Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Threads covering important moments in Darlo's past, be they big games, big days or big events.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Rise of the Hatters
Team Supported: Luton Town

Re: Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Post by Rise of the Hatters » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:37 am

Luton fan here.

Like you we have been in admin 3 times in a short space of time, so we know exactly how it feels. We were lucky in that we now have decent owners who are running the club along strict finances and as such are now stable.

I hope you have the same luck and we all wish you well for the future. As long as it's part of you, your club can never die. Darlo signifies to me everything that real football and real fans stand for.

It's not about the Lampards and Rooneys of the world, it's not about the overseas businessman in his private box at Old Trafford and it certainly isn't about the idiots who sit in their armchairs every Saturday watching the football on sky.

It's about us. The ones who go to the games and stand on the terraces, home and away singing and cheering for the club that represents our community. :clap:

Good Luck.

P.S.

I still have nightmares over that 5-1...The trauma.

truewhite15
Team Supported: Bolton

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:56 am

I hope Barrow realise that their game on Saturday isn't just now merely Barrow vs Darlington. It's Barrow vs Darlington and football fans up and down the country. Every single neutral will be behind you.

redm
Team Supported: Hearts

Post by redm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:42 am

MKDarlo, you made me cry. That's one amazing post and it pretty much sums up exactly what it means to be a football fan, no matter who you support or what part of the country you're from. Very moving indeed and you deserve all the credit in the world for raising awareness of Darlington's plight.

Us Hearts fans have our own issues and worries to contend with at the moment so your post really does hit home in a big way. I can only begin to imagine how you're all feeling right now and it goes without saying that I hope some sort of last minute solution appears. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for your result this weekend and will have fingers and toes crossed for you. Sing your hearts out.

Posted the link to this thread on Jambos Kickback and you've already had about 1300 views there.
http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php ... your-club/

I hope your message continues to spread :)

ycfcnomad
Team Supported: York City

Post by ycfcnomad » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:48 am

York City Fan here,

Just felt the need to say what a fantastic OP.
I've been to Darlington for away games on many occasions at both the old and new grounds and as York fan we have also had our financial issues so have some idea what you guys are going through.

I think the OP sums up perfectly how all us fans feel about our clubs and what being a true supporter is all about. I sincerely hope that Saturday isn't your final game. You will be sorely missed and I for one will miss making the short journey north to visit you guys.

We already have plans for a bucket collection on Saturday away at Lincoln and I have also made a small donation.

I think I speak for most YCFC fans when I say I hope your club survives this and I look forward to many more away days at Darlo.

GreySeal
Team Supported: Chester

Post by GreySeal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:20 am

Another Chester fan here

Obviously we all know what you are going through, and the range of emotions being expressed here are so similar to those we went through two years ago.

I was so impressed back then with the number of people from clubs all over the country who wrote in support, even Wrexham fans - and the messages you are getting are similar. It is important for fans to have such solidarity, with football in the state that it's currently in then almost any club in the lower leagues could be next to go the same way.

For us, being liquidated and reforming was the best thing that could ever have happened. We clung on to the hopes that a new buyer would step in and keep the team together in the conference, but had that happened I'm sure it would have been only a matter of time, and probably only a short time, before we found ourselves in exactly the same position again.

Fortunately, we had a supporters group who were mobilised quickly, acted quickly and from our disappearance from the league in January managed to put together a club capable of being accepted back into the league structure by June. If the worst happens you may find yourself faced with a very similar time scale. It is possible, though certainly not easy.

Since then, over the last 18 months Chester have gone from strength to strength. I know at present it is easy playing the big fish in the small pool - and I am realistic about the financial pressures that will begin to show once we reach the BSN or BSP. But at least we are all enjoying the journey, the crowds are bigger than they have been for years, the mood around the ground is better than it has been for years and the competition and camaraderie in the Evo Stik, even if not the standard of play, is as good, if not better than further up the league

Of course, you face many different problems. We were so lucky in being able to stay at the Deva. We were able to gain admittance, somewhat controversially, to the Evo Stik 1N rather than starting as it was originally intended in the NW Counties league, , but it speeded up the process of climbing back up the leagues. Still had we been in the NW Counties I think we would have still gained the support and momentum and enjoyed the building of the club and the football on the journey.

So, I am thinking of Darlington over the next few weeks. Obviously I hope that you can be successful in rescuing the present club in some way, it seems to be working for Wrexham at the moment and that should certainly be your first option; but if all else fails then I really hope the fans will stay and rally round whatever phoenix can rise from the flames. The easy option is to drift away and adopt a new team, but the real fans will support their town whatever and where-ever and enjoy the new challenges and new experiences you will meet along the way.

oldhamfan
Team Supported: Oldham/Darlington

Post by oldhamfan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:47 am

On a day for Oldham Athletic that could be our best in recent years when we take on Liverpool at Anfield in the FA cup one of our fans has posted a link to this on our message board.

