Brackley V Darlington FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlobaz79
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley V Darlington FC

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:26 pm

Just back, the least disappointed after a 3-0 defeat I ever have been. Styche and Tommo were big misses of course but I felt we dominated possession for much of the game against a very organised team. A huge amount of good football was played with Turnbull dictating the play. How the ref didn't send off their number six, I don't know! Mitchell Glover looked very handy in the few minutes he was on. Lots to work on...One negative would be Mills. I went to the bin twice in the second half and I moved more than he did. If we continue to play like that (with the additions of Styche and Tommo) we will be more than alright.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:Just back, the least disappointed after a 3-0 defeat I ever have been. Styche and Tommo were big misses of course but I felt we dominated possession for much of the game against a very organised team. A huge amount of good football was played with Turnbull dictating the play. How the ref didn't send off their number six, I don't know! Mitchell Glover looked very handy in the few minutes he was on. Lots to work on...One negative would be Mills. I went to the bin twice in the second half and I moved more than he did. If we continue to play like that (with the additions of Styche and Tommo) we will be more than alright.
If you think mills was a disappointment then Gillies was an abomination. No fight, passion or real skill on show. Weak, pulled out of challenges and lingered on the ball far too long. If we can sell him to shields generate a fee and free up enough wage budget to bring in a second striker we will be a much better squad for it.

Still think Harvey needs to be playing first team football at a lower level for now. He's just not ready for this level of football yet. His pace causes problems but he's too reactive in his running for now. Needs to be anticipating the ball into the box more.

As other will no doubt say, they are no slouches in this division. Very solid, very well organised and a few quality players dotted through the side that make the difference. They just very effectively went about their business today and took their chances when they came.

We had lots of possession, tried to move the ball about well. But the players that were missing in Thompson and Styche just meant that we had no cutting edge. Syers tried his best but we created barely anything all game. Almost was inevitable when the penalty came from good work from Syers, Mitchell and Mills. That we missed. Just not to be today. Get the players back in against Kiddy at home and let's try and finish February on a high going into March where there are lots of winable games.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 pm

With Styche, Caton and Thompson playing I think we would have got something today. Agree with JE 93 about Gillies. At least Mills got a penalty and put some balls in. Thompson and Caton would provide assists, but Gillies has lost the ability to score and put in a decent ball.
TW said he wanted to give Harvey Saunders a chance to lead the line as he feels he's seen an improvement recently and wanted to see if this could transform into a game. It's difficult to know whether to stick or twist with him. Has he had enough games in his career now where we would expect to see more return from him, or do we need to be patient and trust he'll come good given more exposure and experience? Tough to know really.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:not a good day at the office
Pete, you’ll be pleased to hear that the next fundraising pitch is to buy you a new cliche ;)

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:27 pm

biccynana wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:not a good day at the office
Pete, you’ll be pleased to hear that the next fundraising pitch is to buy you a new cliche ;)
He said on another thread that non of our players will get in the NLN team of the week.. FFS stating the obvious he is as bad as NEIL from Norway

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Can anyone shed any light on TW’s comments in his post-match interview about refs’ attitudes this season? “The way they’re talking to players is disgusting”, he said. What’s all that about? Anyone aware of any particular incidents?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:46 pm

biccynana wrote:Can anyone shed any light on TW’s comments in his post-match interview about refs’ attitudes this season? “The way they’re talking to players is disgusting”, he said. What’s all that about? Anyone aware of any particular incidents?
I presume he's heard managers in the premiership say it so felt that it was something a manager should say.

I'm quite surprised that Caton is now considered a key player having been sidelined and ridiculed for so long, although there's definitely a correlation between games he's played and points we've clocked up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:35 pm

Thought we done ok today and in parts played quite well, Brackley were very functional and experienced.

We might have give them something to worry about with Styche & Thompson available but we had no real threat without them two.

