Hazard and the ball boy

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BUSHEAD
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hazard and the ball boy

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 am

Any Darlo fans remember 28th Sep 1996 Darlington v Fulham ?

Memories can flooding straight back.
Think before posting

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 am

BUSHEAD wrote:Any Darlo fans remember 28th Sep 1996 Darlington v Fulham ?

I think I remember the game, (did we lose 0-6?) but can't remember much about what happened....

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

quakerray

Re: Swansea v Chelsea Ball Boy Incident...

Post by quakerray » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 am

heres the video, 1st time ive seen it this morning, he did seem to be over acting a bit.
http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0 ... 66,00.html
glad swansea got through, makes a change from the big 4 being there.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:39 am

I find it odd that people seem to be going one way or the other the ballboy is the villain of the piece or Hazard is. Why can't people just find it quite funny and a little entertaining!?

The ball boy isn't a 'prick' he was being a bit cheeky and Chelsea weren't coming back into that game either way.

Hazard wanted to win and to get the ball back and I think even he would have been thinking at the time "I can't believe this is what happens in English football". His act wasn't of brutality it was a little kick - seriously the lad will have had worse injuries in the normal course of his day!

It was nowhere near of the same force as Cantona. Cantona flung himself into the bloke. I think Chris Foy played it safe and covered his own back only with the benefit of tv replays can you seen how it was much about nothing.

As for those saying he's "only" 17. That's not a little child any more Cesc Fabregas was 16 holding his own in the centre of Arsenals midfield. At 17 you know you are antagonising and should know that your actions have repercussions!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:41 am

Big Al wrote:

I think I remember the game, (did we lose 0-6?) but can't remember much about what happened....

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
Did our ballboys hold onto the ball so we couldn't lose any more heavily?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:49 am

BUSHEAD wrote:Btw is that right the b.boy is also the swansea chairmans son ?
Looks more like a young Craig Bellamy to me - that's probably what went through Hazard's mind too, hence the kick.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:05 am

DarloOnTheUp wrote:It's his own fault for not doing his job and being a little bellend. All Hazard was trying to do was get the ball.

But no, let's victimise Hazard as a monster and dramatise the whole thing totally out of proportion. He was only an innocent toddler after all.
:clap:

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:41 am

Bushead,
was that the league cup match that we lost 2-0 against them, sounds about the right time. The only delays I remember from that game were the number of times the ball left the ground. Over the tinshed by there lousy shooting and over the paddock from our defenders finding row Z !(At least 2 found the river).

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:14 am

Was a normal league match, we got beat 2-0.
Fulham were v.dirty , making us use all 3 subs in the first half . Remember Robbie Blake in particular being on the end of a meaty challenge.
So as you can imagine the crowd were already quite worked up. Then a fulham player even hit one of our ball boys.
I was only 13 at the time but remember there was hell on about it.
Think before posting

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 am

Don't think he hit the ballboy, just manhandled him. Was Micky Adams wasn't it?

Team: Newell, Brumwell, Barnard, Twynham, Crosby, Brydon, Oliver, Atkinson, Roberts, Blake, Carss.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

DL5

Post by DL5 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:25 am

quakersam wrote:
DL5 wrote:
inappropriateh wrote:Complete joke. Hazard goes to retrieve the ball, ball boy falls on top of it and refuses to let go, hazard attempts to kick the ball from underneath the dozy ball boy and retrieves the ball. He clearly kicks the ball and not the dozy ball boy who then rolls about on the floor feigning injury. No doubt hazard will get a long ban for this and I do not have any affinity to Chelsea but this is a sorry situation for all concerned
Wrong, clearly kicks him in the ribs

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ll-1552195
Wrong, clearly kicks the ball
Behave :lol:

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:27 am

The b.boy in question is a friend of mine, sure he struck him with an elbow.
The echo archives website only goes back to 2000 , which is a shame as it was mentioned in there.
Didn't realise it was micky Adams .
Think before posting

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 am

Imagine if a ball boy/girl at Wimbledon refused to roll a new ball onto court! They would never be allowed to work there again, and quite rightly so. The ball boy at Swansea is apparently 17 years old so obviously knew exactly what he was doing and should be banned from working in that position by Swansea with immediate effect in my opinion. If he was at Old Trafford and did that anywhere near Sir Alex.....well I have a suspicion that he would have faired a lot worse lol.
COME ON DARLO!