I must say it took me back to when we went into Admin and the thought of losing our club was all too real and this post has really hit home for some of our fans how lucky we are.

Having read the original post it sums up all the feelings and emotions I felt at our time of need and thank god there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

As soon as the Mrs wakes up with my login for paypal I will donate lol.

All the very best I really mean that, I am going to Barrow on Saturday after reading this.
KEEP THE FAITH.

MrGloverGlover
Team Supported: Everton

Post by MrGloverGlover » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:10 am

Absolutely brilliant OP, and some stunning responses. Bravo to you, MKDarlo. I'm glad to see the power of social media has once again been used for the good. I stumbled upon this post after a tweet from The Football Ramble, which is the UK's biggest football podcast - I'm certain you'll get a mention on their next episode.

I've sent the link on to my best mate down in London, an up-and-coming PR star, so hopefully he can do some good with it. I actually work at Orange in Darlo myself - when I get to the office this morning I'm going to send the link to our CEO. Orange employ 1000+ people in Darlington and they might be interested in strengthening their links with the community (and picking up some splendid PR) with this somehow. One can but hope!

Keep spreading the word everybody!

-Ben

Dazyork
Team Supported: York

Post by Dazyork » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:37 am

York fan here

One of the best posts i have ever read,hope you manage to come through this as i enjoy my trips north.Good luck at Barrow tomorrow.

All being well see you on the 28th.

1Superlidds
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by 1Superlidds » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:40 am

this should have been emblazened as posters on every shop/business window in town

This thread is exactly why we have to make the Fleetwood game go ahead and be a Fans Day even if we gotta bring it forward a week
click on Facebook PIMM Productions for the latest on Darlo Till I Die

Haavard9

Post by Haavard9 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:08 am

Heartbreaking stuff

Im a norwegian Spurs supporter and i was really moved by this thread. The football in the lower leagues is what makes the greatness of the game. Always when im abroad to watch my Tottenham i try to put in a game in the lower leagues. Im not comfortable with the way the economy is destroying the football in the lower divisions. Somethings has to be done and the initiative has to come from the Premier League clubs. If the money is just concentrated in PL they will kill this sport in the long run.

Hope you guys get a win at Barrow and that a good soul can help you out of this crisis.

Good luck to you all and to your beloved Darlington :clap:

Haavard

crewegail
Team Supported: Crewe

Post by crewegail » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:14 am

Crewe Alex fan here.

Amazing OP - one that should be compulsory reading for any owner, director or chairman of any team in the country.

All the best and I sincerely hope that Barrow will not be your last game.

Southport Red
Team Supported: Bristol City

Post by Southport Red » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:33 am

Another Bristol City fan here.

Just wanted to reiterate the point my colleague made earlier. In 1982 some of us travelled across the Severn Bridge in what was almost certainly our last ever game. As the players left the pitch at the end, we all thought "well that's it".

As you will have noticed, thirty years later, we're still here.

So my message to all you Darlo fans is a simple one. Never give up and never stop believing.

I feel for you, as you have seen from this thread, all the rivalry and banter is just nonsense, all REAL football fans feel for you.

Good luck Darlo, never stop believing

Darlo Devil

Post by Darlo Devil » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 am

One word sums this post up. FANTASTIC

Darlo Till I Die . . . . !

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:46 am

Reading these comments from fans of other clubs on here is overwhelming. Darlo always feels like one of those clubs that nobody else knows/cares about - so to read through all this is amazing.

Sincere thanks to all non-Darlo fans who have taken the time to comment.

MKDons.
Team Supported: MKDons.

Post by MKDons. » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:50 am

What a fantastic post! Got here from a link on one of our forums. Hope things work out for you lot, only seems yesterday that we were playing you in League 2! Good luck and regards.

DeejPratlett
Team Supported: Bristol City

Post by DeejPratlett » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:54 am

I just want to say all the best from a Bristol City fan. Unbelievable post and this post alone shows people around the world what football is all about. Have no previous relation to darlington, but will definately be hoping they win on the weekend. Much respect.
p.s Just placed a £10 pound on you to win saturday. If it comes in then you can expect the winnings to be donated to darlington.

Anthony72
Team Supported: Dagenham and Redbridge

Post by Anthony72 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi gents dagenham and redbridge fan

Got to say that has to be one of the best things I've read. I really hope you survive. I be posted a link to this on our forum so you may get a few more daggers fans popping by.

Good luck to you all.

wokinghamred

Post by wokinghamred » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Swindon fan here.

Twice we've been in the same deep s*** as you are , and somehow we've come out the other side.
Don't give up hope.

Great post. I've copied it onto the Swindon forum, TheTownEnd.com

Good Luck.

FTA1895
Team Supported: Shelbourne

Post by FTA1895 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Have just donated a few quid to the fund there and also put €10 on Darlo to win at 16/5. Any winnings to be donated to the team fund.

