Weak Link

Threads that got the whole forum ROFLing

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

davidcurrieclass
Team Supported: Darlington

Weak Link

Post by davidcurrieclass » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Team has played well all season but think one player who has deteriated is purewal, I just dont see what he offers his goals have dried up, his first touch is poor and he always seems to be then spending his time trying to get the ball under control

al_quaker

Re: Weak Link

Post by al_quaker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:36 pm

His goals have dried up a bit , but he put a brilliant shift in up front today. His movement helps create space for others too.

davidcurrieclass

Post by davidcurrieclass » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:40 pm

wasn'y trying too be too critical just thinking of areas we gonna have to build on for next season

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:43 pm

I still expect him to be a key player next season, although I do think MG will look to bring in another striker.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:48 pm

When we play without Purewal we lack that player who can win headers and keep the ball up the other end.

He is not the most naturally gifted footballer but he does offer something, most his goals are tap-ins but he gets there.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:52 pm

davidcurrieclass wrote:Team has played well all season but think one player who has deteriated is purewal, I just dont see what he offers his goals have dried up, his first touch is poor and he always seems to be then spending his time trying to get the ball under control
I agree I think he was very poor today. How he stopped on for 90 minutes is beyond me. Just never looked interested. Maybe he was tired? Noticed all the darlo playes had short sleeved shirts on he had one with a thirmal underneath. Just don't rate the lad not enougth effort for me.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:54 pm

He's clearly better playing on the left but he's doing a job for the team up front. I expect MG to bring another forward to the club in the summer and Amar will get more chance to play left wing

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:57 pm

divas wrote:He's clearly better playing on the left but he's doing a job for the team up front. I expect MG to bring another forward to the club in the summer and Amar will get more chance to play left wing
He played in the left today 1st half he was so out of place it was untrue! If he is anatural left winger get rid now! We are a far better team with tommo on the wing,

divas

Post by divas » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Mikedfc wrote:
divas wrote:He's clearly better playing on the left but he's doing a job for the team up front. I expect MG to bring another forward to the club in the summer and Amar will get more chance to play left wing
He played in the left today 1st half he was so out of place it was untrue! If he is anatural left winger get rid now! We are a far better team with tommo on the wing,
Given he's just signed a new deal you'll more than likely be out of luck

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Mikedfc wrote:
davidcurrieclass wrote:Team has played well all season but think one player who has deteriated is purewal, I just dont see what he offers his goals have dried up, his first touch is poor and he always seems to be then spending his time trying to get the ball under control
I agree I think he was very poor today. How he stopped on for 90 minutes is beyond me. Just never looked interested. Maybe he was tired? Noticed all the darlo playes had short sleeved shirts on he had one with a thirmal underneath. Just don't rate the lad not enougth effort for me.
You know nothing about football if you thought that he didn't look interested and didn't put enough effort in today.

What point are you trying to make with the thermals comment?

We're more balanced as a team with him up top. He certainly hasn't fluked the 21 goals he's scored this season. He is off the boil at the moments but he'll be back.
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:00 pm

Young Hedley offers more on the wing than Purewal. Then again Thompson is better out wide than up front with his back to goal.

We definitely need another striker for next season.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mikedfc wrote:
You know nothing about football if you thought that he didn't look interested and didn't put enough effort in today.

What point are you trying to make with the thermals comment?

We're more balanced as a team with him up top. He certainly hasn't fluked the 21 goals he's scored this season. He is off the boil at the moments but he'll be back.
We've been that good this season that no one has been as to have a customary moan, knowing how our fans love a good moan it must be torture.

I just worry about when we come to a point where we're not winning every game by several points, there'll be hell on - loads of pent up twisting.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:10 pm

divas wrote:
Mikedfc wrote:
Where you at the same game? He offered nothing on the left wing and as per the thread is our weak link. We are a far better side with thommo on the wing and him up front. I would replace Amar with Stevie J up front, ST has more energy, movement and enthusiasm.

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Mikedfc wrote:
You Sir, are showing yourself up with these comments! Here we have a team that is steamrollering the league, a player who has over 20 league goals this season and still people want to pick fault just to satisfy their own self importance! Hows about just for once we all sit back and think........do you know we have a fookin good team and I'm going to thank these part time, hard working players for the effort they have put in this season.

Is that seriously too much to ask?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:17 pm

Mikedfc wrote:
divas wrote:
Mikedfc wrote:
Where you at the same game? He offered nothing on the left wing and as per the thread is our weak link. We are a far better side with thommo on the wing and him up front. I would replace Amar with Stevie J up front, ST has more energy, movement and enthusiasm.
And when Dowson and Johnson both get out muscled and win nothing in the air who are you going to turn to?

