50 years wrote:Your right again, I meant "genuine comment" not "genuine concern" from previous experience.
So you were making personal jibe. Excellent to have cleared that up.

Thought you disapproved of them. More a case of you can give it but can't take it, we can conclude.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

AndyPark
Posts: 11402
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by AndyPark » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:06 am

Seen a lot on Twitter over the weekend, I didn't go to the game as I was in Grimsby.

But seems to me, that whatever TW does. He can't possibly win. I agree it's frustrating to be having so many draws, but we need to look at the bigger picture and understand we are no longer a big fish in a little pond. Things won’t always go the way we want it too.

Also seen a lot of talk about the ‘atmosphere’ being crap at home? Well from point of view, if people want to see a better atmosphere. Join in when people attempt to create one, don’t be divided as everyone knows there’s a divide between groups of singers in the Tin Shed.
We see on numerous occasions that at away games, we can be really noisy and not shut up. Why can’t that be the same at BM?

I still believe things will pick up and we as fans need to keep positive. 6 unbeaten is decent, nothing else. People will always look for more negatives than positives.
18/19 Season:
LDWDLDLWDLLWWWDDDDLLLLWDWWLWDLLDWDLDLLWLLWWWLD

*includes all cup games*

en passant
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by en passant » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:14 am

AndyPark wrote:Seen a lot on Twitter over the weekend, I didn't go to the game as I was in Grimsby.

But seems to me, that whatever TW does. He can't possibly win. I agree it's frustrating to be having so many draws, but we need to look at the bigger picture and understand we are no longer a big fish in a little pond. Things won’t always go the way we want it too.

Also seen a lot of talk about the ‘atmosphere’ being crap at home? Well from point of view, if people want to see a better atmosphere. Join in when people attempt to create one, don’t be divided as everyone knows there’s a divide between groups of singers in the Tin Shed.
We see on numerous occasions that at away games, we can be really noisy and not shut up. Why can’t that be the same at BM?

I still believe things will pick up and we as fans need to keep positive. 6 unbeaten is decent, nothing else. People will always look for more negatives than positives.
Quite right. And have to say that in the first half there did seem to be enough noise and drum banging to give the team encouragement, so I do think the fans were doing their bit

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:24 am

I wasn't at the game Saturday, but from the highlights we should have won, both keepers made blunders, and I'm sure the Hereford defender should claim an assist for our second goal. The Ben O'Hanlon miss was bad but I'm afraid the Ainge miss was up their with the worst I have seen- maybe it hit the mark on his head from the other week.
I don't think there is any criticism in terms of effort and quality for this level of football be we need to pick up the intensity from the get go rather than waiting until we conceded. TW has made us into a team thats difficult to be beat but we have drawn far to many games which is going to get us nowhere in this league.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Wiseacre
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:47 pm

My recent tweet about 'daft to go for the play-offs' was really about protecting oneself from disappointment. My personal view is that the team is better than it's position but not quite promotion material. I accept the point about what do you say to the players to inspire them if you don't aim high ? I think those lads are great for turning out week after week and trying as hard as they do but falling short of the playoffs shouldn't be such a big deal. It's a very big step up to the next level and, much as I've come to like him, could TW make the leap ? I know it's great to go up and then see what we can do - the stuff we turned on at Bradford hinted at real ability but I've known a couple of one season promotions when we were a league team and it can be a demoralising experience coming straight back down. It must be terrible for the players. Finish as high as we can, which is higher than we are now, consolidate and have a longer term plan. I do think we're getting there and while 'safety first' isn't going to inspire much, we need to pause for breath and stop giving ourselves unnecessary reasons to feel disappointed.

real_darlo_85
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:00 pm

Wiseacre wrote:My recent tweet about 'daft to go for the play-offs' was really about protecting oneself from disappointment. My personal view is that the team is better than it's position but not quite promotion material. I accept the point about what do you say to the players to inspire them if you don't aim high ? I think those lads are great for turning out week after week and trying as hard as they do but falling short of the playoffs shouldn't be such a big deal. It's a very big step up to the next level and, much as I've come to like him, could TW make the leap ? I know it's great to go up and then see what we can do - the stuff we turned on at Bradford hinted at real ability but I've known a couple of one season promotions when we were a league team and it can be a demoralising experience coming straight back down. It must be terrible for the players. Finish as high as we can, which is higher than we are now, consolidate and have a longer term plan. I do think we're getting there and while 'safety first' isn't going to inspire much, we need to pause for breath and stop giving ourselves unnecessary reasons to feel disappointed.

That's not unreasonable if expectations are managed and communicated in a measured manner. I know that there is a real need to keep interest in the club and it's progress at the minimum of it's current level to just maintain consolidation. I also understand that you need to sound positive to try and rouse extra support and interest. However, it doesn't help when the manager and board state that this squad is better than last season and good enough for a play off position. It only takes a third of the season for this to unravel and TW and DJ are currently looking foolish for their comments. Yes, the season isn't over, it's not even December yet and there is still the chance things can improve but this would have to be significant if we are to break the top 7.

Based on comments from preseason, not making the play offs or even top 10 comfortably as a bare minimum would be in my book an underachievement/failure because these were the confident aims made at the beginning. You can also throw in the lack of yet another cup run which has resulted in a budget review. It's all well and good reassessing aims but the question is how and why is TW failing to achieve the initial targets set?
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Not sure you can throw lack of a cup run in. That's about luck of the draw as much as anything. We did lose to the current league leaders you know.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4472
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:22 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Not sure you can throw lack of a cup run in. That's about luck of the draw as much as anything. We did lose to the current league leaders you know.
Although we've been more than a match for Bradford PA in both our encounters this season. We certainly can compete with them, as we've demonstrated, but lack that killer instinct to finish games off. And there is general frustration at our repeated failure to win any game in a cup competition.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6001
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by loan_star » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Blame for the failure to win in the cups also lies at the door of one of our most successful managers too. Hopefully Wright can break that hoodoo this week.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3826
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:34 pm

The whole club feels a little gloomy at present, and I’m picking up the vibe that people feel we won’t be able to afford to bring in any new players at any time this season.

