Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Threads covering important moments in Darlo's past, be they big games, big days or big events.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Big Tim
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Post by Big Tim » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:53 am

willprosser wrote:Hi all,
I'm a Notts County fan, but reading this makes me realize how hard it is for clubs like Darlo in the BSP, when money isn't always around...
I've watched Darlo a few times as my friend is a big fan, so we occasionally travel up North to watch the lads...
Can someone just please clarify to me what will happen if a buyer is not found soon, i heard it was £300,000-£500,000 to buy, but that may just be a rumour, so what happens to Raj, the Players & the club if a buyer isn't bought!

I've just donated £50 to the money scheme trying to raise money on the Darlo Uncovered website, hope it helps, just showing my respect to Darlo as a fellow football fan, i regard Darlo as my second team after Notts ofcourse.

I really hope someone buys in and Darlo get back on track, i've seen promising football from the players when i've come to watch...

Cheers, and best of luck
Will
Cheers mate, much appreciated :thumbup:

Avecia

Post by Avecia » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:56 am

I was sent here after following Mark Chapman on twitter who posted the link to the forum. What a fantastic OP.

I myself am a lifelong Falkirk fan, who was taken along to the terraces every home game by my dad who I often think wished he had two sons instead of two daughters, but that didn't matter to me at all because he gave me the gift of football and a love of the game that often rivals my male friends. My fiancé (who supports Newcastle despite his scottish heritage - go figure) always said he'd won a watch the day he met me because he'd never come across a woman who loved football and could actually converse about it instead of sitting, pretending to be interested and asking what the rules of offside were.

My point is, that whether you are a fan of the larger clubs, or smaller local ones, that love of football I think always comes at an early age and it never dies. I don't get to many games at all now as I've moved further away, but it's not an insurmountable distance. This has inspired me to visit home more, this time take my dad out to watch the game on a Saturday and help my club avoid the prospects of administration which they have found themselves in not that long ago. And extra support can only spur the team on - they don't call us the twelfth man (I can let the sexism go on that one) for nothing.

I'd be proud to support a team in trouble and have made a small donation myself to your cause. If you can't afford to stump up cash then spread the word via twitter, facebook, any which way you can. It all helps in the end.

I really hope that Barrow isn't your last game. I for one will be cheering you on.

Good luck folks :)
Last edited by Avecia on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

117south
Team Supported: Man City

Post by 117south » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:58 am

Man City fan here,

Wonderful words on the OP and such a shame at whats happened, I feel for every one of you who has to go through this and can only cross my fingers with everyone else that something good happens for you all! not sure if this has been put on our forums yet but i'll make sure it does.

Keep the faith, so long as the fans are still alive, the club will never die!

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:03 pm

117south wrote:Man City fan here,

Wonderful words on the OP and such a shame at whats happened, I feel for every one of you who has to go through this and can only cross my fingers with everyone else that something good happens for you all! not sure if this has been put on our forums yet but i'll make sure it does.

Keep the faith, so long as the fans are still alive, the club will never die!
Thanks mate, spread the word :thumbup:

NCFC1980
Team Supported: Norwich city

Post by NCFC1980 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Norwich city fan here living local can't belive the sure Passion in this post I hope you don't mind but I posted it on Twitter and hot a few RT one from one of our legends huckerby https://mobile.twitter.com/connect. I would hate to think that this would ever happen to our club so I thought I'd like to come on and show my support for You guys and wish you all the best with everything you are doing for darlington fc.

pgowling

Post by pgowling » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:14 pm

awesome post!
Flying the flag for Darlo across the pond.

North West Hornet
Team Supported: Watford

Post by North West Hornet » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Watford Fan here
Great but very sad post. Good luck for Saturday and the future.
Darlington a proper local community club :clap: :clap: :clap:

MikeyT
Team Supported: Leicester

Post by MikeyT » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:32 pm

A Leicester City fan here. The original post in this thread has made it to our forum on Foxestalk. Just wanted to wish the fans and the club all the best. I have tweeted this page as well so that it can be noticed by all.
An amazing post and very emotional. I can't obviously understand what you as supporters of Darlington feel or are going through, but I want to wish all the luck in the world to your club. I'm sure I echo this for all Leicester supporters.

Palestinian
Team Supported: Crystal Palace, Mansfield

Post by Palestinian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:35 pm

Crystal Palace and Mansfield fan (it’s a long story…. ) in peace.