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:22 pm

I agree we have a good team. I'm stating Amuar does nothing for me. 21 goals is a decent return however with a 130 odd goals you would expect a striker to get at Least 30 od of these. He just doesn't do it for me. Prefer we keep Dowson (he grafts his heart out and earns his goals) and find an out and goal scorer to complemente him.

alfonse
Team Supported: footy

Post by alfonse » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:23 pm

sign johnson from guisborough scores loads of goals as left winger or forward

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Dont want to sound harsh but wouldnt like to think Amar and Stevie J were near the first 11 next season.

Would love Dowson, Thompson, Moffat and Farrell to be our 4 forwards.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:25 pm

I thought his work in the air recently has been much better, he does tend to tie his feet up in a knot in front of goal but as I said last week we need him in the squad to have the option

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:26 pm

When have we banged it long? Whe have beat teams by playing quality football all season long.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Mikedfc wrote:When have we banged it long? Whe have beat teams by playing quality football all season long.
Quite often, today included. Purewal needs to be better than he has been recently but he is our only option with some height.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Mikedfc wrote:When have we banged it long? Whe have beat teams by playing quality football all season long.
:shock:

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Mikedfc wrote:I agree we have a good team. I'm stating Amuar does nothing for me. 21 goals is a decent return however with a 130 odd goals you would expect a striker to get at Least 30 od of these. He just doesn't do it for me. Prefer we keep Dowson (he grafts his heart out and earns his goals) and find an out and goal scorer to complemente him.
None of our strikers have hit 30 though, so your argument is flawed. That's the beauty of this team we aren't reliant on one player.

I seriously don't get this 'we need a goal scorer' bollocks, we have scored 130 odd goals as stated, the whole team are goal scorers and for me that's a much better place to be!

Stan_Darlo

Post by Stan_Darlo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:33 pm

KCChiefs wrote:Dont want to sound harsh but wouldnt like to think Amar and Stevie J were near the first 11 next season.

Would love Dowson, Thompson, Moffat and Farrell to be our 4 forwards.
Haha what more can Johnson do?! Scores just about every game he comes on. As for Amar i find him frustrating at times, but he's scored as many goals as Dowson and tends to be the "out" ball when we are under pressure, only forward we have who can really compete in the air.

Personally I would like to see us add 1 striker if possible, someone who's a bit more prolific in front of goal. If we were going into next season with the current bunch i would have no problems.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:38 pm

Thompson isn't best as a striker and I reckon Johnson could end up more heavily involved with the reserve team next year. He is 32 in June after all.

Based on this we need 1 maybe 2 strikers in in the summer giving us Dowson, Purewal, Moffat/Andy Johnson...rumour from my mate who works with Johnson is that he's told the lads at work he's signed for us for next season...he did say this ages ago mind, he's still adamant but I'm not so sure!

TDS

Post by TDS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:38 pm

I get where the OP is coming from because his touch has never been good enough, it stifles attacks in one fell swoop. His finishing isn't to the standard i'd expect either, BUT he obviously is good enough in this league. I'm hoping Moffatt is lined up to come in as in all reality we need a more overall player to rise through the leagues.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm

BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:
Mikedfc wrote:I agree we have a good team. I'm stating Amuar does nothing for me. 21 goals is a decent return however with a 130 odd goals you would expect a striker to get at Least 30 od of these. He just doesn't do it for me. Prefer we keep Dowson (he grafts his heart out and earns his goals) and find an out and goal scorer to complemente him.
None of our strikers have hit 30 though, so your argument is flawed. That's the beauty of this team we aren't reliant on one player.

I seriously don't get this 'we need a goal scorer' bollocks, we have scored 130 odd goals as stated, the whole team are goal scorers and for me that's a much better place to be!
Why is it flawed? Lets be hounest we miss loads of chances and this only gets forgotten about due to the high volume of goals we score we win 3 nil when it should be 6 etc. Dowson is a good foil for an out and out goal scorer. As we move up the leagues (hopefuly) chances will have to be took. Amuar just doesn't do that for me. Two left feet at times.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:52 pm

Only a Darlo fan would moan about only winning 3-0!

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:55 pm

loan_star wrote:Only a Darlo fan would moan about only winning 3-0!
I'm a darlo fan that alone gives me the right to moan when I like.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm not surprised at these comments on Purewal given I've heard them from a few people at games as well.

Personally I think they are completely wrong. For me Amar has been one of our most consistent performers this season, whether up front or on the wing, and a key part of our success. His hold up play is excellent, with good movement plus pace and strong in the air. When he hasn't played or been subbed its quickly obvious how much we miss him.

I'm delighted that Martin Gray has got him tied down to a two year deal and fully expect him to be a key player for us next season.