Score line probably flattered them but they did enough to deserve the win. Shame about a number of other results, looks like it could be battle to the end of the season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:16 am

Having Thommo and Styche back next week, plus possibly Caton being fit again, we should give Kidderminster a really tough game. They won't have much confidence either after losing yesterday at home to Harrogate.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:56 am

Not sure I agree with Tommy’s comments about referees. Managers and players treat refs with no respect. They are the pantomime villains usually. Sometimes I think refs should follow the best ever refs example. Get in their face a bit and act with authority. They never crossed molina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 am

loan_star wrote:3-0 a harsh scoreline, wasn’t that sort of game.
Not sure how their centre half stayed on in the first half for bringing Saunders down when he was through on goal. Red card any day of the week and only got a yellow. Ref bottled it.
The first half we played well, they got a goal against the run of play imo and then the sending off that wasnt.Disgraceful decision, it was right in front of me, he had to go but the ref was a bottler as you say.

They deserved to win but should never have had 11 on the pitch.

We had nothing to worry them up front so was always going to be hard.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:10 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Wasn't expecting to get anything out of today's game, even less so when the teamsheet revealed no Styche.

Let's get Kidderminster out the way and see if we can pick up at least a point. 8/10 of our remaining matches then come against teams in the bottom half.

Caton, Thompson & Styche to return gives reason to be optimistic.
Agree, we are in a much better position than I thought we would be going into March, just keep in touch and then March/April are the months to try and pull away.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:33 am

We almost have to forget about how poor the refs are in this league and not get dejected about it. The standard is truly appalling and it could be argued that 3 points went slipping due to 2 poor refereeing decisions - Thompson in the last game meaning he was suspended for today and then today they should have played with 10 men for most of the game. They are getting the major decisions wrong. It's OK the ref apologising for Thompson's first yellow card last week but then if he had this in mind why did he give him a controversial second yellow? He should have therefore held back.
It's an insult to the skill of the players in this high quality league they they don't get given refs to match. However, we'll just end up getting very frustrated every game. A number of managers in their interviews in this league won't even discuss refs any more as they just assume that they will have made poor decisions and won't use it as an excuse any more. TW and AW have said that they discuss decision making with the players assuming that refs will get decisions wrong e.g. Not to go in hard on a tackle and to block the ball instead as if a player goes to ground then a ref will give a foul even if then all was won. I assume there isn't much accountability for refs in this league and so we sadly just have to get on with it, despite how unfair this is.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 am

I don’t think we can complain too much, we’re constantly given penalties and often end up playing against 10 men

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:43 am

I’d rather the decision went against us today, when we’re without key men, than on another day when it costs us the points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 am

Beano wrote:I’d rather the decision went against us today, when we’re without key men, than on another day when it costs us the points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If they had gone down to ten men after ten minutes it may well have been a different story.It may well have cost us points anyway.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:20 pm

On the point of the decisions of referees. In the first half the ref was having quite a lot of aggro from the Brackley no 2 who had gone in hard a couple of times and the seemed to want to argue quite aggressively with the officials. Might have been booked for this which would have seen him sent off for the tackle on Mills for the penalty.

On the match in general, like others I thought we played with a great deal of confidence and looked pretty relaxed and in control in the first half, despite losing a very unfortunate first goal. Had it not been for that it still seemed possible to get away with a point. The second Brackley goal, another ball rebounding in the penalty area, really killed the game off as we carried minimal threat up front. Harvey worked really hard and nearly had something from an attempted lob. In the first half he made lots of runs and wanted a ball to run onto but was rarely set free by our midfield who seemed to want to try and get around the back of the defence by going down the wings. Some very good performances from Turnbull, O'Hanlon, Wheatley and Trotman. Also thought Glover played really well when he got a late chance. Given that the game was against the best defence in the league it was going to be tough, but trying to score without two of our main goal threats did make it near impossible despite the good general play.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:52 pm

Thought we played OK without ever really looking threatening.

Yesterday did expose our reliance on Styche massively. We just didn't have anywhere near the same level of threat. Keeping Styche fit for the rest of the season.

However as no one expected anything from yesterday, it was probably the best game for him to miss.

I did think their defender should have been sent off for his foul on Saunders, but such is life. It happened and we move on.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:41 pm

en passant wrote:On the point of the decisions of referees. In the first half the ref was having quite a lot of aggro from the Brackley no 2 who had gone in hard a couple of times and the seemed to want to argue quite aggressively with the officials. Might have been booked for this which would have seen him sent off for the tackle on Mills for the penalty.
He actually told the ref to f**k off after a foul on Mills in the first half, not an immediate reaction to the decision but after the ref had explained why it was a foul. Technically a straight red but there is no consistency.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:03 pm

If the refs sent off every player who swore at them, there'd be no one left.