A great opening post, brought a tear to my eye

Irrespective of which club's future is on the line – genuine, non-plastic, football supporters will be willing on clubs in trouble to survive. Like Darlo, Palace has been through the administration mire too many times.

Things look bleak, very bleak indeed for you but keep the faith and remember that these things have a habit of being sorted out in the very last seconds of the eleventh hour of the final day when all hope seems to be dripping away. Never ever give up hope of a resolution though - 18 months ago, Palace were a couple of hours from folding but we are now a couple of games away from a trip to Wembley.

Yes, you beat my second team at Wembley but I won’t hold it against you. I want a re-match! I want a trip to Wembley in May 2013! I want to see the amber and blue meet the black and white there again.

But right now I want you to survive until your trip to Field Mill on 4 February and then to see Darlington still down for another trip there in 2012/13 when the Conference fixtures come out in June, as it will mean that the Quakers have survived to battle to the Stags again.

Good luck guys.

jambo
Team Supported: Hearts

Post by jambo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:36 pm

Hearts fan here. Had to register to congratulate you on a brilliant and heartfelt post and to wish you all the very best. That's what supporting your club is all about. There are tough times ahead for many of us and I had no idea things were all that bad at Darlington but I think your efforts will go a long way to making sure lots of people in the UK are now aware of your situation. I'll be rooting for you on Saturday and sounds like many thousands of other football supporters will be doing the same. The very best of luck to you. :thumbup:

nork1
Team Supported: Palace

Post by nork1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Palace fan here... beautifully written, that really brought a lump to my throat. We know all too well what you're going through - keep the faith and good luck.

Sapphire
Team Supported: Huddersfield Town

Post by Sapphire » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Huddersfield Town fan here

We have been moaning that we are only 5th in League One.

Puts things into perspective.

I live in Lancaster, so will probably go to Barrow on Saturday as we play tomorrow night. Hope you dont mind blue and white stripes.

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index ... read=63665

See you at Holker Street

darlotoon

Post by darlotoon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:48 pm

I think it is brilliant that other teams fans want to come along and support us , please wear your colours with pride !!

cardiffcityfan
Team Supported: Cardiff City

Post by cardiffcityfan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:00 pm

To MKDarlo and all Darlington Fans

What a special post, brings what its like to be a football fan and how special our clubs are to us.

I've been to Darlo and enjoyed the old ground (never been to the new one) and had a good laugh with some of your supporters and i think a clip round the ear another time!!!

Good people at Darlo.

What a great post at such a sad time and i truely hope that the Barrow game can be a celebration. I hope you guys stick together and never forget.

Your thread was posted on the cardiff city forum messageboard and thats why i registered.

Keep standing tall Darlo-with pride, passion and humour

it goes without saying that a donation is on its way.

RESPECT

eddiep

pacbuddies
Team Supported: Aston Villa

Post by pacbuddies » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Received this post from a link to villatalk.com

It is a heartfelt post from a true football fan. We Villa fans think we are going through some tough times at present with a s*** manager and an owner who is about as frequently seen at games as Lord Lucan but by christ you guys are the real deal.

I wish you all the luck at Barrow on Saturday and truly hope that a saviour is out there and Darlington FC can continue.

Football needs clubs and fans like you.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:16 pm

unreal post mk the reaction in the last 24 hours! wow.

hopefully we can all enjoy saturday whatever happens and as many as possible can make the trip over to barrow

alexandralfc
Team Supported: Liverpool

Post by alexandralfc » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

I would love to come to the game and bring my fella. Will you accept a Scouser (me) and an Ipswich fan (him)?

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:45 pm

alexandralfc wrote:I would love to come to the game and bring my fella. Will you accept a Scouser (me) and an Ipswich fan (him)?
Get ya'self along, sample what real football is.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:47 pm

alexandralfc wrote:I would love to come to the game and bring my fella. Will you accept a Scouser (me) and an Ipswich fan (him)?
With open arms :D

Bermudian Green
Team Supported: Plymouth Argyle

Post by Bermudian Green » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Argyle fan here.

What a fantastic post by the OP. After the time Argyle have had recently, we know only too well how you guys are feeling right now.

Best wishes for the future - I'm sure you will have one. I look forward to celebrating another Wembley win against you at some point.

TheMightyReds
Team Supported: Wrexham

Post by TheMightyReds » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Well Done mate :clap:
All of us Wrexham fans are behind you! :thumbup:

fashanu9
Team Supported: Norwich

Post by fashanu9 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Norwich fan here, just seen this after it was linked to one of our forums.