I got 16/5 with Boylesports. I suggest anyone else viewing this post donate a shilling or two and if a weekend Footie bet is a guilt pleasure have a punt on Darlington and wouldn't harm to donate at least a few bob of your winnings. (obviously depending on result) :)

GazzaJAnimal
Team Supported: AFC Telford United

Post by GazzaJAnimal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 pm

AFC Telford United fan here.

All the best of luck chaps on Saturday, and for the future whatever that may bring. I have always had a spot for Darlo in my affections after the 'old' Telford United played yourselves in the Cup a good many years ago. Sad to see things as they are but keep on fighting for YOUR club.

P.S. I would love to donate, but I'm skinter than a skint thing at a skint things convention. I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow and I've linked this post on our 'buckschat' forum.

loyalgull
Team Supported: torquay

Post by loyalgull » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:37 pm

torquay fan here,really upset about your plight,many many happy memories of visits to both grounds you have played in,you supporters and staff alike are top notch.Hang on in there,something positive will hopefully come along,i dont want you too die,many other football fans dont want you too die either,back in the football league asap please where you rightly belong,good luck will be watching with positive interest

Beds Cherry
Team Supported: AFC Bournemouth

Post by Beds Cherry » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:39 pm

Bournemouth fan here

Like quite a few clubs, we have had the bad times, but luckily enough come through them and things look good at the moment, but we are all aware of what can happen (and will probably happen again!)

No matter what happens, you will be back and stronger for it. Football fans (even Prem types) do care for the plight of proper clubs.

Great post and I have copied to the vital bournemouth board

Good luck and have a good day out tomorrow

alexandralfc
Team Supported: Liverpool

Post by alexandralfc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:45 pm

I am hassling people left right and centre on Twitter to try and get some more support for you guys... will keep on until the deadline!

Keep the faith folks.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:55 pm

alexandralfc wrote:I am hassling people left right and centre on Twitter to try and get some more support for you guys... will keep on until the deadline!

Keep the faith folks.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Can't say anything more, just a bump up the board. :roll:

DTID

1Superlidds

Post by 1Superlidds » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:27 pm

alexandralfc wrote:I am hassling people left right and centre on Twitter to try and get some more support for you guys... will keep on until the deadline!

Keep the faith folks.
excellent! seriously appreciate your efforts :clap:

even beyond the deadline we will be collecting for this or a new club
click on Facebook PIMM Productions for the latest on Darlo Till I Die

alexandralfc
Team Supported: Liverpool

Post by alexandralfc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm currently hassling Joey Barton who has logged on not too long ago... if I whine at him long enough maybe he will retweet! (Trust me, as a Scouser, I am an expert on whining. :lol: ) Also bothering poor Gabby Logan and various journalists and footballers. it may all be in vain but I just want to help.

kaufman
Team Supported: swindon

Post by kaufman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:53 pm

Felt compelled to write on here after finding this link on Twitter via the Local Journo down here.

As a Swindon Fan I know more than most what's it's like to see your club on the brink and I definitely appreciate my club more than ever before. I find myself hardly moaning as much anymore as I'm aware in this day and age I'm lucky to have a local club run by good people after years and years of dodgy characters within (not all) trying and succeeding in taking money from the club.

I saw mentioned earlier someone saying the post needs to be put up in the players dressing room.
I think it needs to be made aware to all footballers, chairmen and directors everywhere. It's the perfect reminder that every club should be treated equally, every club begins made up from the community and for most towns and cities it's their hub, their second home.

I could go on but I won't. I sincerely hope things work out for your club and although probably mentioned there is light at the end of the tunnel, AFC Wimbledon have proved that.

Darlington will live on I'm sure, hopefully in it's current form with a buyer, if not, supporters will find a way I'm sure.

Good Luck for Saturday and beyond

Lord Horn_NCFC
Team Supported: Norwich City

Post by Lord Horn_NCFC » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Yet another Norwich City fan here to wish you all the best for tomorrow and the future. I know we have a drunken witch in charge who gets a bit feisty when she has a mic in her hands but at least she's our drunken witch who cares passionately about the club. Can only sympathise wholeheartedly with your plight and hope that you all come through it one way or another with the spirit of the Club intact.

acciesfan
Team Supported: Hamilton Accies

Post by acciesfan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 pm

FTA1895 wrote:Have just donated a few quid to the fund there and also put €10 on Darlo to win at 16/5. Any winnings to be donated to the team fund.

I got 16/5 with Boylesports. I suggest anyone else viewing this post donate a shilling or two and if a weekend Footie bet is a guilt pleasure have a punt on Darlington and wouldn't harm to donate at least a few bob of your winnings. (obviously depending on result) :)
Put a fiver on @ 17/5 with Hills, will donate any profit to the fighting fund. Some bookies don't have the match listed.