Not saying it's right. Obviously the players shouldn't be doing it at all. But it happens at just about every game.

That's why I disagree with Wright's comments, mentioned earlier in the thread. Players aren't exactly saints themselves.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:12 pm

Whitey constantly swears at refs and lines persons and seems to get away with it nearly all the time.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Darlogramps wrote:If the refs sent off every player who swore at them, there'd be no one left.

Not saying it's right. Obviously the players shouldn't be doing it at all. But it happens at just about every game.

That's why I disagree with Wright's comments, mentioned earlier in the thread. Players aren't exactly saints themselves.
Players would quickly learn to stop though if they got sent off.

If do it as soon as they crowd the ref.
Brandish an invisible card etc

Essentially I'd stop anyone apart from the captain approaching the ref.

I'd also have the ref able to overturn yellow cards after a match if they decide it was incorrect.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:44 pm

For me it was the way it was said, it wasn't just out of frustration or industrial language, it was a f**k off in an aggressive manner.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm

shawry wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:If the refs sent off every player who swore at them, there'd be no one left.

Players would quickly learn to stop though if they got sent off.

If do it as soon as they crowd the ref.
Brandish an invisible card etc

Essentially I'd stop anyone apart from the captain approaching the ref.

I'd also have the ref able to overturn yellow cards after a match if they decide it was incorrect.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I don't disagree with anything you've said. But it won't happen because the FA are too spineless.

Imagine if a ref sent off someone like Paul Pogba for swearing. He'd get vilified from Mourinho et al and abuse from fans.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:34 pm

loan_star wrote:For me it was the way it was said, it wasn't just out of frustration or industrial language, it was a f**k off in an aggressive manner.
For me telling the referee to f*** off isn't acceptable in any context.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Think the ref needs to use some common sense. According to the footie laws it's a cautionable or sending off offence! You can clearly see it on telly but rarely see any action. Maybe one of our refs on here can shed a bit of light?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:For me it was the way it was said, it wasn't just out of frustration or industrial language, it was a f**k off in an aggressive manner.
I agree. I don't mind a FFS in frustration not directed at anyone but to use the f word directed towards a ref as a form of abuse rather than just what we would class as industrial language is a different matter. He might as well have called him a c**t.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:50 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
I agree. I don't mind a FFS in frustration not directed at anyone but to use the f word directed towards a ref as a form of abuse rather than just what we would class as industrial language is a different matter. He might as well have called him a c**t.
There are two things I like about rugby. One is the fact that the refs are mic’d up so you can hear their interaction with players and other officials and listen to their thought processes when giving decisions. The other is the respect shown to them.

https://youtu.be/43AdWFSXhgs?t=252

https://youtu.be/lVoatlO8AKs?t=107

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 am

Bicyanna is spot on about rugby & referees. They also have the power to impose +10 metres if any player other than a captain questions a decision. Also the sin bin is an immediate penalty so the team against whom there was an infringement gets the benefit of playing against 10 men, not the following fixture when penalty points totted up enough for a suspension.
Again it is the FA who just refuse to acknowledge the problems in the game & do anything about it. There is a shortage of referees because the FA doesn't address these issues, consequently the standard of refereeing is falling in a vicious downward spiral.
The only positive development in recent times is that more female match officials are being appointed. They seem to be improving matters as they are under more scrutiny. :thumbup:

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 am

jjljks wrote:Bicyanna is spot on about rugby & referees. They also have the power to impose +10 metres if any player other than a captain questions a decision. Also the sin bin is an immediate penalty so the team against whom there was an infringement gets the benefit of playing against 10 men, not the following fixture when penalty points totted up enough for a suspension.
Again it is the FA who just refuse to acknowledge the problems in the game & do anything about it. There is a shortage of referees because the FA doesn't address these issues, consequently the standard of refereeing is falling in a vicious downward spiral.
The only positive development in recent times is that more female match officials are being appointed. They seem to be improving matters as they are under more scrutiny. :thumbup:

The power in rugby extends even further. Failure to retreat immediately 10 metres after the award of a penalty can result in referee moving the ball 10 m forward. This can be repeated. I have (in very distant past) played in games where referee moved ball 50 metres forward because ill discipolined opposition repeatedly failed to retreat

I agree with everything you say about referees and the problems