If this turns out to be the case, then it’s a sad state of affairs, especially up front where we’re relying on a young H.S and an unfit S.A.

I mean, is this it?
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6001
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by loan_star » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:37 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:The whole club feels a little gloomy at present, and I’m picking up the vibe that people feel we won’t be able to afford to bring in any new players at any time this season.

If this turns out to be the case, then it’s a sad state of affairs, especially up front where we’re relying on a young H.S and an unfit S.A.

I mean, is this it?
Not necessarily, we just have to make sure that if we do bring anyone in then they have to be right for us and not just to placate the fans who are demanding new blood. Apparently Dom Collins is no longer at the club so that may give us some leeway too.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 am

Interesting, where did you hear that? The club hasn't said anything.
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

AndyPark
Posts: 11402
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:02 am

I wouldn't be shocked whatsoever if he went.
18/19 Season:
LDWDLDLWDLLWWWDDDDLLLLWDWWLWDLLDWDLDLLWLLWWWLD

*includes all cup games*

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:17 am

I'd be surprised if anybody wanted him at the moment, with him being crocked. Perhaps the club has come to some sort of arrangement to pay him off and get him off the payroll.

H1987
Posts: 1032
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 am

Thank christ if that is true. The guy hasn't been properly fit the entire time he's been here. There's a point where we just have to move on. Perhaps we've reached a financial settlement.

Now for Caton, and we've just got to get some new faces in, whoever they are. The squad is wafer, wafer thin.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Absolutely agree about Collins, what an absolute waste of money he has been. He's a bang average, perma-crock.

Him and Caton are the last on Gray era wages - I'd put my house on their combined wage being a grand a week.

It's an absolute pisser to be paying those two week in week out for not being in the squad, when we've had to put 16 year olds on the bench.

The Styche money has hopefully shored up the finances along with the commercial guy hopefully increasing income.

Getting those two off the wage bill would leave an available amount to get in two new, contributing, good quality players - but that's only if they walk away with nowt.

If we have to pay them off we probably haven't gained much, and probably not opened up a space in this year's budget for someone new.
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3826
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Him and Caton are the last on Gray era wages - I'd put my house on their combined wage being a grand a week.
A previous Chairman might have made a couple of early morning visits :|
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlogramps
Posts: 4472
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Yep, Collins going, if true, is best for all involved. Hasn't worked out for him here and it seems there's clearly an issue between him and Wright.

He didn't seem too bad in his first few games. But then has been permanently carrying injuries for 15 months.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1450
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:01 pm

And hopefully we'll not give out lengthy contracts. We used to have probationary periods at work and then permanent job offers if you were up to it?!

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5296
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote: Getting those two off the wage bill would leave an available amount to get in two new, contributing, good quality players - but that's only if they walk away with nowt.
Don't expect either to walk away form the club without a payment.

We won't see any major benefit until next season.

H1987
Posts: 1032
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:08 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:And hopefully we'll not give out lengthy contracts. We used to have probationary periods at work and then permanent job offers if you were up to it?!
That also goes the other way though; if you only give out short contracts and someone looks very good, at our level, chances are you lose them for next to nothing. As a club, we need to make money on player sales if we want to progress upwards.

It's all about making the right calls, and having the right person passing the judgement on when to hand a long term deal out. Even at the time, I don't recall either Collins nor Caton being considered automatic starters, or promising young prospects. They were both essentially squad players that we chucked way too much money at.

shawry
Posts: 2576
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by shawry » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:46 pm

H1987 wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:And hopefully we'll not give out lengthy contracts. We used to have probationary periods at work and then permanent job offers if you were up to it?!
That also goes the other way though; if you only give out short contracts and someone looks very good, at our level, chances are you lose them for next to nothing. As a club, we need to make money on player sales if we want to progress upwards.

It's all about making the right calls, and having the right person passing the judgement on when to hand a long term deal out. Even at the time, I don't recall either Collins nor Caton being considered automatic starters, or promising young prospects. They were both essentially squad players that we chucked way too much money at.
Think Gray brought both in to start, caton was supposed to be cartmans replacement I think.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:21 am

Lengths of contracts can be a double edged sword. If we uncover a gem, then they can leave us for nowt. I guess it's up to the manager to give longer contracts to the good prospects and shorter contracts to players who haven't proved their ability all the time. No doubt in the past players wouldn't have joined us if they'd only been offered a shorter contract.

eddie-rowles
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:31 am

H1987 wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:And hopefully we'll not give out lengthy contracts. We used to have probationary periods at work and then permanent job offers if you were up to it?!
That also goes the other way though; if you only give out short contracts and someone looks very good, at our level, chances are you lose them for next to nothing. As a club, we need to make money on player sales if we want to progress upwards.

It's all about making the right calls, and having the right person passing the judgement on when to hand a long term deal out. Even at the time, I don't recall either Collins nor Caton being considered automatic starters, or promising young prospects. They were both essentially squad players that we chucked way too much money at.
I'm more concerned about the three boxes of gloves we bought for Caton that are sitting unused in the changing rooms think we should give them to a charity over xmas

Post Reply