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 am

Not if it were going into "Fergie time" and they were winning he wouldn't

DL5

Post by DL5 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 am

It's quite clear that Hazard has intentionally given the lad a punt in the ribs out of frustration. The ballboy's actions were poor throughout and I hope he gets a bollocking but it's hardly an excuse for Hazard's actions.

Some people are saying it was a kick at the ball or unintentional but what I see is Hazard unable to get to the ball so he kicks the thing preventing him getting it ie the lad's ribs. Onlly when the lad rolls over does the ball then become free. Embarrasing all round really.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 am

Think some people need a bloody reality check.
Of course the ball boy was gonna waste literally 4 seconds. Think he was just gonna stand there and not get the ball ???
Hazard was a dick, and was quite rightly sent off.
Bet Benitez is chuffed to bits this happened as its totally distracted away from a poor Chelsea performance.
Think before posting

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:23 am

The red card was correct, the reaction and comparisons to Eric Cantona wheel kicking a fan in the chest are absolutely embarrassing. Ball boys get too big for their boots with time wasting more and more often. They are there to speed up getting the ball back on to the pitch. When they do anything besides that the club should take some sort of hit for it and ultimately the little s*** shouldn't be given the chance to do it again. Bollocks to this "poor lad" crap, he'll have had dead arms at school that hurt more than that "kick" did. It would have been funnier if Hazard went through him like he was taking a last minute penalty frankly.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:35 am

Bushead is referring to the home league match in the 96/97 season which we lost 0-2 (0-6 was the away game).

I think it was either Carpenter / Freeman (both were long haired) who pushed a ballboy over to ge the ball near where the portakabins toilets were (almost directly underneath the camera position). It caused a mini riot at the time, but no action was taken from the referee. There was no element of our ball boy holding the game up; we were 1-0 down at the time!

Fuham were mean, vicious two-hats that year. But also good. They scored two beauties either side of the incident (Carpenter got the second).

My word, I remember loads from the games before I started to drink!

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:21 am

The ball boy should be shot for terrible acting and Hazard shot for being Belgian.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

tonyspain

Post by tonyspain » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:37 am

every ball boy should have a spare ball, when a ball goes out of play he passes the spare ball to the player, before going to retrieve the other ball, easy.

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Adrian Durham spot on in the mail, IMO :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... astle.html

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 pm

I've always harboured a hatred for Fulham since that game. Like GQ says they were a horrid side who kicked us off the park in the game at Feethams. I think we used all our subs in the first 35 minutes to cover for injuries. Ironically I seem to recall us finishing with ten men as well.

Like GQ I remember more from the mid 90s than I do more recent seasons.... I blame GQ.... my consumption of drink increased massively from the day I met him in Exeter for an away game. He'll be proud of that in some respects.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:55 pm

Whatever the Ball boy did or did not do, nothing justifies Hazard assaulting him.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Assaulting him? Behave.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:13 pm

spen666 wrote:Whatever the Ball boy did or did not do, nothing justifies Hazard assaulting him.
Assault!! Give over you namby pamby liberal do-gooder. You're exactly what's wrong with this country - if the ball boy wanted to act like a knob, he should be prepared for the consequence. Bet he's not as gentle when he's nicking mobiles with his chavvy mates.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 pm

Just for a bit of context, the poor defenseless child Hazard brutally assaulted (with the same sort of force as when you brush shoulders with another pedestrian in a crowded high street), is 17 years old, the same age Amir Khan was when he won a silver medal in boxing at the Olympics.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Merge went a bit wrong there :shock:
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:09 pm

The lad tweeted about time wasting with the ball before the match apparently according to the radio, silly boy has over shadowed a brilliant result, just hope Bradford stuff them now

piggy

Post by piggy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Yes remember that one! I think it was just before Al Fayed got involved at Fulham, remember Gary Twyham hitting the post and we outplayed them for the vast part (think Twyham might have even got a red card at the end?)

Thought the fulham player in question surname was Thomas? Shicking the ref did nowt and I remember it kicking off in the tin shed

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:49 pm

I don't think either party is going to come out of this smelling of roses. Eden Hazard was wrong to react in the way he did, but the Swansea ballboy was clearly doing his best to prevent him from getting the ball back.

The referee didn't really have any other option other than to send Hazard off, but Swansea should also ensure that the ballboy is punished for his part in the incident.