Fantastic article sums up all the pride and passion of being a fan and all the highs and lows which we've all been through in our own way.

Hope your put on a great show and that its not the end of the line for you. And i defy anyone to read this without a lump in there throat.

otbc

scaley back rover
Team Supported: doncaster rovers

Post by scaley back rover » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Donny Rovers fan in peace,

Hope your club get through this and come back stronger than ever . We at donny know what you are going through and hope the worse dosnt happen to your club . Stick together be loud be proud and hopefully you will come out of the otherside as we have . Will be looking out for your score . Keep the faith

AUFC
Team Supported: Ayr United

Post by AUFC » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:08 pm

A brilliant and touching post; it can't be easy to see something you've loved for many years on the brink of extinction. Good luck to all Darlington fans, players and staff.

Olympicdale
Team Supported: Rochdale AFC

Post by Olympicdale » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Rochdale fan here, fantastic post, already on our M/B. I sincerely hope that you get out of this situation and get back on your feet again, ive always had a soft spot for Darlo, your not too unlike us, keep fighting, the club will never die as long as there is strength from the fans!

best of luck! :thumbup:

MKDarlo_LB

Post by MKDarlo_LB » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Darlo has been in my life for as long as i can remember because of the OP, from stories about Pedro Paulo's little boots, to scarves, signed shirts, photos and even a legendary hat of power. Although i have never been a die hard fan like my brother I have always had a special place in my heart for Darlo, even after moving all over the country. I have shared the ups and downs of the club and even on one occasion been banned Feethams for half a season by him for being a curse!

The element about passing Darlo on to the next generation is espeically poignent to me because he has just begun to take my 6 year old son to games. This has included his first ever football match at Billingham pre season a few years ago, his first wembley final & his first away game at Luton this season. They alway enjoytheir trips out to the game even if results don't go Darlo's way.

I know that if Darlo don't go on after the Barrow game my house will become a bit duller and quiter on a Saturday from now on.

I don't know if you understand what the messages of support mean to the OP but i'd like to say thanks to everyone for posting.

darlotoon

Post by darlotoon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Yeah the next generation got me too , there a few of us all with kids aged 11-14 and we have fought hard to keep the magic of Darlo alive for our young'uns in days when they are bombarded on every angle with the Premiership and The Champions league etc. Our young'un went to his first match down at Feethams , it was against Oxford not a great success as he was more interested in kicking the loose bits of concrete from the terraces about. To make him feel more a part of this club we sent him to the Football in the Community over the season it cost more than our adult season tickets but it was worth it , he was hooked !From the old days in the Quaker centre to the nomadic existence it had until it disbanded he went along made loads of mates and grew to love HIS club. He is now 14 , has experienced Playoff heartache , Wembley lows and that massive Wembley high this year and more sadly 3 administrations. I hope he will get the pleasure of taking the next generation still to watch this club in years to come , lets keep fighting !

GillsSh
Team Supported: Gillingham

Post by GillsSh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:56 pm

All the best from Gillingham FC.

The story has reached one of our forums this afternoon and after reading the post I felt the urge to pledge my full support to you.

Good luck on Saturday at Barrow, enjoy it and I hope you somehow escape this perilous situation!

Up the Gills & Darlington!

Spitfire
Team Supported: Gillingham

Post by Spitfire » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Alas, like many other poster's clubs on this thread, we've been to the brink as well. We were fortunate (although, in light of our Chairman's current popularity, many of our fans might question that now) and were saved at the last minute. Hopefully something good will happen for you guys as well. Too many Clubs are falling by the wayside for the sake of a couple of weeks wages of a Premiership player. Can't be right :thumbdown:

All the best for Saturday and the future.

vectorboro
Team Supported: Boro

Post by vectorboro » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:01 pm

I just want to say what a fantastic job you are all doing in raising the awareness of your clubs plight. MKDarlo tweeted me last night and asked me to read his post on here which I thought was one of the most passionate and heartfelt writing about football that I have ever read.

I have retweeted the link to a lot of people and posted it on Facebook, it all helps and I truly wish you all the best in what you are doing.

I have been contacted by a Boro fan who is a barrister and chartered accountant who has said he will help you out or your group supporters trust with any advice you may need FOC.

A lot of Boro fans are feeling your pain , but we also know that you should never give up.Get the message out there to as many people and you never know what can happen.

Good luck this weekend and to the future of Darlington FC.